Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Hello from New Guy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philly924S  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Hello from New Guy Reply with quote

Hello

My name is Alan. I am new to this board, but not new to Porsche’s. I now own a 88 924 S

Car History Bought from board member (Grenadiers). Drove the car all summer and had a blast. I knew from Paul that the car needed some TLC (AKA deferred maintenance). To me that sounds like a hobby. I’m retired and enjoy wrenching on my car.

Car had: rollers, belts, water pump, new starter, brake master and slave cylinders before I got it.

My first project is replacing the 30 year old, vacuum hoses with silicone. I want to replace the hoses under the Intake Manifold so... off it comes (injectors will be sent to Witchhunter). While reading about and planning this project I was struck with how many hoses, valves, controllers are dedicated to venting the AOS and pulling oily air into the intake. When I took the J boot off I found the inside had some oily residue (fortunately no milkshake), and dried oil on the intake damper. I am seriously considering removing all the hoses, vacuum lines starting at the AOS, thru the J Boot (caping the J boot port), removing the Shut Off Valve and Control Valve, and associated hoses.

When thinking of this project I find it’s better to think of what I propose to retain:

The vacuum lines connecting the Fuel Pressure Regulator and the Fuel Pressure Damper terminating in a Y. The common path connects directly to the Throttle Housing.

Vacuum Lines connecting the Idle Control Valve to the J Boot and the bottom of the Intake Manifold. And the hose that attaches to brake booster and the reserve vacuum reservoir. THATS IT

Am I right that all the rest sucks oily air into the Intake?

I propose to vent the top of the AOS to a Catch Can, although I can’t imagine that, without vacuum, the oil soaked air will travel far. It’s more likely that the oil soaked air will stay in the AOS until it collects on the sides and drains into the sump, but we shall see.

Does anyone see a problem here? It would be great to clean up the engine bay. And, while I am not doing this expecting any significant performance improvement, eliminating oil in the combustion chamber allows more volume of air, and that enhances combustion.

Thanks for your opinion,
Let the fun begin, Regards,
Alan
edredas  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan! Welcome aboard!

I'm guessing that this was the 924S SE that Grenadiers had for sale?

Replacing the vacuum lines sounds like a great project! As you mentioned, there aren't that many when you break it down.

Just a note; a lot of guys that delete their control valves and charcoal canisters just put a breather/filter on the tank line. The problem with that is you will have a constant fuel smell emanating from your car. Even on my turbo 924S that I built from the ground up I couldn't bring myself to delete it... it gives me headaches.

As far as the AOS is concerned... I like the idea of the catch can. That said, if you live in a colder climate and drive during the winter you run the risk of freezing the throttle body without it. Modern cars run coolant through their throttle bodies instead of using this warm air, so it is something to consider.

Also, my 1988 model doesn't have any oil in the intake or on the throttle body itself. However, if yours does, then there is most likely an issue somewhere. The '88 models have an electronic valve that should open when the throttle is closed to prevent oil build up. My car doesn't use a drop of oil between changes, and I credit it somewhat to this improved AOS design. What tiny bit of oil that does get into the engine won't hinder performance since oil lowers octane a few points. So if you're buying 93 octane like me, then on a hot day on a hard drive you might lower the octane down to 92.7... still well above the 91 octane required!

I hope that helps!
'87 924S -Red, 300hp 951 swap
'87 924S -Red, Project Car
'88 924S -Red, Daily Driver
Philly924S  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edredas

Thanks, yes I bought Grenadiers car. Paul told me that it was a well running, solid, rust free daily driver and that's exactly what it is.

I am interested in the concept of the throttle body freezing in winter. I know the snorkel ducts ambient air and in winter it can be below freezing. I assumed the engine will produce enough heat to prevent the throttle from freezing. I realize that at speed, cold air is entering via the front valance and thru the snorkel....humm.

I do plan to bypass the charcoal canister. My plan is to duct the gas fumes directly into the air box. I plan to cut a hole in the box mount a 90' elbow with a flange, and seal the flange with silicone. This will duct the fumes directly into the intake. The air box is vented into the wheelwell via the intake snorkel therefore I am not concerned that will produce a dangerous condition.

Thanks for your input,
Alan
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindsey has a cool catch can solution. It's a little spendy, but it sure is pretty.

Not sure why you would delete evap system. Not to sound too hippy dippy, but pollution from gas vapors vastly exceeds tailpipe emissions for HC and is very harmful to the environment. The 2.5 solution is well engineered, simple and robust.
Philly924S  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rasta sound advice.
Paul  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan, you are the 4th member of this board to own your car. I sold it to Grenadiers. Your car is one of 500 SEs that were imported to the US.

Keeping the car stock will maximize its future value.
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
Keeping the car stock will maximize its future value.

Phht, don't listen to that. That thing screams "drift car!"
Philly924S  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummmm, drift car. Perhaps I should rethink my plan to build a nitro methane burning dragster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: