Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Finally!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knz  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Finally! Reply with quote

I finally got around to bringing down the 931 I bought almost 2 months ago... Now the fun actually begins to get her running again.

I swapped out the one fuel injector on cyl. 1 and the engine is running much better now that it is actually getting fuel to all 4 cylinders. Its still running really rough tho, and the car will not idle. The engine just dies slowly. It will run if I keep giving it gas, but I don’t want to force it. I am thinking new fuel filters are in order!

The whole car is very clean tho, as is the engine bay:

I'm having a very hard time believing this car has 104k on it... Everything under the hood is too clean for that mileage, and I know that 2 of the last 3 POs didn't even drive the car. From what I gather the car has been sitting since '93 at least. The shift linkages feel really tight too. nothing like my first 924 that had close to 90k on it... That car showed it too.

The car also came with this inter-cooler:

Anyone know if its period correct?

Apparently it had been installed in the passenger wheel well?
Now there are two cut outs in that wheel well that are not pretty...
1980 931 (#185) for sale
1980 931 (#196) engine rebuild
1983 928S Project
1983 944 Summer Car
2002 BMW 525i Winter Car
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely car! You should let pcelenta know what the VIN is, as we were just talking about early US 931s in this thread: http://924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=41318

That is definitely NOT an OEM intercooler. Fascinating idea of putting it behind the front wheel...although I wouldn't expect it to be very efficient in that location (airflow too limited to extract much heat). You'd be better off installing an inexpensive water-meth injection kit if you wanted to up the boost a little.

Make sure the fuel filter isn't installed backward (common noob mistake). The arrow should point at the windshield. If it points the other way, it's on backward. You should scrap it and replace with a new one. Do NOT simply flip it around as it will flush crud into your fuel distributor.

Have you conducted a spray pattern test on all 4 injectors? If so, next step would be a proper CIS test (procedure here: http://924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=35734)

Strongly recommend running a bottle or two of Techron for the next fill up or two. That stuff is magic and does a great job clearing out old varnish.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close up of AOS please. Metal?
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:

I have one of those in my parts bin. I was going to use it, but the hose size is different than the plastic ones, so I never bothered to convert.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume by parts bin, you mean something oppressively inaccessible? What car did it come from?
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
I presume by parts bin, you mean something oppressively inaccessible? What car did it come from?

It might be here in IL now. I just brought another load back from MI last weekend, and I've been bringing back the "keeper" spares. Planning to put them away today, so I'll keep my eye out to see if it's any of the boxes I brought. We're planning to go back again over the long weekend to get another car and load of parts, so if it's not here, I can look for it again in MI.

As for where it came from, I honestly do not remember. Back in '05 or so, I had acquired Joe Pabon's 931 project, which was an early silver 931. It's possible it came in the pile of parts with that car, but I can't be certain. But I've had it for quite a while now.
SlayerSST  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one in my 80 931. My 81 came with plastic.
Knz  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took off that 944 spoiler. The paint is cleaning up pretty nice everywhere so far.

I have a strange feeling this is the factory installed fuel filter (now replaced)

Even comes with a CB radio and transmitter!!

The galvanization is really clean under this car, as is the engine bay. I am starting to have this suspicion that the 4975 on the odometer are actual miles, and not 104,975... The odometer seems to be working, but I haven't really driven at all to confirm that. Is there any way to confirm mileage to confirm or deny my suspicions?

I also removed those horrible rear rubber pads since the right one was broken. I think I will leave them off. Anyone have a 931 spoiler laying around?

I've also diagnosed my fuel issue to no in-tank pump. which would explain why the main pump is having trouble. The previous owner lowered the position of the intake of the external pump below the lowest point in the fuel tank, but I do not like that arrangement. I remember there was an issue with replacement pumps fitting into the gas tank, Is this still an issue?

Additionally the fuel distributor needs either a good cleaning, or more probably a rebuild. I am also going to weather seal the battery tray as it has started rusting.. I am not sure what I will be using for that yet.
1980 931 (#185) for sale
1983 928S Project
1983 944 Summer Car
2002 BMW 525i Winter Car
ideola  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knz wrote:
I am starting to have this suspicion that the 4975 on the odometer are actual miles, and not 104,975... The odometer seems to be working, but I haven't really driven at all to confirm that. Is there any way to confirm mileage to confirm or deny my suspicions?

Highly unlikely that the car only has 4975 miles. The seat wear alone indicates otherwise. It's much more likely that it actually has MORE than 104975 miles, as the odo gears are known to slip before they fail entirely. On one of my cars several years ago, I couldn't figure out why I was only getting 16MPG even when properly tuned, only to find out the odo was dramatically under-recording mileage. It appeared to work, but was only recording about 1 mile for every 2 actually driven. I discovered it when we drove three of my cars down to 944Fest a few years back.
ideola  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ideola wrote:
Rasta Monsta wrote:

I have one of those in my parts bin. I was going to use it, but the hose size is different than the plastic ones, so I never bothered to convert.

I seem to recall that the lower drain nipple on the metal unit is just enough larger than the plastic unit that it would not work with the OEM drain line, at least the one that was on the Club Sport, which is the car I was intending to use this on.

I cannot for the life of me remember where this came from. I think it was in a parts lot, not a car that I parted myself.
Knz  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the 5 lug setup off a late production 1985 944 bolt on to this 931? I'm getting a 944 roller for free, and I was wondring what I can use from it.

Has anyone swapped out the 924 gas tank for the plastic 944 tank? I'm tempted to try, and swap over to a 944 fuel delivery setup as well.
1980 931 (#185) for sale
1983 928S Project
1983 944 Summer Car
2002 BMW 525i Winter Car
924-76  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knz wrote:
Has anyone swapped out the 924 gas tank for the plastic 944 tank? I'm tempted to try, and swap over to a 944 fuel delivery setup as well.

Here: http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=29582&highlight=tank
ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knz wrote:
Will the 5 lug setup off a late production 1985 944 bolt on to this 931? I'm getting a 944 roller for free, and I was wondring what I can use from it.

If it has the steel trailing arms, it should be straight plug and play, except for the front sway bar mounts. If it has aluminum trailing arms and front a-arms, everything will work, but you will need to transfer over more parts. More details here: http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=27357
Knz  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links 924-79 and Ideola, I begin pulling the suspension from the 944 today, should be fun. This one is a late production '85, with the aluminum trailing arms.

I already have its plastic gas tank at my place just needs a good cleaning.

I do have a question about setting up the fuel system however. I guess I will need to swap out the external fuel pump since the plastic tank will not allow for an in-tank pump to be mounted without modification.

Can I run a 944 fuel pump set up win the 924 without swapping the fuel distributor?

I did a bit of digging and found that the early 944 fuel pumps deliver the same 750ml in 30 seconds as the 924 pumps do (Bosch 0 580 464 028)

Would this pump work or am I going to have to get creative with my fuel delivery system?
1980 931 (#185) for sale
1983 928S Project
1983 944 Summer Car
2002 BMW 525i Winter Car
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knz wrote:
Thanks for the links 924-79 and Ideola, I begin pulling the suspension from the 944 today, should be fun. This one is a late production '85, with the aluminum trailing arms.

I already have its plastic gas tank at my place just needs a good cleaning.

I do have a question about setting up the fuel system however. I guess I will need to swap out the external fuel pump since the plastic tank will not allow for an in-tank pump to be mounted without modification.

Can I run a 944 fuel pump set up win the 924 without swapping the fuel distributor?

I did a bit of digging and found that the early 944 fuel pumps deliver the same 750ml in 30 seconds as the 924 pumps do (Bosch 0 580 464 028)

Would this pump work or am I going to have to get creative with my fuel delivery system?

I do not believe a 944 pump alone will cut it for CIS, it may flow the same volume but CIS runs at much more pressure..

In your case I think I would try to run the 944 pump and then the 924 inline pump in series, that should provide excellent pumping capability beyond OEM..

I would try to not mess with the 924 inline pump to the fuel accumulator lines and beyond, there is a non return valve in there you need and the lines are quite specialized from the inline pump on forward..

I do not know how the 944 tank and pump is set up but it would be best to get your first pump level with the bottom of the tank and then pump to the 924 inline pump right where it is.

Some run just the 924 inline pump with no intank pump or helper pump at all with varying results I read..

I'm not sure what you mean by swapping the fuel distributor but I don't think that approach will get you anywhere..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: