Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Parts Cross References/Interchangeability Anyone?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickF  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Parts Cross References/Interchangeability Anyone? Reply with quote

I've read enough forums to know that somewhere someone has a part from another brand, vehicle or model that fits and functions, (maybe with minor modifications), on our vehicles. For example, I've read that some VW door handles will work on our Porsche's. The same can be said for our ignition modules, relays, etc. Has anyone in this forum put together such a list or perchance knows where one exists with a link? I'm sure everyone would agree that a list like this would be beneficial to the entire group and help possibly reduce the cost of keeping our passion on the road. Any thoughts or input?
Harm  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Cross References/Interchangeability Anyone? Reply with quote

RickF wrote:
For example, I've read that some VW door handles will work on our Porsche's.

Myth… Show us where you read it and unmyth that.

FYI there used to be an up to date list in the Links section…
Kind regards,
Harm.

ps. Best Cross Reference Parts List I've come across was in French (decade ago)
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a starting point.
http://www.924.org/parts/parts.htm
RickF  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harm... In response to your myth statement, attached are from the Rennlist Forum:

To: ElFishBoy@aol.com
Subject: Re: Door Handle Woes

The door handles are the same ones that they use on VW Golfs and I think rabbits. You could probably find one used pretty cheap. I also saw them (for VWs) in JC whitney for $19.95 new.

Also

Subject: Audi Door handles work on 944's

You can use the door handes from the late model: Audi 100/200 models. I think 1988 and up will fit fine with no mods. The Audi handles are about half the cost (about $60 from Audi) of the Porsche ones and come with those plastic linkages that always wear down and fall to the innards of the door. DavidJalai@aol.com

And:

Subject: Door Handles

Found out that the '87 Audi door handles are the same at a fraction of the price. I bought mine from Shokan Audi @ 1.800.255.2834 I paid around $70 shipping and all if I remember correctly. Garry
edredas  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked up the door handles used on those Audi models and while they look similar they would not work. I don't even see how they could be modified to work. It would appear that they saw a picture and just assumed they were the same part. So, please use caution with any information found on rennlist.

That said, I have three 924S stripped completely down at the moment and there really isn't much that is interchangeable between other makes/models. This is why two of them are parts cars...

Things that are interchangeable off the top of my head is some of the motronic items like the reference sensors and coil. Perhaps a few other sensors and the oil sender, but that's about it. Maybe someone can think of some other parts...

Here are some cheap BMW reference sensors that work in our cars (Thanks, Rasta)

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=pg4x1h45srdzdz45ue14oonq&partnumber=12141710668

As mentioned, DME should work out of any other motronic car but will require modification. However, if you are looking for reliability then you can have them repaired with a warranty.

http://www.ecudoctors.com/

I've also heard that Vanagon turn signal stalks work in our cars but the stalk isn't the same shape. I've been meaning to get one and see if it's a big deal...

http://www.partsgeek.com/tyn56py-volkswagen-vanagon-turn-signal-switch.html?utm_source=shoppingcom&utm_medium=pf&utm_content=wc&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+ShoppingCom&fp=pp&utm_term=Volkswagen+Turn+Signal+Switch

I hope that helps!
'87 924S -Red, 300hp 951 swap
'87 924S -Red, Project Car
'88 924S -Red, Daily Driver
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: