Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

My new keeper. 'Olive'
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: My new keeper. 'Olive' Reply with quote

So as most of you know by now I went down south and picked up a new-to-me 1979 Euro 931 from a 'Board member. He originally bought it in Deutschland while serving there and brought it back home in 1986 when he returned to the 'States.

The car's turbo blew out in 1988 and was stored until it was mechanically rebuilt and had the full paint and body done in 2004. Since then it has mostly sat in a garage in Mississippi since and not really run much. Actual mileage on the car is 88K 'ish total since new.

I found this auto on the 'net one night in July/2015 while on a drunken parts search, I do that alot. I emailed to see if it was still available but got no response until November of that same year. After some back and forth communications I decided to buy it. However, some personal issues here at home cropped up and I (very) reluctantly had to call the owner and cancel the purchase. It killed me. Knowing the work and love that had been shown it by searching all of the owners posts on this 'Board just grated on me and stuck in my mind, it would not let me go.

After a year went by I decided I just could not let the opportunity pass and called the owner again to see if he still had the car, he did. Done. I sent the deposit money the next day and made the necessary plans to fly down, buy the car and then drive her home.

On June 7th we flew from Vancouver,BC to Jackson, MS, rented a car and drove to Vicksburg to meet the gentleman and see the car in person. It exceeded my expectations. The paint and body look new and the interior is fresh with new carpet. The car smokes a bit on start up but clears quickly after. Not a single drip from underneath the motor or anywhere else. Car started and drove fine, no problems. I was a bit concerned about the wiring however because of the high humidity of the area. (Also the wipers had a mind of their own and would randomly come on for a single swipe.)

My friend and I went off to New Orleans for a few days then came back to grab the 931.

This address caught my eye while walking down Bourbon Street and seemed so serendipitous to the trip :

We only drove from Vicksburg to Monroe, LA the first day because of a late departure from Ole Miss. Spent a very sketchy night there in Monroe, kinda wished I had my pistol sketchy. Those Duck Dynasty boys are full of shit man. Next day we planned to book it to Denver but just as we were coming into Wichita Falls, TX the passenger rear tire blew on the highway. No probs, install collapsible spare and carry on to Walmart where they had a new set of rubber. Unfortunately after about 100 yards (!!) of driving the spare just disintegrated leaving us stranded. Called a tow truck and got to Walmart just in time to get the new tires on and grab a new battery. Too late to keep travelling so we stayed in Wichita Falls that night.

Up the next day and into Colorado. The car is driving fine but seems very down on power. I'm just feathering the fuel when she starts to buck just coming into Colorado Springs. Make it into a parking lot and shut her down. I figured it's a fuel issue so dig out my relay jumper. She starts up and we nurse it another 45 miles into Denver. Called around and found a new fuel pump in Denver so decided to get a hotel and install it the next day. But...in traffic on the way to the hotel the brake pedal goes right to the floor. Shit. Oh well, what are you going to do right ?? Got it to the hotel and had a think about what to do. The fuel pump is an easy fix but the brake line is not. And with the electrical system showing it's age I decided the best thing would be to rent a truck and tow her the rest of the way home.

The next day I rented a Uhaul with a dolly and hooked her up. The rest of the way home was a breeze in air conditioned comfort. Made it back to Vancouver on Friday after what I calculate is about 5,000 kms of highway under my belt, almost half of which was in my new 38 year old car, Olive.

When the car was running with a cold (properly working) fuel pump the thing MOVED much quicker than a normal US delivered 931, you can really tell the difference between the 2 models. It gives me a HUGE incentive to get her back in tip-top condition over the summer so I can have some big fun in our cool fall weather.

Olive at home in Vancouver at my house :

I am so unbelievably happy I spent the time and money to get her, there is just a massive involuntary smile on my ugly mug every time I look out the window and see that pretty face !

Many, many thanks to the former 'Board member that sold her to me entrusting her to my care for the foreseeable future.

Yours,
Leigh
1996 Ford E-350 ex-FedEx Van
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kinderwagon)
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140

Last edited by Kenodog on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
924-76  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulation! Sounds like you found the one for you.
Please post more picture when you a chance.
Cheers
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude! She is a looker. Congrats. Can't wait to see more pics

As our man Magnus Walker says...stay BOOSTED my friend.

Cheers

Current:
1981 924 SCCA/ChampCar Weissach Race Car ("Serenity")
1987 924S ChampCar Endurance Car ("Der Weg")
1980 924 Euro ("Wahala")
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful car, and glad you made it home safely! Congratulations on the purchase!!!
peterld  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa Kenodog.
Is this the same guy who has been on a one-man mission to rid North America of sub-standard 931s........and youré not going to part this?
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations for a very good decision and great effort to get that car.

Happy you made it home but wish it did it on its own wheels...truth still stands that US kept cars go bad much more often than European ones.

More pics please, and close the damn bonnet when you take pics, will you?
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterld wrote:
Whoa Kenodog.
Is this the same guy who has been on a one-man mission to rid North America of sub-standard 931s........and youré not going to part this?

Oh, haha. Not a snowball's chance in hell homey. She is going to be my pride and joy for a long, long time to come. Got a new Bosch fuel pump already and will swap the non-cracked dashboard from my other car into her. Once I get my 7 & 8 Fuchs re-finished those will go on. Also a new set of Bilsteins all around and a whack load of other little NOS bits 'n bobs.

Yes Morghen, promise I will take pics with the hood closed...lol.

Me
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
pcelenta  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful! All the best with her!

Paul
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved the red car into the back yesterday so I could start stripping her down to get the brake lines. I had a good 2 hour inspection under Olive and I can see about 80% of the brake lines are in an iffy state. Thankfully the entire line set of the red car are fantastic and will be a direct swap. Got all of the line connections shot with Kroil to loosen them up. Next up is to swap the fuel system...

A shot of the girls together :

Me
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update :

Spent Saturday stripping the stuff I needed to strip to get the brake lines off Olive. Pulled the starter loom and clutch slave and all ancillary bits. Turns out the starter loom was well past it's due date so I whipped up a new one. I figure 2 hours labour + $65 to make it. Instead of the shite wrap they added from the factory I used some fire proof silicone sleeve.

The old :

The new :

I changed the alternator feed from the usual loop back through the starter to a direct line to the + on the battery. Every wire and connector is brand new. Crimped, soldered then shielded. Should sort some of the charging issues...

Next up : the main brake lines. This is a picture of the original line from the master to the 'T' :

After changing this line for a good one and both front caliper hard lines I filled the res and looked for leaks...shit, found out the other main hard line is also corroded to the point of dribbles. Buy beer, drink beer, sleep.

Sunday.

It looked to me like the other main hard line I needed to change ran from the master right to the flex line on the driver's rear. However, 6 hours into the job of stripping the red car's trans axle, torsion bar carrier and torque tube I realised it switches under the TT and in fact is the second half of the 'T' junction line. Sweet candy. I got the excellent condition line from the red donor car out as well as the line for the passenger's side rear. Now all I have to do is drop the G31 from Olive and install new said lines and bleed the system. Job well done.

While I was at it I transferred some small bits from the red racer to Olive ; j-pipe with flex bit, new clutch slave and slave line, passenger rear brake hard line, rear SS braided flex lines, new trailing arms, re-built brake calipers, new dust shields etc. Things are looking up.
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
joh123  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking amazing, finally you find the right choice.
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent all weekend under one car or other and got every single brake line replaced on Olive. Changed out the clutch hard line, flex line and slave as well. While I had the torque tube out I also replaced the foam damper under the shifter area with a new one I had lying around. The G31 is back as well so I will just need to get some new CV's and then I can button the drivetrain up.

Next : the electrical gremilins and a complete new set of vacuum lines for the engine. Realistically, after that she should be in pretty worthy shape and ready to roll !

Leigh
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, still waiting for that picture with the bonnet closed
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. Got 4 new LoBro cv joints from a pal at VW. Old ones are off and new will be going on tomorrow. Drained cooling system so I can fill it with deionized water and some rad soda. Something has a blockage because she won't hold temp even with both fans running. While the rad is out I will swap the fans as well with some almost new ones I have. Got two new rear rotors today and will also install those tomorrow after I put the half shafts back in. And that does it for the rear. Ordered 2 new fuel lines from Porsche. The main hard lines that run underneath and up over the torsion carrier into the rear. These have been not so good on most of the car I have stripped just due to the location and lack of protection from spray and debris. They will sit on the 'Soon-to-be-NOS' shelf until I need them.

Next up is re-doing the vacuum lines and installing an air/water separator. The car never came with one originally and the oil just soaks the air filter, not good. The head does not have a breather line mod either, that will need to be done when I build the new motor for it down the road.

Was going to post a pic of the car with the hood closed but then realised that Photobucket got around to F****king me too so no pics. Sorry Morghen.
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dropped the 951 early offset Fuchs at the wheel re-finisher. They will be the same colour as Olive, Platinum Metallic, in the centers and polished lips. She's going to be pretty...

Lee
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: