Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

2nd gear engaging problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
81VIN452  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to everyone, I just left the parking lot this afternoon, driven for 1/2 mile, stopped at the gas station, refueled, started, no noise, no errors, 2nd gear won't engage. It looks like it had never existed, the notch removed. I had to drive 20 miles, crossing the town, jumping from 1st to 3rd and viceversa. Has anyone heard of,or experienced a similar problem? I'm terrorized about the cost to tear down the tranny, and really hope is a minor common inconvenience for a well kept 931 with manual trasmission and 90,000 km. I will really appreciate everyone's help.
Thanks, Ignazio.
Pat  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with first in my 80 924 turbo, after I took apart the gearbox I found that the 1st gear dogteeth were completely worn away and the synchro ring had expanded and woudn't allow the shifter to move into the gate. I hope it isnt your problem but I cant think of anything else that would account for the problem ( the transmission was a snailshell, or 16/Z or G-31 whater you want to call it).
clhughart  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at the shifter. We had this happen but it was first and second in our case. The shifting rod that comes from the transmission up to the shifter has a round hole just below the shifter. The shifter has a "bolt" or steel rod that goes through this rod. As you move the shifter front to back and from side to side, it "bolt" is supposed to twist the shifting rod. In our case, the "bolt" had become worn so that it wouldn't twist the shifting rod. The fix was simple; I just took out the shifter, welded some material on the "bolt" to restore it back to the original shape. To see if this is your problem, take off the rubber boot, and move the linkage to see how it works. Then take something you can wedge inside the hole of the shifter to take up any slack and see if it will shift into second. I hope this is your only problem.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at this point it is probably your syncro your easiest option at this point is to probably just get another tranny although being in italy that is probably going to be hard eh #### it just do it yourself
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: