Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Torque Observations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcope  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that my car accelerates most aggressively starting around 3K rpms and up to just over 4K. Below maybe 2800 it's kind of a dog. Unfortunately it blasts through the 3-4K range very quickly. Then I don't get as much out of it above about 4200. Winding these engines up near redline seems to just be a waste.

I guess that's why these cars are so great on the highway. In 5th gear at 70mph or so, I'm right in the range where my car is at its best. Dropping to 4th for a pass puts it right around the top of the best range. Also if I try to keep it in that range by paying attention to when I shift, I get the best possible performance. For instance on a sharp curve in the mountains, I can figure what gear I need to be in coming out so I'm not over or under geared. So that I'm flying before I get to the next curve. Damn. I want to take the day off now.

Just wanted to throw that out there. I wonder how other Ss behave. Does this change as the engine ages? I wonder if driving style over the years could affect it. Some people are habitual under-shifters. Also I wonder how this compares to a regular 924.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock 924 (2.0L) torque curve is flat from 3-5k RPM... weak below that, and yes, drops off quickly... sounds like yours. Get a turbo! LOL

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh my power curve is from about 2800rpm and doesn't really drop off at all till 6000rpm but has enough power to go up to 7000rpm with ease
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll still pull up there, but not as much.

'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
Lizard  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a N/A and it doesn't seem to drop off at all between 2800 to 6000 i have had a few mods though
MAS  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My (unmoddified) 87 924S pulls hard from 3000 rpm and doesn't let up until the rev limiter kicks in at 6400.

My favourite gear is usually 3rd at around 3000 rpm, especially on the twisties.

-MAS
Lizard  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey MAS remover your rev limiter they are the devil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: