Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

My 924 Turbo, engine work and new suspension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current Winner Racing rad has been in 18 months and counting. First one 12 months before I used too high pressure rad cap + I was leaking boost into the coolant system and it burst the cores. Partly my fault and the cracked head and not the rad's.
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

couldnt resist, it was out a very reasonable price, almost new, only used one season in a 931. Wheelspin is not a very big issue on track, though it limits me in some corners, but to keep the sweet balance in the car when i add power this will be a necessity (see engine simulation thread)

Quaife LSD

letes see when i have time to install it, hopefully this season, it wont loose value sitting around
Cedric  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soo, after a bit of a hassle with some small parts the turbo is now here, high speed balanced, billet wheel, new rings etc. Wheel do look pretty good, geometry suggests it should flow more than the stock wheel, not sure i need that flow though Hopefully the efficiency is a bit higher aswell, that would be nice..

So here it is, hybrid turbo, 931 turbine housing (#6)/bearing housing, 951 2670 (250hp) compressor side with billet wheel.

951 original vs billet, the compnut is really ugly though together with the slim hub of the billetwheel, well see if i will change it, not a lot of compressor work is carried out close to the hub, so probably doesnt matter, but it looks ugly..

Complete turbo..

WEASEL149  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice
morghen  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed.
Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need similar
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally bit the bullet and bought a replacement battery of the expensive kind, 12Ah LiFePo. I had to buy I new battery since the old one was roasted, and thought it would be fun to try some new tech.

The std battery 54Ah led acid weighs 13.5kg, so ca 11.5kg weight saving(about 25lbs in obsolete units ), which is pretty nice I must say. Now it will be interesting to see how it holds up, after reading around it seems like it should be no problem, the corvette guys use similar sized battery. I do have a battery cut of switch since the car sits for long periods.

morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, how much was it?
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
nice, how much was it?

about 360Eur, alot of money, it took some consideration. A fun but costly test

The company is run by an electrical engineer/race car driver here in sweden as his side business, what I could find the prices are very competitive. And he has been testing then for a while on his own track and daily driver with success.

Engine starting wise its twice the cranking power as my led battery, starting wise I could probably chose an even smaller battery, but wanted the extra headroom.
morghen  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm, yea its a bit of money for a battery....what about smaller ones? any cheaper? I'd look for a direct match or slightly stronger one...not double.
Any link/price list available?
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a frigging sturdy boost controller i bought, looks old school, which is good they had a slightly smaller until, but bigger must be better

Carrera RSR  

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change screws to cap head Allen bolts. Get a new alloy knob machined for it and anodise it gold
Cedric  

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work is ongoing with the engine, almost stripped and ready for lifting out now.

Also worked with IC and radiator packaging, everything is test fitted, need some brackets made and it fill fit nicely. That IC is biiiig

Goal is to have the engine bay look almost completely std, well see how i suceed.

Fun parts for the build radiatior, IC, new turbo, EGT, Quaife diff etc

Need some brackets, but seems to fit there ok.

Test mounted, although without airbox, fuel distributer etc, but it seems hide nicely.

Cedric  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress is slow but ongoing, I dont have so much time, so i take it one step at a time. New screws and nuts for the hot side are ordered, and gaskets, belts, orings etc are now all in, together with the pipe mania

Also planning on taking of the sump just for a clean, paint and new seals.

Weird with the clutch plate though, ive seen similar from the 944spec series(same part number). I blame my wife/previous owner of this engine/other people who drive my car on track without the perfect heel toe rev match . I hope the new design is better.

New vs old clutch plate

Find the fault :/

Borrowed a setrab oil cooller the same as im planning to buy, to see that it fits.

Wonder why i had drips of oil at the return pipe after a run...

Piping, oil, + diverter valve

Stripped hot side

Cedric  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go fast Turbo is now on, its so nice with all new hardware and gaskets.

Removed the sump as it leaked a bit, already had the seals on the shelf, and a painted and cleaned extra sump/oil pan. Looked really clean, appart from som coking, it was pretty hard bits, similar to cat litter. Cleaned out the oil pickup while i was there, to bad I found a bit from a valve guide seal, further on i will have to check wether its mine or a previous owner The car doesnt smoke or consume oil.

Pan is on, rear crank seal is changed again, was leaking a tiny bit. Work is now ongoing with some small stuff, cleaning, chaning some cooling hoses, cam belt, boost o ring, more seals, hoses, new clutch, clutch fork bearings etc. I hope it will be ready for dropping back before christmas (car is not in my garage and kids/house eating up the time atm)

Did a camera inspection of the cylinder walls aswell, they looked very good, honing was still very present and very few longitudinal scratches.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Performance Upgrades All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 5 of 20

Jump to: