Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

81 NA Dash Removal and Interior Resto Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XLR8  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: 81 NA Dash Removal and Interior Resto Advice Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am about to embark on the removal and replacement of the dash.

I have a number of jobs to do whilst it is out, but ask:

1. What preventative maintenance should I do whilst I am in there?
2. I have heard of updating the centre vents with 944 items - is this a good idea.
3. I have to refit the relay and fuse boxes - is there an alternate location I should consider putting them in - in the glove box?
4. I plan to remove any AC legacy stuff in there, as my car has had the compressor removed by a PO. Anything I need to know?

I think that's it. Any advice appreciated! Thanks in advance.
snakoil  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vents
If they are not broken I don't see why you need to change them
I highly suggest to remove the soft padding that dried out 2 decades agos
I would also suggest to paint them over in a fresh coast of flat black as they will look grey-ish against your reupholstered dash

Relay & Fuse box
take the time to clean the grounds also. they are all behind the fuse box
you simply quickly clean them off with light sandpaper, This will save you hours later

AC
I also removed it all, there is a lot more involved than i tought
releasing the CFC in the pipe is illegal and smelling it directly is not healthy
The part inside is fast to remove, the stuff in the engine bay is a bit harder
Verify that youy heater core is not leaking

Other
If you can, now is the time to fill the center speaker hole
Painting the dash is half the price and effort but 90% as good as vinyl - you decide what you want
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to the fuse box and heater core suggestions.

In fact, on the heater core, because it is such a pain to deal with, I would suggest having it pressure tested and repaired if necessary by a local radiator shop, as these units are NLA. Be exceedingly careful with the heater hoses, as these are also NLA, but it gives you a good chance to assess their condition.

It's likely that your heater controls are covered in grime, usually the disintegrating foam insulation. You will do wonders for the operation of the blower fan by thoroughly cleaning the contacts, traces, and exposed terminals (where the orange and brown wires connect). A combination of high pressure air, alcohol, and electronics contact cleaner is quite effective.

Remove the heater box (can only be done with dash out) and test the operation of the fan by connecting it directly to +12V. You can separate the halves of the heater plenum and remove the fan, which will allow you to do some basic cleaning of the contacts, armature, and terminals.

Thoroughly clean up all of the ground crowns, and thoroughly inspect the fuse blocks for corrosion. Clean everything you can get to with files, sandpaper, or emory boards, and any exposed contacts will benefit from a subsequent application of dielectric grease.

Personally, I would not bother with relocating the fuse blocks, but I would strongly consider installing a separate auxiliary fuse block wired directly to the battery via a standard 2-pole relay and 50A inline fuse. This could be conveniently mounted on the back side of the kick panel. On the 941, I actually hinged the kick panel to allow for easy access. I have an aux fuse block on the Club Sport that uses modern spade terminals, and it is fantastic. I plan to do this mod on several of my other cars now that I have the connections sorted out.

With the dash out, this is a perfect opportunity to upgrade all of your cockpit lighting, either by installing higher wattage conventional bulbs, or LED equivalents. There are several posts on the forum about the latter, so some research would be in order, but there is no better time to tackle that job.
XLR8  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great advice. Thanks for your time!

As the AC compressor is already gone, I am thinking the gas has already been vented?

I have a newly recovered crack free dash to replace the horrible one that is in the car now, so I'll be keeping the centre speaker grill. I won't bother with a speaker in there. It's a pity that it's not a bit wider. The alternative of putting a couple of gauges in there doesn't quite look right to my eyes.

Ideola, I am a bit confused about the second aux fuse box. Are you suggesting that I replace the second fuse box with a modern spade type?
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XLR8 wrote:
Ideola, I am a bit confused about the second aux fuse box. Are you suggesting that I replace the second fuse box with a modern spade type?

No, this would be an aux fuse block to run any add-on modern components you might be considering, like additional gauges, a modern radio/head unit, an amplifier, a powered sub, etc.

As for two gauges in the center console, you might want to reconsider. Here are three of my cars with different approaches to execution:
941, using a modified center speaker grill, which I had wrapped in vinyl by Classic 9 Leathershop to match the refinished vinyl dash they did for me. I'm also using some aftermarket angled binnacles to orient the gauges toward the driver, which is functionally very nice:

937, again, using a modified speaker grill, this one leather wrapped, with home-made angled binnacles. Mod performed by the previous owner, so I've left it as is:

Club Sport, using a custom ABS piece developed jointly by myself and forum member 76-924 (Claude Pellerin). These are molded in ABS plastic, which is a very close match to the center gauge binnacles below. Mine is wrapped in Alcantara to match the refinished Alcantara dash, also done by Classic 9 Leathershop:

We did two versions, one where the gauges are flat to match the "plane" of the gauges in the existing center console, and one where the gauges are angled as you see in the Club Sport. What I like about Claude's piece is that the binnacles are recessed, so it gives a much more "finished" and IMHO "factory" look. The position of the gauges is really nice, I love having my boost gauge over there as opposed to on the A-pillar as in the 941.

I have a handful of the original run of these center speaker grill replacement binnacles left, maybe 1 or 2 of the angled version, and maybe 3 or 4 of the flat version. Anyone interested, PM me for details.
XLR8  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideola (it's Dan isn't it?),

Wow, the interior of the 941 (What's that? A 2.5l turbo 931?) is fantastic. You are getting me enthused!

My car has a (relatively) complete interior, but really needs a LOT of wiring tidied up. That's the co-goal of pulling the dash out.

I will heed your advice regarding the additional fuse box, and may look to replacing the current aux fusebox with something more modern (hence the Qs regarding relocation). My goal with this car is a reliable fun driver - super sharp handling, but retaining the NA for now.

I don't have the time (or patience) to manage a rebuild, EFI or forced induction. I'd rather not have the car off the road for too long - I enjoy driving it so much.

That said, the only alternative I could consider to my 924 is a a 944S2 or Turbo, and they are very rare here in Oz. Being a Porsche, they are considered a premium car here, and depreciation does not hit them like it does in the US or UK. A good S2 is in the mid late teens, and a Turbo in the early mid 20s.

So, the potential AUD5k or so to EFI and turbo a NA represents great bang for buck, as 924s are cheap to buy in Oz in the first place. It's just one could never expect to get the money back - but that's not why we're here is it?

I can only imagine what a modern turbocharger producing 200hp in a 924 would be like? Quite comparable to the 240hp with heavier weight and lag of a 944 turbo. Possibly superior?
XLR8  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XLR8 wrote:
Wow, the interior of the 941 (What's that? A 2.5l turbo 931?) is fantastic. You are getting me enthused!

Ideola wrote:
car is not exactly a 931, and not exactly a 944. It started life as a 1980 (Series I) 931 with the snailshell gearbox. Somewhere along the way one or more of the previous owners changed the powerplant to a mostly Series II setup (but not completely, as it doesn't have the SII DITC).

Nice rig.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: