Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Prioritizing components for performance-whats your opinion?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Prioritizing components for performance-whats your opinion? Reply with quote

Ok, so you have bought a low powered 100-200 hp 924/944 type car. In terms of performance on an autocross or twisty course... even a rally course, what do you think are the most importance components? And in what order?
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GROUP ONE:

Good tires, brakes.

Control arm bushings.

Good dampers.

Biggest junkyard sway bars you can find.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about seats?
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seen a seat add performance to a 924 yet?
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrera RSR wrote:
Not seen a seat add performance to a 924 yet?

A racing seat definitely add performance. You get much more concentrated driving and a better feel for how the car moves. Especially in autox. High priority according to me, cost so little, combine it with a deep steering wheel and the seating position is improved drastically!

Tyres are always the king when it comes to performance, if you are only after lap times buy wide and sticky tyres. Try keeping the rolling radius as small as possible, otherwise it will hurt acceleration noticeably. Then add lots of negative camber, then go for stiffer Springs/shocks. Beware though, it's important to find perfect balance or you will leave a lot of performance unused.
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tires are tricky to pick and i have learned that wide tires are not always the best, especially if you also drive the car on the road. Best is narrower track but high quality tires. I used to have trouble with my 245 tires but now its all good with sticky 225s.

The first thing to do on a 924 is change the bushings, refresh the brakes and put new tires on. Then Add the biggest sway bars you can find as Rasta said...a world of difference especially with new good quality shocks.

Seats are important as well...dont get tossed around the car while cornering. Sport seats are good i heard, i hope i'll get mine soon as the normal seats dont offer any side support.
gabo931  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Tires are tricky to pick and i have learned that wide tires are not always the best, especially if you also drive the car on the road. Best is narrower track but high quality tires. I used to have trouble with my 245 tires but now its all good with sticky 225s.

The first thing to do on a 924 is change the bushings, refresh the brakes and put new tires on. Then Add the biggest sway bars you can find as Rasta said...a world of difference especially with new good quality shocks.

Seats are important as well...dont get tossed around the car while cornering. Sport seats are good i heard, i hope i'll get mine soon as the normal seats dont offer any side support.

What springs work best?
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of weight to be saved with aftermarket seats as well.
Kenodog  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noah,

You can buy some cheap but good aftermarket seats here in Van from the local Chinese import ricer shops. $200 gets you a nice supportive seat with holes for 5 point harnesses. Like Dan says they are much lighter as well. Only drawback is you will need to build custom brackets to bolt them in.

Leigh
1996 Ford E-350 ex-FedEx Van
2014 Mazda CX-5 (Kinderwagon)
2019 KTM 790 Adventure
2024 KLX300
2024 KLX140
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my car is equally quick/slow depending on your benchmark, whether I have the Porsche seat or lighter Cobra bucket. In a priority of top 10-20 performance upgrade problems, the seat ain't one. Just saying. Didn't say it wasn't on the list
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Rasta's ideas. On my low power 77 I rebuilt steering, changed to poly bushings(Prothane or Energy Suspension-I don't remember) and got some 205/50/15 Kumho Ecsta tires. I also found a budget way to get sway bars from a 944T on the 944 control arms. Result, steering dart quick, corners wonderfully. Changes needed-real shocks/struts

The 205's are too big and slow speed steering is pretty heavy, should have used a 195. I spent more time trying to get the brakes working better than on anything else and still not real happy with them.

Rougher, noisy ride probably, but the car didn't run when I got it and I have never been another 24/44 so no method of comparison.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gabo931 wrote:
What springs work best?

Thats a whole other chapter
jason c  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 24/44/68 series cars handle pretty well out of the box. Depends on what parts are on the car & what condition they're in. Replace the parts in worse condition first.
It also depends on what your budget is.

The idea behind a good seat & harness is that they improve lap times by limiting driver movement, by that I mean keeps you from moving around which forces you to brace yourself with the wheel, bracing yourself makes your steering input less accurate & lowers lap times. Same happens to your legs. Its also a safety item, don't forget your own safety. A seat is a win win.

Tires & brakes are great upgrades but they're also consumables, you're going to need them often.

As far as suspension, the parts that keep the car flatter & the tire contact on the pavement best should be upgraded first. You'll get more movement out of worn shocks than worn bushings. Putting a big swaybar on a car with soft shocks & springs is a cheap way but not a proper way to build a racecar.
Sometimes you do whatever you have to when your on a shoestring budget (lemons & $2015 challenge).

Posing the question as "I have X amount to spend & this is what parts the car has and this is the condition...." may give you a better idea on what to do first.
Noahs944  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful responses.

----

Who make harness bars or the 924? Or are they not recommended?
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noahs944 wrote:
Beautiful responses.

----

Who make harness bars or the 924? Or are they not recommended?

Get a proper rollbar or cage.

Harness bars can be dangerous in a rollover.

And yes they can happen, even at autocross speeds.

Use stock belts with a seat belt lock to help lock your hips in the seat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: