Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Heater blower motor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric P  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Heater blower motor Reply with quote

Well, I just completed my 1500 mile trip to Iowa and back this weekend. Overall it went smoothly, and I only had one issue.

The heater fan motor died about 300 miles in. I have power to the motor, but it's difficult to spin by hand. I'm assuming by the noise it made that the brushes finally gave out.

I'm trying to find photos showing the removal of an early (1980) style blower. Most of the photos I've found are broken photobucket photos. I've gathered that I have to remove the dash or at least the console to get at the motor, but I'd love to see some photos if anyone has them.

Are there any other solutions besides pulling the dash and rebuilding the old armature? The stock fan has always seemed really weak, so I'd like to upgrade it if I have to go through all that trouble anyway. It would be even better if I could upgrade it and replace everything from under the hood.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to get it from above, but that includes cutting the plastic holding the fan and gluing it back with some reinforcements. I did it that way since i didn't have time or wanted to pull the dash then. It works perfectly. I have pics if you can't find any other ones. I got the inspiration from another board member who did it in a similar way.
Eric P  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cédric wrote:
It is possible to get it from above, but that includes cutting the plastic holding the fan and gluing it back with some reinforcements. I did it that way since i didn't have time or wanted to pull the dash then. It works perfectly. I have pics if you can't find any other ones. I got the inspiration from another board member who did it in a similar way.

If you would be able to post pictures of what you did, I would really appreciate it! I found a few threads where people retrofitted another fan, but it's almost impossible to tell what they did or how they did it without photos.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a VW Rabbit motor in and could also send pics, but it got pretty ugly to do as getting the case back together was a real cluge job. I have a fan motor(vertical) that spins from my take-a-part car that spins, but no guarantees other than that that you would be welcome to for cost of shipping, but I'm traveling until Nov 25.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Eric P  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on tearing into this weekend. If anyone has pictures of your blower motor fix, please post them. I found a handful of threads on the topic, but all pictures are dead.

I have a couple ideas, but I need to take some measurements before I decide what direction to go and order parts. I'd like to make it easy to swap the fan from above, but I may end up pulling the dash eventually to put it back to the factory configuration.
Eric P  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It got too cold to work on my car again, so I did some more research.

It appears that the fan assembly in my 1980 (Part number 321 819 021) actually has a replaceable motor. The part number on the motor is a Bosch part number (0 130 007 021), which isn't available separately from the fan. I'd really like to avoid hacking up this car if I can. Buying a new blower for $230+ isn't in the cards for me at the moment and I can't justify spending over $100 on an used motor that may fail again soon. The motor on the car at the junk yard is worse off than the one in my car so that's out too.

I stumbled across a fun fact: there are reproduction motors being sold for the 911. The Bosch part number for these motors is 0 130 007 002. The cheapest one I've found is about $52. I know these are different part numbers but the motors look pretty darn similar if not the same as far as mounting. Can anyone confirm if a 911 heater fan motor will fit in a 924? If not, is it worth taking a shot at for $52?
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try some lubrication. Mine made a horrible squall, but with the air flap open I was able to hit it with teflon bike chain lube and it hasn't made a peep since.
Eric P  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
You might try some lubrication. Mine made a horrible squall, but with the air flap open I was able to hit it with teflon bike chain lube and it hasn't made a peep since.

I think I waited too long for that. The fan stopped squealing and seized up. I had a burning electronics smell coming from the vents. I pulled the fuse for now, but I have a feeling the motor let the magic blue smoke out. I'm not sure how to get lube down to the bottom bearing anyway. If I can find a new motor for less than $100 and fix it correctly and for good, I would be happy.

I'll give lube a shot, but I have a feeling I have bigger problems now that I waited too long.

I may buy the 911 motor. I just don't want to pull my dash and find out that the new motor doesn't fit!
Eric P  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I listened to Rasta Monsta. I had a can of penetrating oil kicking around the garage so I sprayed the upper bearing and the armature with it. I assumed the oil would drip down the armature into the lower bearing because I couldn't reach it. I didn't have high hopes but I had nothing to lose. I popped the fuse in but it was still seized, so I pulled the battery again.

Fast forward two weeks: I replaced my windshield washer motor and lines. I hooked the battery back up and turned the key so I could prime the new lines. Lo and behold! The fan started whirring! The chirping noise is completely gone. My only problem now is the smell of the penetrating oil (the stuff I used stinks!). I'm sure the smell will go away after a while though and it sure beats having a fogged up window while driving. So the moral of this story is to always oil the bearing before you assume all is lost. If the fan squeaks, don't wait as long as I did to oil it because it will set up.

Thank you Rasta Monsta!

If somebody has a motor that's complete toast, I would still like to know if the 911 motor will fit. They look pretty much the same from what I can see.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me I oughtta get in there and hit mine with some bike chain lube... now that I have gallons of the stuff around for my chain-drive racecar...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Eric P  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

924RACR wrote:
That reminds me I oughtta get in there and hit mine with some bike chain lube... now that I have gallons of the stuff around for my chain-drive racecar...

Take a whiff of it first. You're going to be smelling that for a long time since all of your air will be flowing past the fan. If I had actually thought that it might work, I would have gone with a little Marvel Mystery Oil. It smells like wintergreen. Much better than the no-name stuff I used.
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Removal of heater fan motor on 924 Reply with quote

Eric...I am in the process of restoring my 1981 Porsche 924. I recently removed the dash and had it recovered. After reinstalling the dash and before putting the glove box in place, I thought I would check the fan out. There was a sound that indicated the squirrel cage was hitting the lower cover. I was sure that I would have to remove the entire dash to get it out. Another forum member told me that it could be removed by removing the three mounting screws and pulling out. What I found was that you could do it but you have to remove the lower shaft nut, after removing the three mounting screws. Then you also must separate the shaft from the plastic squirrel cage. There are 4ea 10mm mount screws that hold the whole box to the dash. If you remove those you can move the whole box downward and then pull the motor and mount plate out and remove it from the squirrel cage before bringing out. You can then wiggle the squirrel cage (SQ) around and get it out. I had to clean my SQ and then gained a few thousanths of an inch by using a big bit and removing a little material from the inside end of the SQ shaft post. Then While the system is out you can run on the bench with a battery charge and check for dry bearings etc.
When you reassemble, put the SQ back first then the motor and shaft.
be sure you put appropriate washers under the shaft nut so that the SQ stays up and the shaft shoulder is kept in place in relation to the motor.
this can all be determined while the motor and SQ are being run on the bench.

The motor and plate are put back in, shaft nut and spacing washers in place, then lift the box and reinstall the 10mm head screws.

I was also told that some of the motor plates were secured with an adhesive so a little force may be needed to separate the motor/plate from the box> However in my case the motor and plate came right off.

Eric, I realize you were able to lub in place, however I thought this procedure might be of interest in case you had to remove in the future.
Ted
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: