Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

My project so far.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DZGunner  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: My project so far. Reply with quote

Well so far I've replaced all the alternator/battery/starter wires, removed an unnecessary solenoid, and cleaned a whole bunch of grounds. I soldered and repaired a lot of wires, as well as cut off and removed many more. I've just finished restoring the fuel tank with a POR 15 repair kit, and just got it back in. I'm wondering if i can find a way to get my old 928 fuel pump to hook up, but not sure yet. The car had no pumps when I got it so I'm trying to be resourceful.

I've removed:

AC system and HVAC (all of it)
Radio and antenna
all carpets and interior pieces as well as sound deadening material (except for the bottoms of the rear seats)
Spare tire
washer system (will replace with a smaller container)
EVAP system
Interior lights

I'm keeping the dash and the two seats, because i don't think they weigh all that much, especially being manual seats. But the dash will be pretty nifty, although im not doing anything about the cracks in it, it will still hold the gauges (oil pressure, boost and soon A/F). I will also move the mirror selection adjustment thing to the center, along with a manual boost controller (norgren regulator).

The front was stripped out and cleaned, then primed and painted silver just to look clean.

The idea for the car is to spend little money, but make it run, and steal as much weight from it as i can so help it move along a little faster. Maybe in the future I'll invest in some real upgrades, but for now I'll be happy if it runs and drives.

Does anyone know how much a stock 1980 turbo weighs? We have a weight station up the street that the farmers use for weighing their harvest, and I use it from time to time, so when I get it running I'll tell you guys what I manage to cut it down to.

Also does anyone know what the factory HP is for this year as well? I heard these cars were running 7 PSI from the factory, and planned to only go to maybe 10 PSI with the MBC.

Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unsolicited advice. . .go back to factory airbox.
DZGunner  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's jacked up, so I just went this route, not for looks. really just to save me finding one, paying for it, and most likely cleaning it up.
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What city are you in?
2004 Winnebago Vectra monster RV
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
2001 Ford F350 powerstroke
DZGunner  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billings Montana
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's relatively important imo. 931s have enough thermal problems without sucking hot air right off the radiator, plus you can hook up your breather correctly.
DZGunner  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't the front ducts direct cool air right at the filter anyways?
Grenadiers  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DZGunner wrote:
Billings Montana

oh, the anti-yoga pants state~! Thought maybe you were in the midwest with the farm reference.
2004 Winnebago Vectra monster RV
2012 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Kia Soul
2001 Ford F350 powerstroke
DZGunner  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grenadiers wrote:
DZGunner wrote:
Billings Montana

oh, the anti-yoga pants state~! Thought maybe you were in the midwest with the farm reference.

The anti-everything state is more like it, lol.

People here (in the city at least) aren't so bad though. Once you get further and further from civilization, which isn't hard, they get to be pretty red neck-ish

I live between a major city and a small town, so there is a lot of farm land and ranches around. Unfortunately most of the roads are long straights so there's only a few places to be able to really enjoy a 924's full potential. I have fun with em regardless though,
DZGunner  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a question: did turbo models have a protective belly pan? My 79 NA has one, but my 3 other parts cars have them all missing, if i did get one from an NA model would it fit a 931?
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all did, many ditched them because they are too lazy to reinstall them.

The NA and 931 pans are the same.
DZGunner  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

So if anyone has seen my posts and questions, which im sure many of you have, I've just finished replacing the head gasket and refreshing/cleaning up a lot of parts on my way through.

This car is meant to be a budget fun car, so don't let my trashy looking engine or interior fool you, it's all very functional

The center console holds a manual boost controller, the window buttons have been relocated to here, a boost gauge, the oil pressure gauge, and the empty port is for an A/F ration meter in the near future. The wire stick out from the left hand side of the wheel will be where the mirror selector for the adjustment will go (and maybe some other buttons later on).

The glove box compartment will also have a shaped aluminum cover that's in the making.

Engine picture soon. I have JB weld drying on a 90 degree elbow for the crank case vent right now.

1977 924 (Parts)
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good progress.

You know you could avoid the power window thing with a set of manual units from an early car.
DZGunner  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat22turbo wrote:
Good progress.

You know you could avoid the power window thing with a set of manual units from an early car.

I considered it but decided to keep em for the convenience. I have manual ones on my daily driver NA model and its sort of a pain to lean over to the other one and roll it down just to talk to someone.

I know I said I was trying to cut as much weight as possible, but this will be a street and maybe SCCA car. So I'm not gonna go too crazy with it.

I may have no where to put my insurance or registration, but at least when the cop walks up I can smoothly roll my window down.
1977 924 (Parts)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: