Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Rear badge sticker: "924 Turbo" - style question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clintg60-16v  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Rear badge sticker: "924 Turbo" - style question Reply with quote

I've had a '80 Turbo S since November '15. It's a great car, but I plan to repaint after taking it down to bare metal.

I don't want to lose the rear badge. I've been looking for reproductions for a while, but no luck. All the ones I've come across have the closed outline for the "2", and the badge is in outline format.

Has anyone had luck sourcing the sticker below (striped w/ ghosted "2"?) I'm guessing it's '79/ early '80 only... or if this is available @ any dealer...

...and a 1980 924 Turbo S underway
morghen  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find another sticker but if you take it to bare metal you loose the rust protection it has.
clintg60-16v  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
You can find another sticker but if you take it to bare metal you loose the rust protection it has.

You raise an excellent point! I will rephrase.

I had my VW Corrado baking-soda blasted about 10 years ago, to retain the e-coat. No sandpaper or harsh abrasives were used in the effort.

My 931 is about 60% original paint. I want to get it down to a solid foundation... there is only one rust spot on the whole car (shown in pics due to a bad hatch pin). So outside of that one spot - care will be taken and I hope to retain as much factory primer as possible. It's in gorgeous shape with rust-free pinch welds, edges etc... maintaining galvanization is key. There's a dent in the q-panel and the hood and roof are faded from a poor storage choice, so I know the remainder of the factory paint will likely go...
...and a 1980 924 Turbo S underway
ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, those decals are NLA from Porsche.

This is a conundrum, depending on what you hope to do with the car. If you care about Concours, then you are going to need to find someone who can faithfully reproduce the film-type decals Porsche was using back in the day. I'm sure there are graphics shops that can do this, but I don't personally know of any offhand.

If you don't care about Concours, there are a handful of graphics guys that can do Vinyl replicas. I've been happy with the vinyl graphics that I have purchased from Roy Duncan in the UK: roy924gt AT btinternet DOT com

Did you happen to acquire this car from a guy in Ohio? Does it have the S decal on the hood?

Good luck, and post more pix of your restoration please!
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not an original MY80 decal anyhow, it looks like a MY79 German market decal

Thomas at www.werk924.com does OEM spec decals for post MY80 cars. Also does the turbo door sill decals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: