Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Awaiting exchange....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnyenglish  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Awaiting exchange.... Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say hi! I have manages to swap a ford capri project that i was not having time to complete for a 1988 project 924 S. I am waiting for the exchange to go through, however i am already very much excited. The car is red (I believe Gards red) but cant be sure. It needs a little tlc as it hasn't been on the road since 2011. I know that it has lacquer peel and is also missing the rear seats, and all the carpet. I also no the engine has been replaced so it doesn't have the original that came with the car but it is an original engine m44/09. Other than that i know very little about it. but hopefully all will become clear soon!

here is some pics:

All the best,

Jonny
vintageant  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that RHDs have battery on the left.

Good luck!
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car man, I like the seats and wheels..
peterld  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seemingly a very nice car.........AND pared down to Clubsport level. Nice find!
jonnyenglish  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! what do you mean by pared down to clubsport level? Well excited about getting my hands on it! collecting it on Sunday! my plans to get it back to standard... replace carpet and seats, put leccy windows back in, then treat her to a respray
peterld  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although there was never an actual Clubsport model in the run-of-mill 924 range, in Porsche parlance a Clubsport model had delete rear seats/heavy sound padding/carpets/etc.
It kind of began with 356 Speedsters, then 911R, 911 RS Lightweight, moving onto 968 ClubSport, and these days the 911 GT3 RS. Almost every model of Porsche has had some form of Clubsport in it's range (including 928!!). The common theme has always been to lighten the car and sharpen it's reflexes.
There was a Clubsport available in the 924 GTS......a mere handful....now worth hundreds of thousands.
In them there early days, felt was often used to cover the sheet metal, with very thin/lightweight carpets on the floor......if any.
jonnyenglish  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i now have the Porsche 924 S!!! collected and got it home..... it has quite a few issues but nothing that appears to be major, mostly electrical. It is currently being stored in a barn on my mum and dads..... naturally this did not stop me from taking the old girl for a drive round the farm... she seems pretty sturdy and agile, pulls like a train, steering is heavy but doesn't feel heavy enough to have no power steering almost like its just not quite working, the brakes are... well horrendous lol they do stop you but not in any hurry, they are also making an horrendous grinding noise, there are a lot of electrics that are not working or dodgy... the electric mirrors don't work, the headlights sometimes come up, sometimes they don't and other times they just go up and down over and over lol probably a relay?? the odometer doesn't work, the dash is cracked massively, the paint work is poor, the window seals (metal strips around the windows) paint is flaking, the sunroof is there but appears to be missing catches as it was just resting in place (has been in a garage so not moldy or anything). A nice surprise was the wheels, they have just has a refurb, powder coat and 4 new tyres so they look absolutely mint. looking at the available space i may well not bother putting the rear seats back in. My plan was to put it in for an mot and see how it goes but it will definitely fail on brakes, no horn, some lights not working etc. so gonna fix what i can and chuck it in later in the year. gearbox seems ok but may need some oil but she goes in all gears, engine seems fine and there,s no smoke coming out the exhaust. all in all needs a bit of tlc, electrics will be the hardest part i think because there is just so much not working.

If any one has any wiring diagrams that would be awesome, with regards to the electrics are they hard to work on on these cars? I have done electrical work on a classic mini but i assume these are a lot more complicated. I'm really surprised at the amount of electrics on it, wasn't expecting that from an 80's motor.

My parts order list currently stands at, brakes (disks and pads all round was going to use sebro drilled and groved on the front and sebro on the rear with pagid vented pads??), oil and filter change, new spark plugs (bosch?), fuel filter, coolant flush and an air filter or i may be tempted by this if anyone has any reviews or anything just love the induction noise http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-944-924S-2-5-2-7-Carbon-Dynamic-Air-Box-Cotton-Filter-Kit-CDA-/381901570432?hash=item58eb1b8180:g:7P8AAOSw9GhYY6nm I also understand that k and n panel filters aren't worth it in these? is that correct? if they are then a i may get one of those

Anyway I cannot wait to get cracking on it, although i busy for the next few weekends. Apologies for grammar i'm not very good at English

thanks for your help and advice!!

Jonny
Eric P  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new S! Hopefully I'll have mine up and running in the near future as well.

A few things:
-Do you know how long it's been since the timing belt was done? If the last belt job is unknown, most people on here would recommend replacing the belt and rollers as a first step.

-As far as plugs, I usually go with NGK spark plugs. It's purely a preference, but a lot of people swear by them. I have had bad experiences with a couple other brands. I don't have any experience with bosch plugs - good or bad.

-For electronics, start by cleaning all ground connections and the fuse holders. That'll probably sort out the majority of your problems. Corrosion on electronics is the bane of these cars. Clean, coat in dielectric grease, reassemble, repeat.

-The Haynes manual for the 944 should be very similar for the wiring diagrams. For the cost of a used Haynes manual on eBay, I highly recommend you buy one.

-With the headlight relay removed, you can manually raise and lower the headlight. Remove the relay, remove the rubber boot on top of the motor, and turn the knob to raise or lower the headlights. Obviously they wont go up and down, but it will at least let you drive it until you get that issue sorted.

Sounds like a fun project!
jonnyenglish  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for that information! i will try cleaning all the grounds sometime soon! tis gutting im busy for the next couple of weekend

cam belt is stamped in the book as April last year so hoping its OK for now
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: