Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Road Trip!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric P  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Road Trip!! Reply with quote

Next month I'm going to be driving my 924 from New York to Iowa and back for a friend's wedding. I'll be in the seat a little over 22 hours plus whatever driving I do while I'm there. I've never put that many miles on an older vehicle all at once. My longest drive in the '24 so far was a weekend camping trip that ended up being about 800 miles round trip. I'd love any advice about what to do before I leave, tools to bring, spare parts, etc.

Are any of you guys willing to share some stories about your longest drive in your 924?

Pictures of your trips would be awesome too! I'd love to find some scenic areas along the way if anyone has any suggestions?
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Ducktape and wd40 as a first.
-zip ties
-screw driver flat and crossed
-a small set of wrenches.
-fuel pump relay
-fuses
-inflated spare wheel and jack
-5L of water just in case
-2L of oil
-alternator belt spare
-alternator charging module spare
-emergency start battery pack (in case your battery goes flat for some reason and you cant/don't want to jumpstart the car)

Check that the brakes work fine, steering is fine, lights work fine, charging works fine, tires are fine, engine and gearbox are fine, if you can-check the fuel mixture.
Have fun driving it but push it too hard, rather try to drive in a fuel efficient way and you should be fine.

I did a couple of 24h in one go trips in my 924s and I did my longest drive with both of my 924s at the same time, one driven by a friend. 3000miles.
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're coming across northern IL, there are some beautiful roads that branch off of HWY 20 between the center and western border of the state.

Safe travels and take pictures along the way! Enjoy your drive!
Eric P  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:

Have fun driving it but push it too hard, rather try to drive in a fuel efficient way and you should be fine.

I'll try my best. Even normal driving has to be a bit spirited with a 2.0L NA

jacobroufa wrote:
If you're coming across northern IL, there are some beautiful roads that branch off of HWY 20 between the center and western border of the state.

Safe travels and take pictures along the way! Enjoy your drive!

I'll be driving through the night on the way there but I should have a little more time to explore on the way back. I'll definitely be giving it a go.
D Hook  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you post your itinerary, you'll find a lot of owners along the way that would be willing to lend a hand if you have trouble.
Defender405  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going as far as Des Moines and have an issue, let me know and I will help if I can. There are some nice roads in NE Iowa but once you get past Iowa City they straighten out and get a little bit boring. I-80 isn't too much fun in any car, maybe a little better in the old toofah though.

1979 924 N/A
1975 MGB
1991 Infiniti M30
1987 300ZX Turbo
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Hook wrote:
If you post your itinerary, you'll find a lot of owners along the way that would be willing to lend a hand if you have trouble.

This.

I'm on the north side of Detroit... assuming you're going through Ontario from upstate NY, I'd recommend routing through Sarnia/Port Huron rather than Windsor/Downtown Detroit...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Eric P  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Hook wrote:

My plan as it sits now is to be packed when I head to work on Friday Nov 10th. I'll be leaving Rochester, NY after work... somewhere between 5 and 6 pm. I'll be driving straight to Davenport, IA. Depending on how tired I am, I may stop for the night. Otherwise, I plan on doing all 11.5 hours straight through sticking to major highways with minimal stops. I'd rather stick to highways as most of the trip there will be in the dark. I wasn't planning on going through Canada. I think it's a bit quicker to go the southern route with my planned start and end points. I'll definitely be avoiding major cities (Cleveland, outskirts of Chicago, etc.)

For the return trip, I'm planning on leaving Davenport around 6 or 7 am on Monday Nov 13th. I'd like to see if I can find a couple scenic roads on the way back. My schedule is fairly open for driving back but I'd like to do it in 1 day if possible.

Morghen, did you have an alternator issue along the way? I replaced my alternator about 3500 miles ago. When I did that, I installed all new belts, a new alternator cooling hose, new ground strap, and a new battery. I also replaced the old rubber alternator mount bushings with aluminum ones that I turned on the lathe. There aren't any rubber bushings left to fail and chew up a belt, but I'll take your advice and bring a new one anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: