Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Dogleg/Snailshell Shift Quirks when Cold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Legitimate Salvage  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:09 pm    Post subject: Dogleg/Snailshell Shift Quirks when Cold Reply with quote

Greetings all,
I have noticed something consistent about my dogleg 5 speed that I want your opinions on. For lack of a better description, when the car (and the transmission) is cold, it feels like the gears aren't syncing. For example, if I downshift into 2nd gear to take a sharp corner, it wants to "brrrrt" the gears (like I tried to make the gear change without disengaging the clutch). I've made the same observation about reverse gear. When it's cold it won't go into reverse without a "brrrrt". I've learned that when it's cold, to engage the clutch, then move the shifter from 1st to 2nd to 3rd a couple times, then it goes into revers without grinding gears. Now once the car has "warmed up", I don't notice this problem.

I've only noticed this with downshifts to 2nd gear and Reverse.

I remember my Dad's 1979 Toyota Celica GT (the car I learned to drive on) was similarly "dimwitted" about downshifting and I was instructed to "downshift" from say 5th to 3rd by disengaging the clutch, putting the shifter in 4th then 3rd, then engage the clutch.

I've been doing exactly this on my 924, but it doesn't seem to help. Or is that a bad idea? Just wanting your opinions on whether this is a natural quirk of the dogleg transmission, a shifter issue or operator error?
safe  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reverse grinds the clutch isn't disengaging fully. That will wear out the syncros even if the gears isn't grinding.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
daniel  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro's may be worn, change the oil and consider a thicker grade of oil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: