Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Fuel starvation?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
poor-sche  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Fuel starvation? Reply with quote

Hello All,

I've owned my 931 for a little over a year now with virtually no issues. Not sure if this was due to good luck or I somehow found myself a good example (which would also be good luck). I use the car occasionally on the weekends; that is to say, it doesn't get used much at all.

Anyhow, yesterday I took the car for a spin. I was on the freeway cruising at around 70 mph for approximately 5-10 min when suddenly, I can feel the car losing power. I pulled over and the car dies completely. I turn the key and the car fires back up like nothing happened. I pull off the freeway and start driving back home using streets. About 5 min. later it happens again and once again it fires right back up. The rest of the way home, I was wringing it out every chance I got, but it never shut off again.

It felt like it was being starved of fuel, but I do remember smelling a slight rich fuel smell come into the cabin each time it happened. I believe the car has a wide band sensor installed, but no A/F gauge.

Thoughts?
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it an S1 or S1? your signature says S1 but better be sure.
If its an S2 then DITC connection.

If S1 perhaps ignition box connection(front wheel well) or fuel pump on its way out(I heard mine stop and car died a couple of times just like yours) or its just the fuse that's corroded or not having proper contact or the pump wiring at the pump is corroded and not properly secured....or the fuel pump relay is on its way out or its terminals a bit corroded.

have a check on those...in my case it was just the fuse that was not seated properly and it developed some corrosion so I just cleaned it and lived on since
poor-sche  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's an S1.

Thanks for your suggestions. As far as I know, the car has lived it's entire life in Southern California and has Zero signs of corrosion, but I'll check regardless. Since I bought the car, I've noticed the fuel pump buzzes pretty loudly (you can hear it both inside and out with the car running). Is this normal?
Paul  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1980 931S (long gone) did this years ago, in my case it was caused by the fuel filter being installed backwards by the PO.
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add checking the overboost switch and it's connection to morghens nice list..
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fasteddie313 wrote:
Add checking the overboost switch and it's connection to morghens nice list..

jesus, how did I miss that? lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: