Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Qualities of the 924

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2000 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: aminolabs@yahoo.com
Date: 21 Feb 2000
Time: 13:21:54

I have just recently discovered the 924 Garage while searching for parts. This a great resource. I own a 1979 model. I also have a 1962 356B with electric sunroof. And, have owned a 1967 912 Targa with zip-out back window. My father owned a 1963 356B as I was growing up.

I find it interesting to read about folks wanting to improve the perfomance of an early 924. The '79 model that I drive daily was purchased used with 110K miles. I have since put another 75K miles on it. I love this car.

For the folks that want better performance out of their stock 924's, it is important to note the design criteria for the 924. It was created in response to the fuel crisis of the '70's. It is really an Autobahn economy car. I drove from the San Jose Airport to Hollywood & Vine, Los Angeles in 4.5 hours with a 15 minute refreshment break in broad daylight. The car averaged 90 mph the entire distance at 24.5 mpg. I do not and have never owned a vehicle that could do this.

If you want quicker acceleration, higher fuel usage and lower top speed, then lower the gear ratio. The easiest way to do this is smaller outside diameter tires.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2000 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: apple_bit@mac.com
Date: 22 Feb 2000
Time: 11:50:17

I have found the 924 to be an excellent economy car, yes. But if you want to make it go fast, you must put some good money into it and realize that in order to make this car fast, you must sacrifice fuel economy. In order to do this, the most important things to do is have the head ported & pollished and a nice cam put in the car. It helps to add headers- but adding webers and some of these rediculous things are what I do not believe in. The Porsche 924 with the 2.0 liter and the CIS ingection can handle even twice the amount of horsepower that it puts out. My dyno test proves that with the improvements I have made to the car already (100+ hp and 100+ lbs/tq at the wheel) from a stock car that at the flywheel that put out 110 hp is not bad improvements. People must realize that trying to achive peak hp is not the way to win races, but to have a good strong powerband in all the revs that will be used most of the time. I recommend the first grind web cam for those beginners with 8.5:1 compression. I will be adding a stroker and/or compression to my next engine. I autocross this car, and so within the rules, I could actually put in a 944 turbo engine and still stay in the same class. Now for those who really want their 924 to scream with ease and still be a good daily driver, that is the way to go. It is one of the more difficult and expensive ways, but in the end it is worth the cost over the Audi 5000 series engines and the horsepower that it the 944 turbo puts out stock (217 hp for most) is more than the Audi 5000 turbo (160 hp). On computer simulations that I run, with the Porsche 944 Turbo (stock) in the Porsche 924 the car excellerates up to 60 in less than 5 seconds! It is also easy to get the 944 turbo engine up to 300/350 hp depending on what you want it for and what you want to sacrifice. Some people have even gotten 400 ponies out of those engines. It would be too difficult to do that with the Porsche 924 engine. The only reason to keep the 924 engine in is the cost is cheaper plus some of us/you/me might take pride in just the 924 engine and it's era. I think the 924 is a great car that is at a excellent price and too many people don't give the car the credit it should have. It handles excellent, is reliable, and fun to drive. For the price range it is in it is hard to find something that handles as well. I am happy that even my stock 924 will outrun the Mazda RX7's and when properly taken care of will outlast cars of its same generation (well, it's unfair... I am compairing German technology to Jap/American technology) Hope you and everyone enjoys their Porsche(s) as much as I enjoy mine! I have decided that I am going to let someone else enjoy one of my Porsche's now. I already have one and this other one I fixed and just want to let someone else have fun with it. Just stock, they are a great car for the price!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: