Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Carpet fabric type in a 924

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Carpet fabric type in a 924 Reply with quote

Does anyone know what type of material was used for the stock carpets on a 1981 Porsche 924. Mine is a chocolate color. Is the material Nylon, Polyester, or what? I am thinking of dying and I need the type to make sure I use the right setting agent... i.e.- salt or vinegar.
Thanks,
Ted
jacobroufa  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be curious about this as well. I've been going back and forth in my mind -- should I dye the original carpet or get new carpet? If I dye it, will it still be soft and plush? If I get new carpet, what is the one which is period correct and well made like the original?
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Fiber used in Porsche carpeting. Reply with quote

Thanks for your response. Since I have not yet had a response beyond yours I went searching on Google for some tests to identify carpet fiber. If you google "how to test for nylon carpet" you will find a whole bunch of tests. I have not read them all yet but this link below is one for a burn test and gives a good range of identifiers. I think there are also some chemical tests that can be used. Again, read the articles and pick your poison...LOL. Actually, be careful when doing these as some chemicals etc may be hazardous.

http://www.essind.com/Carpet/CC-ManualFiber%20ID-P.htm
I too have been pondering the replace or re-dye. I did re-dye (RIT with bonding aide added) all the brown carpet and it turned out nice except that when it gets wet it will get on clothing and or wash out. Since this would be a problem I am back to square one. I have read a lot on the subject and tried several things. RIT will not work on all fibers so testing is the next step. I currently running two tests. One, I mixed the RIT with vinegar (for nylon) and it might have left a tinge of color but nowhere near the desired coloration. Tonight I tries two more methods. The first was to use a steamer and steam the carpet before applying the dye mix and the second was to apply the dye mix and then steam it afterwards. The steamer can be anything used to steam carpets, clothes, etc.

When I finish and if I get some good results I will be happy to describe it all in detail. There is a "first thing" you can do to get them clean. Remove the carpets and take the whole thing down to the carwash and power wash them and rinse and let drip dry. Then brush with a stiff brush and vacuum up the residue, dirt etc that is sitting on top of the fiber.

Anyway, I thought you might find this interesting so I wanted to share my experience thus far. I you want to send me a PM with your email I can respond directly.
Ted
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: 1981 Porsche 924 carpet fiber Reply with quote

I found out today that the fiber is Nylon cut pile velour. Therefore the nylon dyeing methods should work.

I did have success today in dyeing my old carpet by using steam to enhance the process and get the dye mix to penetrate. I will post the whole porcedure soon. Just need to iron out a few more details.
Ted
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: