Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

My third 924 is a 931 restore thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: My third 924 is a 931 restore thread Reply with quote

Here we go again... This one was found local. It had popped up on Craigslist several times and then went away. I've looked at it and it's salvageable but that needs to happen soon. Non-runner. Door seals leaking. Moldy interior. But a complete car with shop manuals. Probably a two owner car. I'm going to start restoration thread on this forum as it seems to be the most active and informed for 931. It's a '82 with option codes 423, 425, 461, 650. Paint is LM9Y black. Give me a few days to figure out attaching photos here.

Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet.
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice find.
I think LM9Y is silver not black but i could be wrong.
good luck and dont forget to post pics and progress reports here.
this forum has a lot of members, most dont post so ofthen but many read the news here
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morghen - I got that color code reference here...

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?make=Porsche&con=k&year=1982&rows=50

Rasta - You knew I'd get a 931 sooner or later didn't you
nickthompson  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to run those spiderwebs? If you change wheels I might be interested in thise.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: The saga begins Reply with quote

Well I bought the 931 today. Before I dropped the cash, I pushed it a bit in 5th gear and the belts turned so I know the crank is free. It's got one area on the drivers rear fender that's been fixed and some of the paint is coming off, a small bit of rust and some bubbles. Other than that the body looks good. The interior is a bit of a mess. The passenger floor board was wet and I figured out that was coming from the battery tray. You could see wet leaf fragments where it was dripping and that carpet was getting green slime. There's some mildew on the seats. The PO had an aftermarket air dam put on the front fascia so that's probably coming off. Some crude wiring for radio shack speakers in the rear and an alarm horn in the battery tray (those all go straight in the trash). I also noted after market boost and temp gauges in a pod mounted to the center speaker grill. After unloading the car garage, first priority was to get the carpet dried out, vacuum, clean up the mildew and just get it where your not afraid to sit in it. I pulled the battery and found the rust hole (typical body filler fix gone bad). Next will be to follow the first start procedure I read on this forum after replacing the timing belt. This is going to take some time.

[/img]
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickthompson wrote:
Are you going to run those spiderwebs? If you change wheels I might be interested in thise.

Going to keep those for now Nick. Thanks for the offer though
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does not look too bad. A bit of work and this should be a nice car.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Does not look too bad. A bit of work and this should be a nice car.

That's what I'm thinking Morghen. At least a decent driver. Probably never a concours winner.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:45 am    Post subject: Seat extraction Reply with quote

Got the seats out yesterday evening. The drivers was most troublesome with the rails being bound up by rust and crud. Liberal PB Baster fixed that. Then I peeled up the floor pan carpeting. The under layment was wet. Especially the passenger side. So I peeled all that out and tossed it. The pans don't appear corroded however. I left the carpet bunched up and box fan blowing all night. Everything nice and dry this morning. I also jumped in the engine compartment, pulled the air filter and housing. I was thinking that would be enough to get the timing belt cover off. I was wrong. Pulled the coolant hose to thermostat, took the alternator belt off and loosened up the snorkel where it joins the ???. Anyway, I wrestled out the cover and the belt looks okay and I found the camshaft gear timing mark. What's the mark look like on the crankshaft pulley? I want to confirm that it's timed correctly before ordering parts. My preliminary list includes...

timing belt
belt tensioner
alternator belt
fuel filter
water pump
oil filter
air filter
ignition wires
thermostat
radiator hose kit
distributor cap, rotor and plugs (which I already have, common to 914)

With those parts, some luck with the fuel pump and relay, I should be able to get this joker started. I'm also going to soak the cylinders with WD 40 before I start cranking.

One concern I'm having though, there's been zero coolant in this engine so far. I'm hoping that the water pump or a hose failed and it got shut down before damage occurred. I guess worst case would be cracked head or block. That would suck.

ideola  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely color. Was this the car that was on CL in Murfreesboro TN? This looks like an excellent restoration candidate.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm conflicted on the color. The options say black but is it? Yes, this is the CL car in Murfreesboro. I've been watching pop up and go away for about a year. After looking at it, I figured if someone didn't get it inside soon, it was going to really degrade. That rust hole in the cowl was letting a lot of water in.

OBTW - I replied to your PM.

ideola wrote:
Lovely color. Was this the car that was on CL in Murfreesboro TN? This looks like an excellent restoration candidate.

Han Solo  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Paperwork inside Reply with quote

Sorting through the paperwork that came with this one. 924 Turbo shop manual, 924 Climers manual, some insurance certificates and a dealer pre-delivery form. All indications are this was a one owner car! Delivered 12/29/81 at Vaughn Motor Co. in Murfressboro TN. Nice Christmas present. Last service stamp is 6/14/83 at 15,005 miles. Unfortunately no invoice present but getting just these documents is huge.

Han Solo  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Good news Reply with quote

It's been a very productive weekend. I'm happy to report that I was able to get the engine on this 931 started. I spun the crank a couple of times by hand with the plugs out. Those came out looking okay. A bit toasty but no rust. The crank spun freely with no odd noises or resistance. I had a pretty new plug set from a 914 and put those in. I had been charging the battery that came with the car for a couple days and tried to turn it over with that - but no dice. I was able to check the headlights, tail lights and blower motors though. All good. I grabbed a new battery I've be using on a winch and got that hooked up. Turn the key and it's cranking good. Oil pressure light goes out. Put the plug wires on and give it a good shot of starting fluid. It catches, idles for a bit and then sputters out. I did that a couple more times and the idle gets a little better each time. Then I get a can of spray Sea Foam and start give good bursts of that into the AFM. It just gets better and better. I sprayed some into the vacuum line off the brake booster also. And I found why there was no engine coolant - the water pump is weeping bad so it's toast. But after coming up a bit in temp the radiator fans kick in big time and water in circulating. I'm very pleased with the fact there appears to be nothing major wrong with this engine at this time.

kcoyle  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm digging that kooky front spolier/valence thing going on there.

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: