Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

4-speed TLC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agfisher  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: 4-speed TLC? Reply with quote

Hey!

So i have my 4-speed on the bench and I'm getting ready to put it back in (had it out to clean the fuel tank). Is there any maintainence you guys would perform while it is so accessible? If so, what would you recommend. Also, do any of you paint your transmission or do you leave it as is?

Side note, i want to keep the 4-speed to keep the car original.

Thanks,

Adam
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil change perhaps?
If its not leaking oil or making noises then leave it be, don't paint it.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read some where that it might be good to change the input shaft seal. I got one from Sunset P. in Oregon and it was an easy change. But, this car had been sitting for 15 years so probably quite dry. The seal fits back in a tube as compared to the 5 speed seal which fits in the housing and is visible. I might have a spare tube if you need it as I bought some from Sunset thinking they were the clutch release bearing tube. I had the tranny back in the car before I got the tubes so I can't swear they are the right one. Supposedly they were the last ones left in Germany. I changed the oil also and got the shift linkage arm(on top) which takes a bit of play out of the linkage from 944only, about $25, their sort shift kit only fits the Audi 5 speed. That linkage arm is supposedly he** to change when the tranny is in the car.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change all the linkage parts, makes a big difference on shift feel. I got my box dry ice blasted, and then had some clear coat on it to keep it from oxidizing, and it's easy to clean.

And of course all the input /output shaft seals as mentioned above
daniel  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We rehashed a 914 box by letting petrol sit in it for 24 hours, flushing thoroughly and replacing all seals. That was 7 years ago and still going great.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On recommendation of our local off road and odd ball mechanic I filledmine with diesel and rolled it over a few times then drained and refilled. I will have change it again after one or two heat cycles as it has not been run for close to 20 years.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: