Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

New "no start" thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toast54  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to make a short movie. after about 15- 20 seconds of running, it began spurting out of the hose leading from the AOS so fast, I couldn't catch it. It's very thin and VERY frothy but doesn't have that sweetish coolant odor, more like oil . I see no sign of oil in my coolant and my oil is clean. I'm going to start it again this evening, keep an eye on my oil pressure and coolant temp AND see if it quits blowing out of the AOS. One of these days I will figure out how to post photos
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF at all possible, do a leak down test. Your rings may be very bad and pressurizing the crankcase. We ran a 24 hour race once and pumped out about a quart of oil every hour.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
toast54  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how the rings would have gone bad. I installed strut inserts in early July, so it sat for two weeks. Started it to move it and it wouldn't start again. Took me several weeks to sort through what turned out to be a well hidden disconnected DME to fuel pump relay ground wire. Maybe the rings froze up in the cylinders or something, but I noticed not only does it push an oily mess through the AOS hose, it also pushes it up through the oil fill tube. Turned into a real fustercluck. Not sure where I am going from here
jazz guy  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you figured out what's thinning your oil? You mentioned that it doesn't smell like coolant, are you sure? Milky looking froth could be coolant mixing.
If not, maybe fuel getting in and thinning the oil? Leaky injector/s? What's the oil level been doing?
toast54  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible I suppose. As a test I blocked the hose from the AOS and the oily mix backed out through the fuel system charcoal canister, until I uncapped it...oil is getting into the cylinders, though, as it is burning blue
Paul  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun please drain your oil and measure how much drains out. This sounds like an over filled oil pan....
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
toast54  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started dismantling..fuel rail, intake..I can see quite a bit of oil on the engine Once I have it down to the AOS I will be draining the oll. Clarks Garage and various youtubers are quite helpful. Tool access at my plant is also a boon
toast54  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, well I dismantled everything and pulled the air oil separator and this is what I found. The top orange oring is rounded and seem to be OK., but the bottom is a different story. Its flattened, but worse than that a chunk of metal is missing out of the insertion hole. It's quite jagged. I'd post a photo if I knew how. I did post one on Pelican Parts forum.
toast54  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O-rings in AOS replaced, injectors cleaned and redone with new hats, o-rings, new intake gaskets(Sweating the very back SHCS, acted like it stripped initially)
The OIL had the appearance of a soft drink..very thin and frothy. That would account for flow up through the AOS cap, maybe. Replaced with 20w-50 and a new Mahle filter. I am now getting about 4.5 bar rather than 1.5. I noticed that somehow, I had bent the potentiometer wipers in the AFM, so that took some dexterity to get them to make contact. The DME fuel pump relay ground wire had worked it's way loose, again. After all that, it has started and is idling and accelerating smoothly. I think I may have some loose connections in the DME, however. It died once and one of the injectors was firing until I lightly tapped the bottom of the DME and it quit, Started right back up, however. I have several things I need to "button up".. I noticed this evening it starts right up, runs a clean exhaust for a few minutes, then stumbles and dies. One of the injectors continues to fire UNTIL I rap the bottom of the DME sharply, then it quits. It will start back up, and just as a test, I rapped it again and it stumbled and tried to die, but didn't. Sounds like I should be looking at the solder joints in the DME, doesn't it?
toast54  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not finding anything obvious in the DME and I'm not going to mess with the FQS-I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a back-up unit anyway so I'll button everything back up and check all my grounds too boot
toast54  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It starts and runs smoothly now. The exhaust is clear for the first few minutes, but the more it revs, the more smoke (more of a mist, really)
appears and it does have a bit of a fuel smell, but not strong. If I hold my hand to the exhaust, it appears as grayish deposits in the vapor droplets. I did rebuild the injectors and the caps in the kit appeared somewhat larger than the original, in length anyway, but not much. They did snap onto the injectors tips. My next step is to pull the fuel rail and get some bottles, then watch how they spray..or dribble, perhaps. Maybe they leak
toast54  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Injectors stream fine, no leaks ,no dribbles. Everything seems to come back to to the ECU, so I am getting a known good one from another forum member. The car starts and runs, but it is running very rich and it may die after 5 minutes or 20 minutes. Sometime when it does do, one or more of the injectors continues to fire and the fuel pump switches off and on a few times. Once I knuckle rap on the ECU, they both quit, but by that time the intake manifold is flooded with fuel and it's hard to start. I've tested the temp sensor and it's good. Hopefully I can get this sorted with the ECU next week. If this doesn't solve the problem, not real sure where I'll go...but I won't be going in the car
toast54  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacing the ECU seems to have done the trick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: