Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Rear Compartment light switch location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject: Rear Compartment light switch location Reply with quote

The rear compartment light is supposed to be partially controlled by a switch that turns the light on when the rear deck lid is opened. Does anyone know where that switch is located on a 1981 Porsche 924?
Eric P  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The switch is part of the right hand hatch strut. When the strut extends, the contact touches the strut piston and completes the circuit.
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Rear compartment light Reply with quote

Eric thanks for the reply. I looked at my car tonight after getting your reply. The car has a rear window heater/defroster. As far as I can tell there is only a contact to that heater plug on the strut (both). I have not tried the rear window heater yet but I cannot see how the light and right strut interact. I wonder if the 81 is different than yours. I am still scratching my head. I can't find anything in the Porsche manual on about the switch. It is shown in the wiring diagram but it shows an actual switch. Time to trace some wires.
Ted
Eric P  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no switch for the defroster. The defroster is the wire at the top left of the hatch when you have the hatch open. The only differences between years is the 3rd brake light on later cars and rear wiper option.

That one wire from the car to the strut is the wire for the light switch. When the strut opens, the contact touches the strut piston and completes the ground. Your strut should look like this:

Take note of the little boot that goes over the piston at the middle of the strut. That's the plastic piece that opens the circuit and shuts the light off when you close the hatch.
ted von Kampen  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Luggage compartment light switch Reply with quote

Eric, Thanks for the info. I checked mine and the right side lift support did not have the cup on the bottom. When I got new lift supports I got two lefts so there was no cup/switch. When I ground the single wire going to the strut the light comes on so that is the problem. I am ordering one for the right side so it should work when that comes. Thanks for your help. Ted
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: