Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

81 Turbo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924martinirossi  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice story Rick. If I don't get my car running I will be reduced to driving my girlfreinds KIA Sportage. Anyways:

I'm having a really bad hair week trying to get my 81 going. You can rev to about 3,000 and let the clutch out and the car barley moves. WHile sitting you can rev the engine to about 2,000 and from 2 - 4k the engine stumbles and backfires.

Test fuel pump #1 with in-tank pump draws 12.55 Amps.

Test fuel pump #2 12.80 Amps with in tank pump

Test fuel pump #2 11.64 Amps with out in tank pump (disconnected).

Both pumps tested 1.5 to 2.5 Amps draw (removed from car).

All timming is right on and have checked it twice. Also swapped cap and spark plug wires.

Who ever can make it over here (Seattle, WA) and help me get this car running properly will get $100 cash and some liquid refreshments.

Michael
Paul  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for vacuum leaks...
John Brown  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When LJ and I started on the 931 project we did run the engine briefly just to see if it would before committing to the project. Ran pretty much as you described, though we only ran it stationary.

After getting the motor out and onto a stand we readily found all sorts of cracked and broken rubber fittings and vacumm lines. I'm surprised it ran at all. Replacing all the pieces was about $300 in all!! But I figured that even if the 20 year old stuff wasn't cracked it soon would be.
924martinirossi  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been spraying carb cleaner around to see if engine speeds up. Haven't found any yet.

Michael
Smoothie  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility is a bad coil. Larso had this recently and I had it a few years back on an old van. It would idle ok, but as soon as any load was put on the engine it would sputter and show no power. A good hot spark is needed to ignite the air:fuel mix when the engine is under load and a weak coil of course puts out a weak spark. It might idle alright with a weak coil, but turn to crap as soon as there's a load on it. They're a bit expensive ($66.99 at Tweeks)(try partsbin), but I'm about to get one and have it ready to throw in when needed.

Update: thepartsbin.com doesn't list the coil. Autozone.com shows one made by "Wells" for $14.99.

[ This Message was edited by: smoothie on 2002-08-28 03:32 ]
clhughart  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the fuel filter. Sounds like a problem we had a few years ago on an 81. Turned out there was rust in the tank which kept clogging the fuel filter.
Paul  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its not fuel or vacuum leaks, I'd check the reference mark sensors next.
924martinirossi  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again I will be spending some quality time with my 81 931. If there is anyone in the greater Seattle that has some time to help out please call 206 4403019 (in the morning) or email me tonight.

Thanks!

Michael
TroyDest  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, I had similar problems with my '82 931 when I first got it. The biggest problem was the fuel filter being dirty and installed backwards. If you look at the fuel line plumbing, you'll see that the filter needs to be installed with the arrow pointing to the REAR of the car.

Other problems that kept popping up were a bad connection at the overboost switch and at the DITC box under the center console. Good Luck. -Troy
924martinirossi  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To rule out the overboost switch you can connect it directly to ground. As for the reversed fuel filter, wouldn't that be a nasty joke to pull???
924martinirossi  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offer still stands. I'll be at my garage untill about 3:00 pm today (Wed 28 Aug). Call me if you can stop by or have any other suggestions. 206-440-3019, Seattle, WA

Thanks.

Michael
924martinirossi  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todays Findings:

Lots of foam air cleaner type material in bottom of gas tank. Removed.

In tank pump very defective and lost it's screen filter, also removed.

Pin 10(12) of Control Unit Acceleration Enrichment module is shorted to ground. Removed throttle body and adjusted.

Found on wire on the above module that IAW manual s/b on pin 5(12), however it is on pin 7(12)

Found pin 5(12) and 11(12) are jumpered to ground.

3mm vacume lines are all orginal with the funkey squeeze clamps. Very brittle, bought 6ft. of new line.

Hooked up spare in-tank pump to my digital powersupply and it pulls .22Amps at 12.51Vdc.

In-tank pump, external pump and associated wiring pull a total of 6.52Amps at 13.30Vdc.

Purolator PM4193 filter is attached to spare in-tank filter.

Also lots of plastic and metal shavings were found in the bottom of the gas tank.

I also need someone to verify some wiring will start new post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: