Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Project: JjyKs' 924na goes EFI turbo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
Wouldn't thai block the airflow to the rad?

No more so than an A/C Condenser, oil cooler, etc.

Perfectly functional, provided there is sufficient sealing and ducting to ensure the air goes through the intercooler and then the radiator and then out of the car.

So the factory undertray with some additional sheetmetal or plastic cooling ducts should provide a good path for the air through the front of the car and out underneath.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat22turbo wrote:
No more so than an A/C Condenser.

JjyKs  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered an intercooler, fuel pressure regulator and a blow off valve and also some not so necessary things like boost cauge. IC is going to be 70x18x6.35cm (27.5x7x2.5) Small enough to not cover entire radiator. I'm still pretty sure that the engine will get a sufficient cooling even when the main hole is covered by the intercooler.

If for some reason the cooling seems insufficient, i can also always make 924 turbo style holes to the (what's the name of that plate with a Porsche emblem and turbo holes?), and get some ducting to reroute the air to the radiator.

The turbo is getting side mounted to the drivers side of the engine, so there's pretty much room to move the radiator back or tilt it if it's needed to get the ducting done.
JjyKs  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came up with an idea about oil return. For some reason drilling the pan while engine is in the car doesn't sound like a good idea, even though many people have done it, and where the car currently sits there is no way to lift the engine out of the car either. So i googled around, and found out that some people even mount their turbos to the end of the exhaust system and pump the oil back, however i wouldn't like to trust some electric pump to keep my turbo alive, so the next logical step was to think about returning the oil below the oil level to the oil drain plug.

If the oil wouldn't foam at all in the turbo, there really shouldn't be any problem just hooking the return line there, however the turbo might build some bubbles into the oil. Then i came across some turbo motorbike project, and found out a pretty interesting approach.

This should work according to this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communicating_vessels

Any thoughts?
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just make sure you wont scrape that area with your lowered car.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can drop the crossmember and drop the oil pan from there.

Also, I'm not sure why you have a line running from the cylinder head to the oil drain.
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat22turbo wrote:
I'm not sure why you have a line running from the cylinder head to the oil drain.

As noted on the drawing, it's a breather line to relieve any pressure that might build up in the "catch can" style box he has depicted.

All 924 oil pans have an extra port above the oil drain line that is used on the turbo cars to return oil from the OEM air-oil separator. Is this port not tapped and plugged already on your oil pan? It's been a while since I've looked at an NA drain pan, but I seem to remember that they were all tapped and plugged, unless maybe the early pre-79 (pre-931) cars didn't have this.

In any event, that would be a better location to allow the oil to drain into. The drain plug is too low.

Where do you plan to take your oil feed from?
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see the plug I'm referring to in the lower right of this photo:

JjyKs  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, i'll check as soon as it gets a little warmer there so it's a little bit more comfortable to get under the car. I can't remember if that was tapped, since last time i was looking at the oil pan only thing i was looking after was the oil filter and drain plug.

I was thinking about getting the oil pressure from oir pressure sending unit with an Y-branch. Any better ideas for that?
ideola  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JjyKs wrote:
I was thinking about getting the oil pressure from oir pressure sending unit with an Y-branch. Any better ideas for that?

Yes, I would recommend installing a remote oil filter setup that will get the oil filter away from the hot NA exhaust manifold. These usually consist of an adapter that attaches to the block and provides for the fitment of AN fittings and steel braided lines. These would be routed through an oil temp thermostat to a remote filter mount. Most remote filter mounts have additional ports so you can add things like oil temp sender as well as a feed line for your turbo. That's how I would do it. It's a bit more complex, but in the long run will be a more elegant solution and provide much better oil cooling. You could even add an oil cooler into the mix later on, which is a good idea on a turbo-charged car.

Something like this, but find one that has the add'l ports (usually 1/8-NPT) for a temp sender and a feed to your turbo. You need one that has a 3/4-16 fitting to attach to the OEM Porsche filter nipple.
JjyKs  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:

Yes, I would recommend installing a remote oil filter setup that will get the oil filter away from the hot NA exhaust manifold.
Something like this, but find one that has the add'l ports (usually 1/8-NPT) for a temp sender and a feed to your turbo. You need one that has a 3/4-16 fitting to attach to the OEM Porsche filter nipple.

That's actually a very good idea. I thought about that couple months ago, but since i couldn't get under the car back then, i didn't investigate it further since i had no idea about the size of Porsches filter size connectors. Going to look at the options asap. Thanks !

E: Couldn't find any local sellers for anything else than OEM parts for some cars with limited information about connectors. Ordered this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252196929912

Now that you've mentioned it, i'll most likely get some oil cooler as well.

morghen wrote:
just make sure you wont scrape that area with your lowered car.

My car ain't lowered as far as i know Not 100% sure since 924:s are quite rare here (seen one guy driving a very tired looking stock 924 here in my city, and couple 944:s during whole summer.).

If you're referring to some pics i've posted the sideskirts and bumper goes a lot lower than the original ones.
JjyKs  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update about parts i got today. Gas shocks for boot, blow off valve, 6 meters of Braided stainless steel oil/gas hose, boost cauge, brake master cylinder, door handle seals and door step trims

These door step trims are actually very cool and fit the style of the car pretty well. Was too dark to get a good picture of them sitting in the car.
JjyKs  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved the question to its own thread: http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?p=379125#379125
JjyKs  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to use my stock throttle body instead of the one i bought earlier. Mounted the TPS. Basically i just used a long nut, bolted an extension to the other end and glued that with epoxy to the TPS.

Strong enough to hold the throttle body from that. Then made a little bracket which keeps the sensors body in place.
JjyKs  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my intercooler and rims today. And no worries, the block/cylinder walls/pistons are covered in vaseline to protect them from the winter even though the head is off.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: