Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 NA turbo conversion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
friggin  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: 924 NA turbo conversion Reply with quote

Hey guys, this summer I'm planning on running a turbo on my 924 NA car.

I'm curious as to how much boost the car will safely hold. I plan on stealing the turbo setup off of an Audi S2. This way I'll have the turbo and intercooler already setup for when I do an AAN swap in the future.

Thanks!
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock clutch slips at around 2-220hp, but don't fixate on specific boost numbers. Start low and work your way up to what the drivetrain can support.

If you improve the cooling system, use a better headgasket and ditch CIS for EFI and electronic boost control you can tune the engine to make more power, safely.
friggin  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not worried about the drive train holding up haha

I am just curious how much boost the factory engine will hold. I don't want to push 15 pounds at at when it can only hold 6. That's why I'm curious how much it will hold. I don't want to blow it to pieces by pushing to much boost at it.

I am doing a bike carb setup on it this spring and getting rid of the junk CIS.
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'79 US-spec NA motor has 9:1 CR, so that will limit how much boost you can run before detonation, particularly considering the NA combustion chamber and piston design (no quench area to speak of), and the shitty flowing NA head. So realistically, you probably won't be able to run much more than 6psi of boost before inducing detonation. You can offset it a little bit with intercooling, but no amount of charge cooling is going to make up for a combustion chamber, piston, and quench setup that wasn't originally designed for boost.

The two vintage bolt-on turbocharger setups that were made for these cars took slightly different approaches. The BAE setups had an early interpretation of a "conventional" wastegate that was integral to the pressure tube that bled off anything beyond 6psi of boost.

The Windblown system was really unique in that it has a "rotomaster" bleed valve that inversely bleeds off boost as RPMs increase. It came with a tiny turbocharger that produced lots of boost low in the RPM range. As the RPMs increased, the rotomaster bled off progressively more boost, so you would get high boost (~12 psi) at low RPM, and then by 5000 RPM or so would be down to about 4 psi. Not the greatest design for top-end performance, but essentially transforms the streetability of the low compression (8.5:1) early NA cars.
friggin  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I put a 6psi waste gate on the pressure tube I will be fine?

I wish I knew how to post pictures haha. Then I'd show you how I plan on running the bike carbs.[/img]
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends on your goals. What are you trying to do? Get a little more pep out of your NA? Or build a max-effort motor? I'm assuming the former...

If it were me, I would do one of two things:
1. (Easier) install a modern turbo with an integral wastegate. Small, compact, proven, effective. Set boost to 6psi
2. (Harder) figure out how to reproduce the rotomaster function with modern components.

I have two each of the BAE and Windblown setups, and I am dying to get one of each of them functioning so I can do comparisons to each other and the factory 931!
friggin  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just trying to get a little more out of the factory NA motor until I can afford to do the AAN swap. I plan on using the turbo off of the s2 so I have that done already to make the swap easier.
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not familiar with that turbo setup. If it doesn't have an integral wastegate, I would install the wastegate on the exhaust side, not the inlet side (even though the BAE did it that way).

You do realize you'll need to do some serious exhaust fabrication, yes?
friggin  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you do it on the exhaust side?

Yes I'm aware of the fabrication that would need to be done.
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short version: long term protection of the hotside. Bleed off pressure in the exhaust track based on an input line from the intake side (just like the OEM setups on the 931/951 etc.).
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 6 psi the car will be quite more fast than what it is now. Depending on fuel, your intercooler efficiency and ofcourse your fine tuning maybe you can run more boost.
One day i'll take a NA, strap a turbo on it and see what boost it can take before it lets go.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know only one who have pushed a stock engine and done it properly. Check this thread:

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=38765&sid=ae7784b963848f9d9ba2d86223de3082
JjyKs  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we're talking about the boost here.

Does anyone have an idea on how much boost the NA engine could take with E85, Water(/methanol, no idea if it actually helps with e85?) and a semilarge(well almost the largest one that fits in 924 without being outside of the car) intercooler (with intercooler sprayer if the temps seem to get too high)

Most likely gotta reinforce my clutch before actually ramping the pressure over 6psi, but doesn't hurt to actually figuring out the possibilities.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, seems like we used to have a guy on the "absolute bleeding edge of 931 tuning"....wonder why he isn't offering his two cents?
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JjyKs wrote:
Since we're talking about the boost here.

Does anyone have an idea on how much boost the NA engine could take with E85, Water(/methanol, no idea if it actually helps with e85?) and a semilarge(well almost the largest one that fits in 924 without being outside of the car) intercooler (with intercooler sprayer if the temps seem to get too high)

Most likely gotta reinforce my clutch before actually ramping the pressure over 6psi, but doesn't hurt to actually figuring out the possibilities.

check my link above
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: