Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

77 924 Front Brake Replacement/Upgrade Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Porsche77924  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: 77 924 Front Brake Replacement/Upgrade Question Reply with quote

As a spring project I'd like to replace the front brakes on my car but am confused on which parts may fit. I am looking at rotors on RockAuto and there are normal front rotors or Sport Package rotors. I am not sure if my car has the "Sport Package" on it and I am guessing those rotors are going to be a tad bigger and not work on the normal 924. Can anyone tell me how to determine if I have the Sport Package, or tell me if the front rotors are the same size regardless.

Thanks for the help ladies and gents.

If it helps, and I'm guessing it makes a difference, I have rear drums on the vehicle.
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the added info at Rock Auto the sport package is either slotted or slotted and drilled. The standard ones are solid. From my understanding the slotted are much better under racing conditions and drilled seems to be mainly for looks ie sport package is a way to get more money out of you. For street use the standard solids are probably all that would ever be required.

I had the rear drums turned and it wasn't easy to find someone who could turn those small VW drums and put in some Porterfield street brake pads thinking they might be a little better at a much higher price. Result-a bit of improvement. I changed the rubber flex hoses but didn't get the SS wrapped ones which might be a better improvement. Others would know better than me on that.

I would put in new wheel cylinders while there and flush the entire system. Ninety percent of flushing can be done by gravity. Put a vinyl tube on the fitting and just let it drain into a bucket. Then bleed, buy a larger can of brake fluid if doing that way.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
Porsche77924  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I'll be looking into it further. I have rear drums on the car and decided rather than trying to get the old drums turned, I just purchased new drums and shoes. I'll make sure I pick up some new wheel cylinders also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: