Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

differences between NA and Turbo shortblocks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
If it's got an engine  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: differences between NA and Turbo shortblocks Reply with quote

Are there any differences between Turbo and NA shortblocks? Are they interchangeable, if there are differences?

I have a 1984 924 with what I think is a broken rod, though I haven't disassembled it yet. I've found a 924 turbo engine cheap. Could I mix and match parts and make a good NA engine from the two? if there's lower compression on the Turbo, is it from deeper dished pistons, or a different combustion chamber, or a combination of the two?

Thanks in advance!
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a combination of lower compression pistons a dished head. No go for you unless you are running boost of some kind.

1978-#53 "D" track racer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
If it's got an engine  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea what compression I'd end up with if I used the NA head on the turbo shortblock? Will it even fit?

Thanks again.
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the NA pistons are okay, you can swap them onto the turbo rods/crank/block combo. But get the block honed by a good machine shop and install new rings and bearings. Bolt on the NA head, oil filter piece, pan, flyheel/clutch pack and ancillary front of the engine pieces and you are golden.
BOL
Chuck
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Chuck and Porschev stated...in terms of the short block only, the difference is limited to the pistons. So you can take any set of NA pistons, bolt 'em up to the rods and the rest of a 931 short block, and you should be good to go.

S1 931s had a CR of 7.5:1, S2 had CR of 8.0:1, Euro-spec had CR of 8.5:1. So combining with an NA head is not going to result in anything pleasant to drive.
!tom  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought a N/A head and turbo pistons had a very high CR, too high to be practical.
Joes924Racer  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oppsosite Tom, lower cp. with the NA head.\ cause its flat no dish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PORSCHEV  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am mixed up now I know for certain the turbo head is dished so if you compare the NA head to the Turbo you take a big jump in compression with the NA because there is relief with the dish of the turbo.

But Tom! might be right. IIRC I was looking at a set of turbo pistons with the NA head. If I can recall I didn't go that route because it would become an interference engine and I didn't want that!

Someone set it straight. Please............

1978-#53 "D" track racer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
peterld  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The N/A head is flat - the combustion chamber is effectively in the piston.
The Turbo head has a slight combustion chamber, as well as using dished pistons to achieve an overall combustion chamber.
Thus, forgetting for the moment about valve interference, if you put a turbo head on an N/A block the compression would be lower than with the N/A head.
Both blocks are identical in all ways - same forged rods and crank - just the pistons are different, and several small drillings in sump, etc. Very early N/A cranks ran different width bearing sizes.
Now to compound matters, the Euro/ROW N/A had different pistons to the US version - these were somewhat 'lumpy' with valve cutouts to still make the motor non-interference.
If it's got an engine  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I think you've answered my question enough that I'm not going to buy the turbo engine.

However, I wonder. . .
I read somewhere (here, I think) that the turbo head flows better than the NA head. I wonder what compression ratio you'd end up with if you used Euro pistons (which I think I have in my '84) with a Turbo head. You'd give up some CR with the turbo head, but might make up for it with better breathing.

Hmmmm.
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's got an engine wrote:
turbo head flows better than the NA head

Largely a myth.
!tom  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I think you've answered my question enough that I'm not going to buy the turbo engine.

The answer is that you'd just need new pistons, as otherwise they're identical. If all you have is a broken rod, and your piston is salvagable, then just swap pistons in the short block, and transplant your head and you have a N/A engine (along with some bracketry changes on the outside).

However, I wonder. . .
I read somewhere (here, I think) that the turbo head flows better than the NA head. I wonder what compression ratio you'd end up with if you used Euro pistons (which I think I have in my '84) with a Turbo head. You'd give up some CR with the turbo head, but might make up for it with better breathing.

You do apparently get marginally better flow with the turbo head, but you'd be better off with the turbo pistons with the turbo head, as the N/A pistons and the turbo head would be a pathetically low CR. Like Ideola says though, I don't believe it's a big difference. The drop in CR will be much more significant than the increase in flow, I'd expect.

The final CR would be pretty low with the highest turbo pistons (8.5:1 according to Ideola above), and the lowest CR turbo pistons will have a higher CR with the turbo head than the highest NA pistons with the turbo head.

In short, if you want to run a turbo head in a N/A configuration, you're probably going to want custom pistons, as all available pistons will give a CR on the low side of practical for N/A operation. And, N/A pistons will give a lower CR than turbo pistons with a turbo head.

Turbo pistons with a N/A head however. . . I wonder what CR that would give?
unheardofinstruments  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found an affordable turbo block ostensibly with low k’s and have rebuilt a head to na specs and then not needed it because I found another recently rebuilt head to use on my na 81 model restoration. However I have an sc14 supercharger and some extra bits already so could do a boosted engine with the mysterious lower cr number the combination of turbo pistons and na head will produce so maybe one day we can get the measurement. Having read several threads on supercharging an na I don’t recall anyone using a thicker head gasket on an na engine under boost but maybe the boost levels were conservative enough, I would think somebody did maybe on a turbo conversion with big boost.
I did buy the thickest copper head gasket cosmetic made when the plan was to use the na engine. The boost that requires to make it run would probably would also require a racing clutch and break stuff though.
If there is a compression reading is there a rule of thumb for how much boost makes up for how much lower compression?
I am guessing the turbo model would be the first guidepost and slightly higher compression than that means the same boost makes more power but needs a little more retarding of the timing on the dyno later? Yes efi conversion is on the cards if I were to boost an engine and an intercooler would also help.
I have a larger throttle body, injectors, dodge neon fuel rail, oil cooler, microsquirt, blow off valve, O2 wideband sensor and bung and adjustable fuel pressure regulator so it seems like it should happen to a cheap bare block and an old stripped martini shell I have lying in the grass...
safe  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to worry about lowering the compression if you have EFI and an intercooler. Just boost it.
Porsche 931 -79
Porsche 911 -77, 3.2 Targa
Porsche 911 -69, 3.6, Coupe
Beartooth  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with safe: you don't need to lower compression much if at all to boost an NA engine. Of course, I'm thinking reasonable boost levels (say 10 PSI / .7 bar). I don't know what compression using a NA head on top of turbo pistons would net, but I'm certain it would be much lower than you'd ever want. It would run terrible until you got some boost into it, to the point you'd probably hate it even if it did allow you to make more power, and could possibly make it more likely to detonate. The design of the combustion chamber (that includes the piston and head) on most turbo motors of this era is centered around minimizing the possibility of knock and detonation, and making wholesale changes to that (even when significantly lowering compression) can have unpredictable results. Back in the 70s, when US automakers had to lower compression for emissions reasons, the large, open-chamber heads they used would sometimes knock and detonate more easily with the same piston because of the "quench" effect of smaller chambers.

Modern engines have a lot of ability to save themselves from bad gas and such, so they can push safety margins. Without that protection, manufacturers had to design the engine to survive a few bad days at least. I'm fairly certain the 931 didn't need such low compression under optimum circumstances (especially the S1 at 7.5:1) - they would have held up fine and made significantly more power with another full point of compression if good, high-octane gas was guaranteed. The bean counters aren't going to approve it unless you can at least put a tank of cheap gas in it, drive it like you stole it, and not have it blow up though. That means that for the likes of us, there's more power available running good gas and an optimum state of tune, especially with updated fuel injection and modern ignition with knock protection (that's not an absolute "need" though: you can do more with a bone stock motor too if you're careful and know what you're doing). Going back to the question of combining a NA head and turbo pistons, I wouldn't say never, but I'd say the compression would be impractically low. You'd have to find the NA head volume (I found one post saying 22cc on the turbo head, FWIW) and turbo piston volume; worst case, if you have the head and bottom end at hand, you could measure it yourself pretty easily. I'd guess the combination of NA head and turbo piston would fall in the 6-6.5:1 - that's lawn mower territory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: