Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Difference between the 2 fuel pumps.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McMichem  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Difference between the 2 fuel pumps. Reply with quote

I have a 1980 931 I have been messing with, seems to have low fuel pressure because I can't get the injectors to open when adjusting the afr screw. They only open when I manually press down on the metering plate.

Before it's mentioned, I am going to invest in a via pressure tester at some point just don't have the money and feel like tinkering.

My external pump vibrated a lot when I originally got it and Im kinda thinking its on its way out.

-Which pump provides the most pressure in the system?

-if it's not the pump, and I would like to do this regardless... Would it hurt or help anything as far as cleaning the distributor and the injectors to fill my tank and add a modest amount of seafoam or fuel injection cleaner and run a few gallons of fuel through the injectors with them out? I wonder if over the few years it's been sitting if anything is stuck inside the dist.

I know I need to clean the tank at some point regardless, I just don't feel up to it myself in my small garage without a lift, it just feels like the kind of thing I would mess up and be out of luck.
jason c  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between the 2 fuel pumps. Reply with quote

McMichem wrote:
I have a 1980 931 I have been messing with, seems to have low fuel pressure because I can't get the injectors to open when adjusting the afr screw. They only open when I manually press down on the metering plate.

Before it's mentioned, I am going to invest in a via pressure tester at some point just don't have the money and feel like tinkering.

My external pump vibrated a lot when I originally got it and Im kinda thinking its on its way out.

-Which pump provides the most pressure in the system?

-if it's not the pump, and I would like to do this regardless... Would it hurt or help anything as far as cleaning the distributor and the injectors to fill my tank and add a modest amount of seafoam or fuel injection cleaner and run a few gallons of fuel through the injectors with them out? I wonder if over the few years it's been sitting if anything is stuck inside the dist.

I know I need to clean the tank at some point regardless, I just don't feel up to it myself in my small garage without a lift, it just feels like the kind of thing I would mess up and be out of luck.

Fun with editing.....
McMichem wrote:
I have a 1980 931 I have been messing with......adjusting the afr screw.....I am going to invest in a via pressure tester at some point just don't have the money and feel like tinkering........it just feels like the kind of thing I would mess up and be out of luck.

Seriously though.....
Yes, clean the system. I would take apart as much as possible, clean it all out & run some FI cleaner through the system with the injectors out & lines in bottles. Letting the cleaner sit the system for awhile will help.

If there's junk in the tank & you don't clean it out, you'll be right back where you started.
The second pump does most of the work.

You're better in the long run not to start messing with anything until you get a tester, read a manual & understand it.
ideola  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Difference between the 2 fuel pumps. Reply with quote

McMichem wrote:
I can't get the injectors to open

The mechanical injectors do seize. It's possible they're bad. Do you have any known good alternates to use for testing purposes?
McMichem  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any extra's to test them. I need to have a few sections of fuel lines made before I can even do that and can't find a slice cheaper than $300 for the set so it might be a while.

Thinking I have a fuel pressure issue as I think suggested by either you or Eddie in another post. Gonna get the fuel lines made eventually (possibly have shrader valve put on it if that's possible so I can test fuel pressure up to the dist.). If that's the issue I'm most likely gonna drop $140 at your store for a new pump.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: