Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

My third 924 is a 931 restore thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject: Moving sideways Reply with quote

Well I never did get that transmission fill plug out. I think I'll wait till I've driven it a good bit and everything is nice and warm before I try again.

Yesterday I pulled the alternator and dropped it off this morning at Alternator Starter Exchange. They put it on the test bench and yes, it's toast. So they estimate $150 to rebuild.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Good news Reply with quote

I picked up the re-built starter today and it looks great! $125 plus tax, sweet! I put it in the 931 tonight and there's a definite improvement. With a little starter fluid and jumping the fuel pumps, the car started first try. I ran it for about 20 minutes and the fuel pump isn't making noise anymore. Hot re-start was perfect. Tomorrow morning I'll try a stone cold start without starter fluid. It's hard to believe that not having enough voltage would make such a difference. Before I was reading 12V at the battery terminals when running, now I've got 14.3V. Next up is vacuum hose replacement. I've got a complete set of silicon hoses on order from this company...

http://www.hiperformancestore.com/

I also built a CIS pressure tool using the instructions and materials list I found here...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6060634-DIY-Fuel-Pressure-Tester&p=82272967&viewfull=1#post82272967

Things are looking better!

Han Solo  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject: Vacuum hose replacement begins Reply with quote

A couple of days ago I received the complete vacuum hose replacement kit from High Performance Store. Well, it's not quite complete. The kit has three sizes of silicone hoses. The smallest is compatible with all the small vacuum hoses and wiper fluid hoses. The medium size I haven't found a use for yet and the larger size is a good replacement for brake booster hose, etc. There's an instruction sheet that spells out what size is good for what hose and it claims that the fit is so snug that hose clamps aren't needed except for coolant hose applications. And they do fit tight. I went with silver just to help in identifying routing and leaks in the future. I started by removing the turbo snorkel and disconnecting the two multi-plugs. That gave me pretty good access to several hoses. I then replaced the small hose from the snorkel to the "y". Then I went to the brake booster hose. I trace the path and identify where these hoses are connected, pull one out after loosening or cutting crimped clamps and then take the original to my bench and cut the new segment to exact lengths. The only connection I used a clamp on was the "y" on the booster hose that has a flaired end. That was really tough to wiggle the larger hose on and I felt it needed a clamp to be sure. I discovered that the larger hose is not big enough to replace all the elbows. There's two elbows on the vacuum limiter, another on the aux. air regulator, another on the snorkel and yet another on the intake manifold. Those will have to be ordered. For testing purposes, I simply wrapped all those elbows with electrical tape and put everything back together. No change in the cold start problem. I also noticed that the large hose to the AOS is badly cracked and will need to be replaced. So I didn't get everything changed out but the car still runs so at least I didn'y go backwards. I'll order the elbows and the AOS hose and next time I go in, I'll be able to replace more leaking hoses. That will probably mean pulling out the warm up valve and aux. air regulator to get to everything.

Han Solo  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:43 am    Post subject: New shoes Reply with quote

My anniversary present from my lovely wife was a set of new tires for the 931. I went with 195 x 50 R15 Hankook RS-3s. The tires that were on it were 215 x 65 R15 and completely shot. There's considerable overall diameter difference on the new tires and I did that on purpose. The smaller diameter lowers the car and shorter sidewalls give a stiffer ride. It looks a little odd and most guys prefer the larger tire but this will work well if I autocross the car. Another benefit is more torque and less sprung weight.

I immediately took the car for a test run and you can definitely tell the difference in ride height. Now I can feel the slop in the suspension which will need new bushings, strut inserts, springs and rear shocks. I also noted jerkiness in the steering well under hard braking so that's tie rod ends. And, the ring on the steering well is loose on one of the spokes so I'll need to replace that as well.

This weekend I'm going to drain and flush the fuel tank as the internal pump was complaining again after driving a few minutes. I'll bet there's rust clogging the screen.

Han Solo  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Going in deep Reply with quote

Mid week I decided to drain the fuel tank. So I pulled the hose off the external pump and drained off most of the fuel into a catch pan. Then I pulled out the internal pump and there's some rust flakes on the screen. I then cleaned the two catch pans and flushed about a gallon of fuel through the tank. You can see what came out in the first photo. Another gallon through the tank and I'm still getting rust but much less. So I buttoned everything back up and put in some fresh fuel. Now the external pump is whining and cold start is not happening even with starter fluid. The motor will catch for a moment but is definitely fuel starved. So I'm thinking that external pump is toast. This rusty tank is killing me! I've got to either replace it with a good tank or do a proper seal coat.

After reading up on the procedure, I decided to drop the trans-axle today to get that fuel tank out. So first comes off the rear exhaust pipe and muffler. I found one bolt missing on the front to rear pipe flange. No big deal. Then I started removing the inner CV axle screws. That all went well and I figured as long as I'm doing that, I might as well re-pack the CV joints and get fresh boots. So I'm taking the outer CV screws out and I found one broken off on the drivers side and another breaks there as I'm loosening. Again, no big deal. But when I get the axles out on the garage floor I noticed that the passenger side axle is smaller than the drivers side. Someone has replaced that axle with a NA 924 axle at some point. Crap! Now I've got to get a complete passenger side 931 drive axle with CV joints. The two plastic covers come of and I'm able to loosen the spline coupler and slide it to the rear without drama. The protective cover on the rear linkage is hardened and rips up as I'm getting that bolt out. Then the circlip on the shifter breaks as I'm getting the shift rod off. That's a really odd design to have the shift rod pass through the trans case but nothing surprises me anymore regarding Porsche engineering. After getting that rod clear and jack under the transmission, I figure out that the torque tube doesn't separate from the front bell on the trans. There's four bolts left (two at the top are missing but I'm glad) and after those come off the trans starts to drop and after a couple of jiggles, slides out nicely. I guess I've popped my cherry on 924/944 transmission extraction. If getting the fuel tank out is half as much fun as this, I just can't wait!

Han Solo  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Oh the humanity! Reply with quote

Got home from work and finished dropping the tank. It's bad my friends...
I removed the exhaust heat shield then went to work getting the rear interior trim off to access the fill neck and vapor hoses. Then I removed the fuel level sender wires. I also removed the high pressure fuel pump and bench tested it. It appears to be fine, strongly squirting out the fuel inside when I applied 12V. I did observe some very fine rust particles when I tapped the inlet on a shop towel on my bench. Then I'm under the car ready to drop the tank and dreading whatever creatures are residing on top of it. The driver side strap was already free of the slip fitting under the trunk. So I take loose the passenger side strap and start wiggling the tank down. A mouse nest and some seeds fall off the top but thankfully no brown recluse spiders (at least none alive). So with the tank on the garage floor, I pulled the fuel level sender and there's some real funk on the bottom of that. Taking my phone to that opening for the last three photos. Straight down, to the left side and higher up the right side. You can see the rust is REALLY bad. Only the very top sides and top of the tank look somewhat okay. If I were to clean and metal prep this tank for POR 15, I don't think there would be enough thickness left for it to be structural. I don't understand why Porsche would have a car with a galvanized body/chassis and put a non-galvanized metal tank in it. It just doesn't make sense.

Han Solo  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject: Step by step Reply with quote

Last several evenings I've been cleaning the exhaust and transmission. The exhaust pipe and muffler look really good after taking a wire brush to them. I got some high temp black paint and painted the muffler. I also took the trans mounts, muffler hanger bracket and rear shield of the transmission. I spent several hours wire brushing, scraping and spraying with brake cleaner to get those parts looking good. Today I dug in and got the fill and drain plugs out. I had to drill, cut and use a chisel to finally get those to spin out. Tomorrow I'm going over to the 944 Orphanage to get a replacement CV axle. I've also got a fuel tank and fuel level sender coming from Ideola.

Han Solo  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: The struggle continues Reply with quote

Last weekend's trip to the 944 Orphanage was a good trip. I returned with a re-built half axle for only $65 plus tax, two transmission plugs and a window switch. Monday I ordered CV boots for the good axle on the car. Also on that order were bushings for the transmission shift linkage, another fuel filter, exhaust pipe seal and a cir-clip to replace the one that broke when I pulled the shift rod off the shift stick. During the week I dis-assembled that axle, cleaned all the old grease out of the CV joints and painted the shaft. Also during the week I received the replacement fuel tank which has very little rust on inspection. I rinsed that tank out really well and blasted it inside with hot air from a heat gun. With the inside super dry, I installed the tank, fuel pumps, fuel lines and fuel level sender. I had put the drain plug in the transmission and filled with Mobile synthetic gear oil. Today that parts order arrived and I started with replacing the shift linkage bushings. That went trouble free until one of the shift pins sheared off when I was tightening. It's always something that stops progress... So I'll have to order one of those and extract the remains. I replaced the fuel filter and the first one did have a lot of very fine rust particles that came out. I went ahead and put a couple gallons of fuel in the tank to check for leaking hoses and everything was good. I jumped the fuel pump terminals and started cranking to see if I could get the car started. I took a while, but I did get it running after I pumped a can of spray Sea Foam into the fuel distributor. Now the idle is really not happening. I can blip the throttle and keep it running but it will die during idle. So the fine rust particles have probably screwed another component up. Tomorrow I'm taking the 914 autocross and forgetting about this one for a while.

Han Solo  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: A drive in the sun Reply with quote

I was able to drive this 931 for about 20 minutes today. It's been a long time coming but that was a nice little payoff for some hard work. Here's what I've been doing to get the car back together.

Mid week I extracted the bolt end of the broken shift pin. It actually spun free as soon as I got a drill bit a ways into it. So yesterday I was waiting on parts and started messing around with the passenger side window regulator. I pulled the door panel, lubed up the mechanism and put 12V directly to the motor terminals. The motor came to life! A little sluggish and noisy at first but after running it up and down a couple times, much smoother. Then it was just a matter of getting the window switches to work. The drivers side works great so I used that circuit to test the passenger door and drivers door switches. After adjusting the contact springs a couple times, I was able to get the passenger window to raise and lower from the drivers side switch. The passenger side switch only works going down but I'm content with have both functions on the drivers side.

I got the parts order last night that included a replacement shift pin and an accumulator. I figured with all the rust going through the fuel system it would be best to go ahead and replace the accumulator while the transmission is out. So I got the replacement pin installed and the linkage is working well. Then I replaced the accumulator. Now it's time to get that beast of a tranny back in. I used my floor jack and discovered that you have to balance that joker just right to get the correct angle and position. I also had some blocks to help me get that lined up. Slow and easy is the game and I had installed the coupler already on the trans splines. Once I was able to get the trans mount bolts in loosely, everything started lining up nicely. Got the bell housing bolts in loosely, shoved the shift rod back and coupled that (with a nice new cover). Then I shoved the spline coupler forward to get those matted. If you use a 2x4 on the seat front to push the clutch in, you can spin both splines and it makes that process fairly easy. Finally I tightened down the bell housing and trans mount bolts.

Next was the CV axles and I packed them with CV joint grease before installing. No problems with those and I'm glad I went ahead re-built them earlier to prevent problems later.

Finally I installed the muffler heat shield and muffler/pipe assembly. I put in a new sealing ring in the flange joint, used new bolts and nuts and also ordered the big band clamp that goes around the muffler and support bracket. The whole assembly is much tighter and higher now than it was missing that band clamp.

So I put the rear wheels back on, drop the car off the jacks and start it up. It still needs several shots of ether to get going but once it's warmed up, it's running pretty good. I did do a couple of tweeks to the idle stop and idle adjustment on the throttle body to get that a little better. Then I'm driving off to a couple of nearby rural roads and it's performing well. The aftermarket boost gauge says it peaks out a 15 which is a bit higher than I remember it doing. Meanwhile I'm getting a strong smell of gas in the drivers compartment. I'm attributing that to a loose hose on the fuel tank but... when I get the car back in the garage and I'm putting it back on the skates... I found a fuel leak. The hard fuel line after the fuel filter has been punctured by the window wiper linkage. Crap! Well at least I know where the leak is. I think I can repair that with a compression fitting coupler. I've done that on 924S fuel line to replace the rubber portion and not the whole line which goes all the way to the rear of the car. It's always something!

Han Solo  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: A couple weeks later... Reply with quote

Well I got the compression coupler and the ID of the hard line was 1 mm too large. Rather than order another fitting one size greater (which probably won't bite well) I got some 3/8" high pressure fuel hose and slid that over the hard line after cutting about 1" out where the abrasions were. Clamped that down really good and it's holding well with the fuel pumps on. So that enabled me to get back to getting vacuum leaks fixed. I've replaced all the vacuum hoses in the engine compartment except the two that run to the canister under the fender. I used up all the larger size silicon hose and I've emailed the vendor about the shortage. I also replaced the smaller vacuum hoses on the AC unit and all the windshield washer hoses. So I went to start up cold to see if all those replacement hoses made any difference and it did seem to start a little better but I'm still having to use ether (warm start is still good). While I was testing the head lights before an evening test drive, the damn washer pump came off it's mounts, got wedged up in the headlight mechanism and fractured the washer bottle slightly. I'm going to patch that with some fiberglass resin and stick that washer pump down for good. I did get to drive the car that evening and that went well. I've also taken delivery on some pretty decent early 944 seats from a Pelican member. The seats in this 924 are rapidly falling apart at the seams just getting in and out testing, etc. I won't put those newer seats in until this project is much further along. I've also ordered a new fuel tank sender and today I found a 931 brake booster on eBay. After confirming that the booster vacuum valve is good, I tested the brake booster and it's not sinking at all with my foot on it during start up. That's another potential source of vacuum leak that needs to be eliminated. It's unbelieveable how complex the vacuum system is on these cars!
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Bit by bit Reply with quote

I took delivery on a couple more needed parts yesterday. The fuel tank sender installed quickly and easily. It's sure nice knowing how much is in the tank. I also put an ounce of Lucas Oil Ethanol Gas Treatment in while the sender was out. I'm going to use that every time I add fuel to mitigate corrosion. I also got a replacement interior light as I was really getting tired of those wires dangling out between the sun visors. And I replaced the last vacuum elbow. Note that the parts diagram says you need three of that size - NO you need four. Finally, I've found a replacement sports steering wheel for a decent price. Looks like the interior is going to come along quicker than I expected.

[img]

Last edited by Han Solo on Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:17 am    Post subject: Good vendor Reply with quote

I got an email from High Performance Store and they're sending more silicon hose. He explained that he had only two or three orders over the last five years for 931 kits so he wasn't exact on the amount or sizes needed for that model. So I replied with a thanks and said I'd give him exact sizes and lengths needed after I finished all the hose replacement. Good customer service so I would definitely recommend buying from...

FUN2DRV  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Good vendor Reply with quote

Han Solo wrote:
I got an email from High Performance Store and they're sending more silicon hose. He explained that he had only two or three orders over the last five years for 931 kits so he wasn't exact on the amount or sizes needed for that model. So I replied with a thanks and said I'd give him exact sizes and lengths needed after I finished all the hose replacement. Good customer service so I would definitely recommend buying from...

That's good news, I will have to order a kit from him after you finish with your order.
Han Solo  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Brake booster re-hab Reply with quote

Cleaned up and painted the 931 brake booster I bought on eBay.

ideola  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bit by bit Reply with quote

Han Solo wrote:
And I replaced the last vacuum elbow. Note that the parts diagram says you need three of that size - NO you need four.

On an S2 car like yours, yes, you need 4 of those elbows. On an S1, you need 3. The reason for this discrepancy is the AAV hard pipe that goes under the upper charge tube, which is different between the two models where that last elbow you pictured connects to the upper charge tube. Details, details!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: