Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Possible Purchase - '81 931
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an s2, with ac, leather steering wheel and paint that you can polish and drive on the road..depending on why it's not revving or working it might be a nice car for about 2k fixed...so yea, from where I'm looking it's a nice deal.
I mean what's 2000 dollars to you? Is it a lot of money? Like I said before, if yes, walk away now. There is no such thing as a cheap Porsche.
If you buy it and it's junk you can get money back by parting it(Some 931 bits are expensive) or selling it as a track day project. Many 944 owners turn their heads towards the 924..many want 931s.
jason c  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeDanger wrote:
they broke at idle?

I've never had a timing belt break on me (during my ownership), I'm careful. I've bought plenty of cars with broken belts that the seller couldn't afford to fix. I've had To fix plenty of customer cars with broken belts too.
We had a customer with a 32V 928. He drove the car to the shop & parked it. The owner got into the car, started it, attempted drive it 30 feet into the shop & the belt broke. Those valves were $100 each! Several were bent. It happens.
My cost on a timing belt is like $10, why risk it? I change my 951 race car's belt every few weekends.
Shurick  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5thlilpiggy wrote:
morghen wrote:
if it snaps..you're missing out on a nice deal..and a car is going to the breakers.

So you personally think this is a nice deal?

It's hard to tell... Get $2000 off your wallet here and you'll buy nothing at all... I remember the times when a 931 cost about 1500 (@ those times exchange rate of Deutsche Mark). It was 12 yeas ago, unfortunately....
https://www.instagram.com/ru_pacecar/
5thlilpiggy  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
It's an s2, with ac, leather steering wheel and paint that you can polish and drive on the road..depending on why it's not revving or working it might be a nice car for about 2k fixed...so yea, from where I'm looking it's a nice deal.
I mean what's 2000 dollars to you? Is it a lot of money? Like I said before, if yes, walk away now. There is no such thing as a cheap Porsche.
If you buy it and it's junk you can get money back by parting it(Some 931 bits are expensive) or selling it as a track day project. Many 944 owners turn their heads towards the 924..many want 931s.

Its not so much about the "startup" cost. I wouldnt be at this point if I wasnt comfortable with dropping up to 2k.

My biggest concern (and reason for the thread) is that this is in a state where just getting the engine running properly would be cost prohibitive. It sounds like, if it does idle properly, this shouldnt be the case.

That being said...

What are the chances this thing needs a new clutch?
jason c  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5thlilpiggy wrote:
What are the chances this thing needs a new clutch?

Flip a coin.
While the pilot & throwout bearing can go bad from sitting, there is procedure for checking the clutch disk thickness.
It may be worth it to you to get a Haynes manual & read through it before you go look at it again, you'll have a better idea on what you're dealing with & what it will take to fix it.
MikeDanger  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try and get it down to 1500 and jump in with both feet.

show them this thread.

and thell them they made more than 500 of them!
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5thlilpiggy wrote:
MikeDanger - Thanks for the piece of mind!

Proceed with caution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: