Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Suggestions for front clip installation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Suggestions for front clip installation Reply with quote

While waiting for parts to finish up the oil plumbing. Thinking about one of the next major issues.

I have CCP Fabrication front fenders and lower valance/air dam for the car. Considering that it is much easier to do serious engine bay work with those panels removed, does any have suggestions for an body panel installation which allows somewhat easier installation/removal of these panels. And I don't want top make it into a 1 piece front, as I'd never be able to handle it by myself.

Example, I don't think there is enough open space in the channel for using Dzus fasteners for the fenders. The fenders fit quite nicely to the existing mounting track. I haven't trial fit the lower valance yet, but it appears to at least fasten to a wing on the lower front fender and the bumper might also support it.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would actually expect Dzus fasteners to fit in that rail - though I suppose I'd have to check to be certain.

Or maybe just velcro?

Dzus fasteners are quite a paint for regularly installed/removed stuff - for example, hood/engine cover. Or everything, on my racecar. But for fenders, I'd say they'd still be reasonable, not like you're regularly pulling those at the track. They're a pain to continually line up, often you end up having to do one magic one first, then the rest will go... and if you get 'em tight enough, then they can be a pain to completely install. Then they pop loose... etc etc.

I have had a lot of success with the Quik-Latch fasteners (http://www.quik-latch.com/) but they may be overkill for some of these points.

Though I am a big fan of fasteners not requiring tools, at least for quick/pit lane access to the car - which is why I've ditched all Dzus fasteners on my (P2) car, for a combination of Aerocatches, regular draw latches, and the Quik-latches.
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: