Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

test drive disaster
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvandyke  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: test drive disaster Reply with quote

I thought I'd start a new thread on this. I'm also posting a lot on Pelican and Rennlist so sorry if you hang out there too and get repeats.

Okay, so a couple weeks ago, on a test drive, we lost an injector seal (I think) and had a fire, by the time I put it out we had lost a ton of engine parts. This is my son's (15) first car. This is a major setback as he's not so rich and neither is dad. So I ordered a TON of used bits from Mark at Plyhammer but I think we need more. If you have spares and can part with them for cheap I'd appreciate it. So far I know I need:

Looking at brake booster yesterday. I'm worried about the fitting that's in the booster as it's not listed as a separate part, I need the "rubber seal" and "check valve" as they were both destroyed, maybe I need a whole new booster can?
I'm looking at illustration 604-00 in the PET, items 14/15.
I'm not above cobbling something together either.

Last edited by jvandyke on Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:46 am; edited 2 times in total
hdrider19  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, I have an early 944 parts car. The booster should be perfect for your car. Do you need the master cylinder too or just the booster? My wife mailed the parts to you this morning. I replaced my throw out bearing with new one so I sent you the spring washer,shim washer,notch washer and snap ring from my old bearing.
jvandyke  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of roller coaster, despair and hope, back and forth.:p
i'm having the clutch disc relined, doing needle bearings on the shift fork

Need heater control valve,

need this gas tank vacuum vent thingy mcbob

it qot really crispy up there, seems the tank vent line really burns well, being filled with gas vapor..

power steering res cap took a hit, got a spare?

Needle bearings from clutch fork were loose in their races, did something rust out of there? how does that happen? Luckily not too pricey and available at Pelican

What the heck got inside there and chewed up those fly wheel bolts, yikes!

Last edited by jvandyke on Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
jvandyke  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdrider19 wrote:
Jay, I have an early 944 parts car. The booster should be perfect for your car. Do you need the master cylinder too or just the booster? My wife mailed the parts to you this morning. I replaced my throw out bearing with new one so I sent you the spring washer,shim washer,notch washer and snap ring from my old bearing.

Thanks a bunch, I'm 90% sure the bearing itself is fine, it spins smoothly (What kind of Harley do you ride? {HD rider?)I've got a bratted out '72 CB500....I digress)
I don't know if I need the whole booster, or just a fitting from it. I don't know if the master survived, I suspect it did, the hoses all burned off the but the metal is okay, I doubt it got hot enough to cook the seals inside, but we'll find out eventually.
I know I need the rubber hose bit from the clutch master to the hard line on the way to the slave. Those can be bought new (of course, if someone has a decent used one I'll take it).
I'll need to get or make a cable from the alternator to the starter.

Last edited by jvandyke on Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
hdrider19  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I read that the rubber center on your clutch disc was shot?
jvandyke  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdrider19 wrote:
I thought I read that the rubber center on your clutch disc was shot?

No the rubber center on the clutch disc looks great, in fact the disc has enough meat (barely) to pass spec and go back in but barely, I measured about 3/32" of meat above the rivets but I'm going for a reline anyway.
Pressure plate seems fine to my highly trained (not!) eye.
hdrider19  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my chopper. I built it in 99/2000. It's needing some love now tho. Also have my dads 96 heritage softail Harley. I have almost every part you have listed on my parts car. Make a list and pm me. Or if you want we can talk on the phone. I will make you a good deal on what I have. Paul

Last edited by hdrider19 on Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
jvandyke  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, thanks Paul, I'm hoping to spend the next couple days hammering out what I need yet. I don't know these cars really well, only having been working on it for a month or so, it all burned up so it's hard to know what I'm missing and where it all used to go. I can't see your bike but here's mine;
oh, yes, it's parked next to the 924s so it's relevant.....sorta

hdrider19  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. Sorry. User error with my photo site.
hdrider19  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see the thread in general about the 92forty gathering in Woodstock Illinois. Might be a good morale booster for you and your son. My wife and I will be there. It would be nice to meet another 924S owner. BTW I do have an extra set of flywheel bolt if you want to replace the damaged set you have.
jvandyke  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the spring washer, many thanks.
Waiting on Plyhammer for round two of parts.
We're out of town next week but I'm hoping to have gathered most everything I can think of we'll try to be back where we were by August 26, there's a huge cruise thing by us and I'd love to run the 924 through it.
jvandyke  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: rounded the corner Reply with quote

Have finally started reassembly.
Very slow going, mostly inexperience and learning how NOT to do things before finding the correct method.
Engine is back in, refreshed clutch disc (new lining), release bearing had lost it's spring washer, it had broken up, don't know why, bearing itself seemed fine,
needle bearings on clutch fork were toast, replaced, flywheel and PP surfaces looked good, scuffed 'em up a tad, cleaned and reinstalled. Pilot bearing seemed fine.
Now if it were my car I would have thrown more new parts in there but my poor son's budget is destroyed, I've been bank rolling about 80% of this (don't tell his momma!)
Worst case scenario, we go back in down the road.
New motor mounts, adding back in the right side heat shield that was missing, that mount had collapsed significantly.
New clutch hard line/hose
new vacuum hoses and new harness all the way around.
Currently bolted up power steering pump and AC compressor last night, I need to redo the wire to the compressor, it got toasted.
Then it's just a slew of reassembly, hopefully picking up speed now that the tricky part (engine refitting) is done.
Many thanks to the VERY helpful people here. We could not have gotten this far without you, not even close. Hopefully there's joy at the end with a sweet little 924s in the hands of happy 16 year old (with a fully loaded fire extinguisher at his side!)
jvandyke  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: it lives!! Reply with quote

It fired up and ran (for a few seconds), a ways to go but man did that feel good
jvandyke  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: almost back Reply with quote

Need fuel jumper line to arrive (currently running straight to the rail).
We figured out it's actually an earlier engine (from an '84 944) which explains quite a bit of weird things.
Fires right up and runs. Lots of lifter noise but I guess that's normal for an engine that has sat a while. Haven't run beyond 10 seconds since the oil pressure gauge was pegged and I assumed I had reversed the leads on it. Swapped 'em around, more testing tonight.
Need to bleed the coolant system and verify temp gauge is working. It was acting odd before the fire too.
Might try to drive it if things are going well.

Paul  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! Is that signal green paint?
Polar Silver 02 996TT. "Turbo"
Owned and repaired 924s since 1977
Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: