Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

931 Top Speed...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SprintStar  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: 931 Top Speed... Reply with quote

Hello All,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm curious... I think the gearing on my galfriend's 931 may be odd... In 5th at 2000 rpm, we cruise at 55mph. Going by that, given redline is 6500, ok, let's say 6000rpm, top speed is 165mph?! It's linear, right?

What's your gearing like? In 4th, 55mph is 3000rpm. 1000rpm from 4th to 5th seems a lot to me...

Wish my 911S had such speed... *drool*

Sprint.
porschetroy  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linear, yes. But, there is not enough power to reach redline in 5th gear either due to wind drag or just not breathing enough air. My '82 931 will reach 135 after a while; it reaches 120 pretty quickly. I try not to drive over 110 very often! -Troy
Lizard  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

top speed 143mph for a 1980 931
SprintStar  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porschetroy wrote:
Linear, yes. But, there is not enough power to reach redline in 5th gear either due to wind drag or just not breathing enough air. My '82 931 will reach 135 after a while; it reaches 120 pretty quickly. I try not to drive over 110 very often! -Troy

135 is very decent! We haven't tried top speed coz the tires are old and they wobble, but hey we hit 110mph once!
SprintStar  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:
top speed 143mph for a 1980 931

Is that your personal best or what the book says. I think my gal's 931 is a pretty strong animal. But pity we won't get to see top speed in a 931 body coz we're changing to a 944 shell... Those slim fenders must be worth at least another 5mph worth of top speed! I love those Turbos!

Sprint.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sprint start that is what the book says, when I had a 931 I had it up to around 135 as well but ran out of road
SprintStar  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:
sprint start that is what the book says, when I had a 931 I had it up to around 135 as well but ran out of road

Ho ho... So it took a long time to get to 135?

I think the 5th gear is too tall or did Porsche meant it for a lot more power? Hmmm...
Lizard  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually no it was a short road
SprintStar  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:

Then go find a long one!!!! I had my 924 up to 137 on a long road before... Took damn long, but we got there!
CMXXXI  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've topped out before at over 225KPH (indicated) on the Autobahn years ago - converted, that's 138MPH+. With the DOT mandated MPH speedometer, I show 70 MPH at 3000 RPM, give or take a few. Once at 200KPH it takes a while to wind things on out. FWIW I'm running a first year Euro spec motor and 5 speed.

Since getting things running again last spring, I've only "chanced" a couple of short 100MPH runs on the Interstate, but it sounds and feels like the power is still there.
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMXXXI wrote:
I've topped out before at over 225KPH (indicated) on the Autobahn years ago - converted, that's 138MPH+. With the DOT mandated MPH speedometer, I show 70 MPH at 3000 RPM, give or take a few. Once at 200KPH it takes a while to wind things on out. FWIW I'm running a first year Euro spec motor and 5 speed.

Since getting things running again last spring, I've only "chanced" a couple of short 100MPH runs on the Interstate, but it sounds and feels like the power is still there.

you should drivea 928 it takes what feels like seconds to reach this speed, once you hit around 245kmph it starts to slow down but still pulls, I am not going to say what I have had it up to
SprintStar  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMXXXI wrote:

Wow... You drove your 931 on the Autobahn and brought it back to the US? Is your a tourist delivery car?

Sprint.
SprintStar  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizard wrote:
CMXXXI wrote:

you should drivea 928 it takes what feels like seconds to reach this speed, once you hit around 245kmph it starts to slow down but still pulls, I am not going to say what I have had it up to

Wow.. wow.. wow... I've never been in a 928. I'd give up a week in my 911 or 931 for a day in one!

Sprint.
john h  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SprintStar wrote:
Lizard wrote:

Then go find a long one!!!! I had my 924 up to 137 on a long road before... Took damn long, but we got there!

I've redlined (6300rpm and about 145+) my GT in 5th gear didn't take too long to get there but then I was on my way to a race meeting and was running 1.2 bar boost (so I had over 210hp).

That little black dot in the distance very quickly becomes a car even though it is travelling travelling at 60mph. I've only ever wound it out to this speed once on the road - the rest of the times I've hit the rev limiter in 5th I've been on the track - much safer - at least everyone knows you're going quick

if you take it to pieces slowly it can provide anguish all year long!
Neil924  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ate a steering wheel once. It was scary how long it took to slow down and any movements in the steering were magnified 8 fold due to the speed and heavy braking. When that black dot becomes "that" car with its family inside and a driver, who freaks out because you are about to ram them at speed, turns the wheel and in his/her effort to get out of danger, actually makes the car "wider" to get around, the "knowing" you are an asshole, for pushing a car past its limits and of course your own, hits you like a car going a buck 50 in a 50 zone was an idea fit for reality television. Some people should just sit down and watch "Will & Grace", relax with their family or friends and just chill. No need to get a ticket or have someone see you and have to duck and dive onto sidestreets to get away in case they have a cell. Besides it chews up your treads and wears engines and trannys along with the brakes and suspension. I have read "A Painted House" from John Grisham. Street racing was the last thing on my mind.
BTW I don't listen to music any more while driving, it just made things worse. You know when that nickelback song comes on or maybe that AC/DC tune you liked when you were younger makes you "see" how much speed you can carry on the off ramp or how fast you can get to that next overpass. "It aint worth die'n over Fidan, it just aint". - Gallager
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: