Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

We're in, first post '87 Introduction
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvandyke  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: We're in, first post '87 Introduction Reply with quote

Just dragged this home tonight.
Couldn't resist. A project with my 15 year old son.
We're in Michigan and NEVER see cars of this vintage with NO RUST. I was just stunned that the body was solid. ODO says 16,000 miles which I guess is possible. Interior is partially removed and pretty tatty.
PO dragged it up from North Carolina but then decided to get out.
He chose the green which is actually not too bad. but hood and doors need respray.
Supposedly ran last year, not now. We put a battery in it quick a minute and it won't turn over.
He said something about mis-adjustment on the slave cylinder preventing it from starting which doesn't make sense to me but what do I know.
Anyway, adventure begins.
Hoping to get it running and driving decent and rebuild the interior.

I drive an '81 X1/9 daily, we have also have a '90 Miata.
Have had '70 Opel GT, '63 MG Midget

jason c  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: We're in, first post '87 Introduction Reply with quote

jvandyke wrote:
Just dragged this home tonight.
Couldn't resist. A project with my 15 year old son.
We're in Michigan and NEVER see cars of this vintage with NO RUST. I was just stunned that the body was solid. ODO says 16,000 miles which I guess is possible. Interior is partially removed and pretty tatty.
PO dragged it up from North Carolina but then decided to get out.
He chose the green which is actually not too bad. but hood and doors need respray.
Supposedly ran last year, not now. We put a battery in it quick a minute and it won't turn over.
He said something about mis-adjustment on the slave cylinder preventing it from starting which doesn't make sense to me but what do I know.
Anyway, adventure begins.
Hoping to get it running and driving decent and rebuild the interior.

I drive an '81 X1/9 daily, we have also have a '90 Miata.
Have had '70 Opel GT, '63 MG Midget

Welcome.

The clutch system has nothing to do with it starting, it doesn't have a clutch interlock switch.

Check for power to the starter, check for power to the small wire on the starter while turning the ignition switch to the crank position. Power to both tells you the starter is bad. You can also jump the small wire to the large lug (from battery) to jump the starter. This will help diagnose the starter & ignition switch & wiring.

Check the timing belt before you start it. Its an interference engine and a broken belt is a bad (expensive) thing.
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice colour !
good luck with the project !
jvandyke  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input!
We leave on vacation today so no poking around for a while. Will take advice to heart as regards timing belt, will investigate before getting too frisky.
A better look over last night and we have interior work (as we well knew) unfortunately the PO was pretty ham fisted and we have a broken door panel by window switches (driver's side) and center console damage but all in all, good bones.

I'm hoping it's just a starter issue. Maybe it seized up sitting around though it's only been a year (reportedly). Dipstick shows correct level, nice clean oil, no evidence of milkshake. Might try a rolling bump to nudge it a bit. I still can't believe how nice the body is.

I'm almost embarrassed how cheaply we bought it. I didn't even negotiate, just handed over the cash and shook his hand.
jvandyke  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: no turn over Reply with quote

working on why it's not cranking
whats the easy way to check timing belt status?
plan is to finish building my lift then put the 924 on it and pull the starter working off the theory it's siezed. Could be any number of problems of course but that's where I want to start.
At the moment when we turn the key to start there's a little hum and a little crackling sparky noise from the top of the engine somewhere, so needless to say we're not doing that until further investigation.
I did find the connectors for the speed sensor and the other one, located right behind the engine, near the firewall were both smashed by the hamfisted PO.
Looks like he tried to disconnect without taking the wire bail out of the way and destroyed the end. Will need to address that too of course.
So, timing belt inspection seems wise.
BTW
16,000 original miles on it.
edredas  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The teeth often strip from timing belts around the crank area, and you cannot see it unless you completely remove the belt cover. If the starter isn't turning the engine there is a chance that the belt is broken and the valves are preventing the engine from turning over. So, the best thing you can do right now is remove the belt cover and get in there and have a look around. If the belt is sheared, turning the engine will only result in further damage.

I hope that helps!
'87 924S -Red, 300hp 951 swap
'87 924S -Red, Project Car
'88 924S -Red, Daily Driver
jvandyke  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does, thank you, in fact that is what I just did;
removed starter and had it tested, it passed, It seems to me a bushing at the front is worn though, could be wrong.
pulled upper belt cover and belt "appears" okay, it is intact and teeth "look" good, maybe I should verify timing although being unable to move the motor makes it hard to do that I guess.
I pulled the plugs and tried a breaker bar on the crank (gently), no movement at all.
I shot PB Blaster into the cylinders.
I'm thinking I will see if I can find the various timing marks and see where they are, under the theory that the belt slipped.
I think it just seized sitting, it's been over year since it ran, which isn't too bad to my mind but enough to offer resistance I guess.
The good news is i have it up on my new lift and the car is in amazing shape (relative to what we in Michigan are used to in old cars).
edredas  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These engines won't rust up from sitting like other engines. So, if you have the spark plugs out, it should be really easy to turn with a breaker bar. If you have only removed the top half of the cover then you will not see the missing teeth until you completely remove the belt from around the crank.
jvandyke  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pulled covers off, I don't know, the belts look good, don't see any missing or damaged teeth, tension seems okay

I should probably start a new thread.....
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=42103&start=0
jvandyke  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

i've spent more time over at rennlist and pelican but wanted to update here.
Do most people here also hang out there?
Got her unstuck and driving, tires/brakes and working on getting running well, then an engine fire happened last week, brutal, in process of pulling engine for clean up and rebuild. Big set back but lesson(s) learned.
Needed to pull engine anyway for release bearing work and replace motor mounts. Just have to replace a bunch of plastic and rubber in the engine bay now. Ouch.
edredas  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, sorry to hear about the engine fire. Just let me know if there's anything you need!

I sometimes visit pelican since I buy 95% of my parts from there. They've got a nice forum and I've seen a few familiar ID's over there.

I visited rennlist a few times while doing my turbo swap but I had to block it from my google searches because their info was total garbage. No thanks!

jvandyke  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys have stepped up to help us out. This car is for my son, he was pretty crushed. I'm determined to bring it back better than ever. It was my fault, I knew better, I stupidly left the fire extinguisher home that run and lost precious time getting another.
I got a slew of used parts coming in from Plyhammer and others have offered bits and pieces for cheap so I think we'll be okay in the end.
I'm off to work on engine drop. Quite a lot of work that, no?
Can you leave the exhaust manifold on the head and just undo the downpipes? "seems" like you can.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can come out with headers attached. 2.5 engine pull is actually pretty painless.
hdrider19  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking back thru your thread at the pics. I don't see the auto tensioner for the cam belt. It looks like you might have a 2.5 from an earlier 944. I am swapping in an 84 2.5 in my 924S right now and it caught my eye that there is no auto tensioner.
edredas  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hdrider19 wrote:
I was just looking back thru your thread at the pics. I don't see the auto tensioner for the cam belt. It looks like you might have a 2.5 from an earlier 944. I am swapping in an 84 2.5 in my 924S right now and it caught my eye that there is no auto tensioner.

Not necessarily, the 1987 924S didn't get the auto-tensioner until mid-year. Good eye, though.

If you're interested in things that changed over the model years since you're swapping in a '84 engine; check out my builders guide in the 'how-to' section. I've been meaning to add more info to it, but hopefully it will help you mix and match parts to get what you're wanting out of the engine!

I hope that helps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: