Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

New to this forum - Series 1 hatch question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beamishnz  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: New to this forum - Series 1 hatch question Reply with quote

Hi I'm new to this forum, and enjoying it! ... long time 944 fan that has a sudden itch to get an early 924. Suddenly started to appreciate how beautiful they are, especially the '77/78 euro spec cars with no spoiler, no fuel cap cover and chrome trim.

I have found a '78 car that needs quite a lot of love. It appears to have one of the later rear hatches with a spoiler. My question is whether if I remove the spoiler I will have the stock series 1 trim or whether I will need to find a series 1 hatch (or series 1 trim). Also was wondering if the original cars had polished trim to the rear hatch as in the metallic green car below. My vision is to recreate something like the light metallic blue one from an early brochure shot.

This is the rear of the car I'm looking at:

This is an image I've seen with polished rear trim (which I like but am unsure if original)

and this is the vision I have for the future

... and just for interest, and way of introduction, this is my current project

Spliffy  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty sure that on the very early cars the trim was polished to match the rear quater light trim. Its been a while since i had the spoiler off, but I dont remember the 'early' trim being there, and of course the spoiler bolts on so there will be holes in the frame. I have got a hatch in storage with the spoiler off so can check but will be a couple of days.
Audi T/B
Flush fit screen
beamishnz  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spliffy wrote:
pretty sure that on the very early cars the trim was polished to match the rear quater light trim. Its been a while since i had the spoiler off, but I dont remember the 'early' trim being there, and of course the spoiler bolts on so there will be holes in the frame. I have got a hatch in storage with the spoiler off so can check but will be a couple of days.

Thanks for the reply. I'm be interested to see how the spoiler attaches. Had a look at the PET and can't really work out if the spoiler clamps on or is drilled through the trim.

Looking at the museum car and early brochures it looks as if the quarter lights are polished and the hatch trim is black but that may be the reflection/light.

Also interested to know if the early cars without rear wiper motors had an undrilled glass or was it drilled with a blank plug.

POORscheMAN  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the car didn't come with a wiper there will not be a hole in the glass.
At least my 1980 car doesn't have one.
260# springs -26mm rear TBars- Bilstein shocks
poly bushings -Weltmeister big sway bars

1980 924 N/A -- stock
1982 931
1994 968 M030
Spliffy  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I managed to get to the store today and take a look at the screen. Basically the area under the spoiler does not have any trim, the top of the frame does have trim , just a frame. So you you would need to find suitable trim to go round the whole spoiler section of the hatch. The frame is drilled to take the spoiler which if I remember correctly has studs which pass through the frame and are secured with special nuts. Hope this helps.
Audi T/B
Flush fit screen
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont think about drilling the glass or anything..it can only end un one way. Not good.
The spoilerless and wiperless hatches are quite rare actually.
I managed to find one and i think they look so cool. I may install it on my 931.
beamishnz  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spliffy wrote:
Ok so I managed to get to the store today and take a look at the screen. Basically the area under the spoiler does not have any trim, the top of the frame does have trim , just a frame. So you you would need to find suitable trim to go round the whole spoiler section of the hatch. The frame is drilled to take the spoiler which if I remember correctly has studs which pass through the frame and are secured with special nuts. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. That helps. Sadly the one I'm looking at seems to have too many pieces missing from the equation ... including wrong colour, wrong interior, a rebuilt top end that the guy can't get running smoothly ... hesitates badly under load. I think I 'll jest wait for a more original one to come along.

A very nice original silver one sold locally recently. Should have bought it!

But sold to a great guy who will become a P Club member so all good

beamishnz  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Dont think about drilling the glass or anything..it can only end un one way. Not good.
The spoilerless and wiperless hatches are quite rare actually.
I managed to find one and i think they look so cool. I may install it on my 931.

I agree. For me they are a real signature of the early series cars. Very clean. The one you found, did it have a black or polished trim?
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trim is polished but it appears to have a now pealing black coating on top. Not sure if it was coated black over by the factory, it would make little sense or if somebody painted it black during ownership.
beamishnz  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Trim is polished but it appears to have a now pealing black coating on top. Not sure if it was coated black over by the factory, it would make little sense or if somebody painted it black during ownership.

Looking at all the original '76 - '78 pics I can find it does look like the handles and quarter windows were polished but that the rear trim was originally black. From what you are saying it sounds as if in some cases the black peeled which probably explains why some now have polished rear trim. In my opinion it adds to the retro feel
sheepdog924  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hatch trim is originally black.
Afraid you can't remove the spoiler, you need a genuine non spoiler hatch
beamishnz  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheepdog924 wrote:
The hatch trim is originally black.
Afraid you can't remove the spoiler, you need a genuine non spoiler hatch

So there is now way of replacing with the non spoiler trim
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not realistically.
The ones with spoiler are a bit different and the trim under is different.
beamishnz  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Not realistically.
The ones with spoiler are a bit different and the trim under is different.

Thanks for that. Now I know what to look out for.
KDJones2000  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '78 we had as our original race car had a black trim on the hatch.

The door handles were chrome, but I don't remember what the side windows had.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: