Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Which smartphone holder works best in the 924?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johann  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Which smartphone holder works best in the 924? Reply with quote

I like to use my smartphone as a navigation and speed camera warning device. In my 964 and Subaru I use a grip called the Kenu Airframe that sits on top of my air vents.

This however does not work/fit in the 931

I don't like suction cups on the windscreen, so I was wondering if you guys want to share your wisdom on how to mount a smartphone in a useable way without screws or glue in a 924.
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No screws or glue, hmmm. Duct tape. Or you could throw the smart phone out the window and focus on heel-toe, rev matching and giving your undivided attention to the road.
87 924S gone
84 944 sold
83 944 sold
89 turbo S LSD, ABS etc
86 951 white rocket
85 944 sport everything.
84 944 sold.
87 944 sold
Johann  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Joe, I wasn't really looking for driving advice, was I?.

I drive my cars pretty hard especially when we go on our alpine roadtrips, but there is a slight challenge...speed checks with life altering fines.

I don't know what it is like where you live, but here on my bit of the planet there are some very heavy penalties for speeding and I prefer to avoid them as much as possible. Luckily there are very good apps available that can warn me when I am approacing mobile and fixed camera's, it can even warm me when there are police controls in the area. This allows me to focus on the road and instead constantly checking the sidewalk and overhead beams for camera's and camouflaged police officers with laser guns.

Due to the cornering G's I prefer to have my phone fixed in place. the Added advantage of a fixed phone is that I can also pay it forward when I see a dangerous situation on the road.

My car is not a beater and looks factory fresh. So I am looking for a solution to fit my phone in a fixed position that is elegant and doesn't do damage to my car.
joecitizennn  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. I just hate smart phones. Its nothing personal. 20 years ago nobody had them, now people think they cant live without them. Everybody now walks around looking down at their hands like their necks are broken. I got rearended by someone on their phone last September, grrrrrr.
87 924S gone
84 944 sold
83 944 sold
89 turbo S LSD, ABS etc
86 951 white rocket
85 944 sport everything.
84 944 sold.
87 944 sold
Chaos  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a peek at this one, Johann:

https://gslink.us/SYFU1o7C

Over the past bunch of years, I've used several different phone mounts and this is the only one I've come back to and actually liked using repeatedly.

Admittedly, I've yet to use it in my 931, but hopefully that'll be changing very soon (waiting on a new WUR any day now).

Anyway, it uses a slightly tacky suction cup with a tension-assisted clamp to attach to the dash. No residue, no glues, just have to make sure the surface is dry and dirt/dust-free. Over the past 3 or so years, I've only had this thing fall off the dash maybe a total of 5 times, and only on the very hottest of days.

All-in-all, though, it's lasted me a long while and gets switched between different cars fairly regularly, and it's rarely given me any trouble whatsoever.

Hope this helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: