Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

What would it take to make my car a mid 13 second car
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
87-924S  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to make this car a sleeper and use it to beat up on the hondas and 5.0 mustangs. Does anyone have any web sites that offer performance products for the 924S
924RACR  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you really need is a little money spent in the right places...

Of course, you might have to redefine your definition of "a little"...

Why? Why not use the car as it was designed, to take corners at speed? Why stoop to their level? They can't handle for jack, you know.

Still, if you really must, check out Huntley Racing. http://www.huntleyracing.com Derrek knows the cars.

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
jcope  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another discussion on this topic.

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?topic=3804&forum=1&7&offset=-359

And the one that preceded it...

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?topic=3785&forum=12&2&offset=-359

[ This Message was edited by: jcope on 2002-09-11 03:38 ]
MAS  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beat up on the Hondas? What Hondas are you racing if you need a 13 second car to beat them?

Yes, I know that some modded Hondas are very fast, but I rarely see those. Most are just show... and most run QMs in the 16s.

As for 5.0 Mustangs, it may surprise you, but if your car is like mine, it can slowly pull on a (stock) Mustang in 3rd from about 50 mph up... although it'll get whomped off the line.

-MAS

[ This Message was edited by: MAS on 2002-09-11 10:44 ]
87-924S  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that most Hondas are 15-16 second cars, as for 5.0s it seems to me that almost every one I see is modded, but from experience I know a mid 13 second would beat or give them a good run
Lizard  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guys I don't know how you race but I have a 924 NA with a couple of mods and I spank 5.0L I get 1-3 car lengths on them right off the line then theystay with me until I hit 3rd then I pull away from them. As for hondas I have raced them and they can keep up, if they keep tapping the NOS button I spank them off the line hen from aways back you hear a bsssssssssshhhhhhhhh and then almost touch your tail and they have to keep tapping the button for me not to loose them
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The late '80s Mustang GT ran ~15.0 1/4 miles, and the early '90s LX 5.0 version dipped into the high 14s. By the mid '90s they were in the low 15s again, but now with the 4.6l engine. The newer model 4.6l cars have 260hp, and run low 14s.

In order to run high 13's you'd have to strip about 625 pounds out of your car, or add about 50 horsepower, or some combination of the two. Sounds expensive.

If Lizard's car (924 n/a) makes 160hp, it would have to weigh somewhat less (100-250 lbs) than stock to match the acceleration of a late '80s (15 second) Mustang GT.

<edit: Of course, there are other factors as well, such as driver skill and how much weight each car is carrying in payload, etc.>

[ This Message was edited by: 924 turbo on 2002-09-12 09:32 ]
87-924S  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizard you want to let me on to what mods you have.
AFBCamaro  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racr924 stoop down to their lever? im offended. Damn I guess my car cant handle then.

When i bought this car i to imidiatly felt like taking the engine apart and upping the power output. (now mind you i do this alot). I found one little thing, for the price its not worth it. after its all said and done someone that takes a brand new "moms" car out of the showroom floor will smoke you. It wont feel good after you spent all of that into the engine.

I however drove the 924 last night around. and having the top off, being wrapped in leather, jazz music playing softly in the background. and taking a 90 degree corner at 40 and having the whole car drift sideways made me realize what this car is about.

Man am about to cry again!!!!
wdb  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFBCamaro , how does your camaro compare to the 924 in handling .
924RACR  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In stock form, not modified!!!

Not that a solid rear axle could ever really compete with a proper IRS like the 24 anyway, on anything more complicated than an oval. I know the F-bodies can be improved vastly over stock configuration, my crew chief has a relatively new TA he's been working over.

'82 931 Plat. Silver
AFBCamaro  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

924racr I would love to give you a response but that would be unfair. The porsche did not feel as sharp as the camaro. The porsche seemed to sort of dive when exposed to latteral Gs it seemed to have great maners at the limit.Its more like a confidence in that she will slide correctly as it should.

The camaro will upon making a loaded turn respond quickly and stay flat, but there is no confidence in that. maybe because of the speed required to make the tires start to howl.
But then again the camaro has subframe connectors, relocated lower control arms w/ poly. bigger front,rear anti sway bars, with poly. stiffer springs, and variable shock absorbers, and a solid link panhard bar. Highly unfair considering the porsche is riding on 20 year old probably worn suspension.

oh my god, it took me 4 years to save for the suspension in the camaro. oh god im sick.

AFBCamaro  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah the porsche compares to camaro when it was stock. but i got the factory f41 suspension which was a hell of an improvement over stock. but again the porsche is 20 years old. i want to redo the suspension system completely and make it turn like no ones bidnes. it seems that it has a hell of a lot of potencial. Hey 924rcr what do you suggest. I do not care about ride quality at all. I want to turn and give my self wiplash.

wdb  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reason I ask is that ToddG5150 posted and ad that compared the 924S with a camaro and RX7 http://home.kc.rr.com/thetodd/pages/specs_jpg.htm , and I was suprised to see the camaro and the rx7 both out performed the 924s on the skid pad . I realize thats more traction then suspention . I guess what I'm looking to know is , In top form (upgraded suspention ) how would the 924 compare to the modern day sports cars . not haven driven any other than my 924 I have nothing to compare with
924RACR  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In top form, the 924 is without question competitive. It's all tires and CG height anyway, everything else is transients and feel, like how much money do you want to spend on shocks??? $1000 ea Penskes?

Anywho. There is one defining difference with the 924/944 series, and this is the distinction. A 924/944 at the limit is much more easy to drive and confidence-inspiring. You can pound around the track all day long in a 924/944 and be relaxed about it - it's not hard work. The cars are so superior that it's very easy to drive them fast - they make any driver look good. My girlfriend took my racecar on laps at the track and drove it sideways, never spun! The comparison cars are nowhere near as stable at speed/at the limit. They get real nervous and twitchy. That's the fundamental difference.

Otherwise it's how much money do you want to spend on tires, shocks, springs, motor, etc.

AFB - there's many things you can do to your car, suspension-wise, to tweak it. Check out Paragon (www.paragon-products.com) for some ideas. Basic need would be springs and torsion bars, but that's in the extreme. It's also very hard and PITA to change the torsion bars. Better to spend some money on some good shocks and swaybars, like the M030 bars (rear bar is adjustable) instead, obviously with some good tires. You can upgrade the bushings too, pretty cheaply, and get some pretty crisp turn-in. A full spherical bearing conversion is even available for $300 for the front a-arms, $1300 for the whole chassis. How much money do you have?

The yellow adjustable sport Konis are fine for the street; Bilsteins are also very nice but not adjustable. Coilovers can also be added to the rear of the car more easily than changing torsion bars, but they will raise your ride height, and you'll have to adjust to compensate, potentially requiring removal and reindexing of the torsion bars anyway. Swaybars are much easier by far, and I do recommend just that for the street.

'82 931 Plat. Silver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: