Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

had a wet nightmare... awake!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: had a wet nightmare... awake!! Reply with quote

anyone whos read my posts knows I rebuilt my battery box...

well.. I guess I missed something...

long story short I pull out the front plug of the three in the channel wall there and a quart of water comes out!! and it hasn't rained in a week!! guess I sealed the bottom good eh?

I finally have a place to keep the car inside now and ive always had a mysterious small tiny leak there somewhere even after I rebuilt the box and now that it can stay out of the rain I figured id chast it down...

so I lost a quart of water to the bottom of those holes, then I drill a small drain hole from the backside by the tire as low as I can..

about another gallon of water comes out of the channel through the little drain hole I drilled...

I am amazed and pissed and flaberghasted etc all at the same time...

so I adapt my shop vac hose to a 1/2 drive socket that fits nicely into the hole the rubber plugs go in..

put the hose on the blow side and let it run for a half hour or so to drive all the moisture the F out of my car...

I put one plug in at a time 5 min apart or so and then with 2 plugs in I could find all the leaks because of the pressure...

turns out there were 2 small holes in the top plate of that channel with sticker type things over them, and a seam under the winsdshield a bit where air was escaping.. right where a lot of water comes off the windshield and there the sunroof drain is..

then after I was confident it was bone dry in there from my blow vac I plugged 2 hloles, put a garden hose segment in the highest hole to a funnel, and filled that channel up with over a gallon and a half of used motor oil until it came out the top plate where the small stickered holes are.

you know, to prevent rust in there....

pulled my screw out of the drain hole and drained the oil back out..

then I got some nice screws with fat heads that fit those 2 top holes and my drain hole and I screwed them in tight and flat..

sprayed my leak spots down with brake parts claner because it was a touch oily..

then used some great rubberized ashfalt undercoat over my screws and any other leak spots I found with the air pressure...

I just cant believe that much water came out of there, im still in shock, thought I would share...

id check those sticker holes in your car if I was you...
snakoil  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel you as I got same situation last year.
after a lengthy repair of the battery box I found a new lake in my car.
I haven't gotten it fixed yet but found some new holes to be taken care of.
Guess i'll look at those sticker holes as I never noticed these.
pcelenta  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like most I have had the same issues with all of the 924 I've owned. and the 79 euro had a nice surprise inside that channel...mad rust! so the question I have is where is all the water supposed to exit from once it makes its way into the channel...is it just suppose to come out of the rectangular little slot at the front of the channel...run into the tray and out the round drain? is there some secret drain inside the channel I am missing?
jason c  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It exits the channel into the tray through the small hole at the front, it then exits the tray though the drain hole in the firewall. The only drain hole in the channel is a rust hole leading to the floorboard.
pcelenta  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is one tiny hole for a lot of water to push through. I suppose the cars with sunroofs fair particularly worse since one of the drain tubes runs in there.
jason c  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drain tube runs into the battery area not the channel. The drain hole between the channel and tray drains only seepage from the channel. If the drain is plugged, it will build up water and hold it unless there is a rust hole.
Kens_74_911s  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Sealit Reply with quote

Ah for a sec thought you were dreaming about something like this and wife woke U up.

watch some TV ever seal - never seal? 19.99 !

Build a boat with a screen door bottom spray that crap on it and it won't leak...
99 BMW 328i
81 VW MK1-1.8 GTI, 5 spd Pickup
02 Explorer (wife's)
92 BMW 735iL Parting
84,85,86x3,87,944. 82-924,88-924s parted
68, 70, 72, 73, 911~ 70,73 914 past Pcars
homey  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old post . . . .but . .. trying to dry out my toofah / sunroof / battery box / etc. . . What is the " channel " you are referring to in your posting ?
2002 HD TC 88 Superglide
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee, converted to 5 Speed
PT Cruiser ,
and 5 Jetskis
Fasteddie313  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this wall with the 3 rubber plugs in it here, the passengers side of the battery box..

Here you can see it from the under side..

The battery box floor goes all the way to the passengers fenderwell under that channel and the wall with the 3 plugs goes all the way down to that battery box floor creating a big hollow cavity that I sealed very well from the bottom and didn't notice any water entry point from the top..

On the top side of that channel there under your fuel lines there are a couple holes into that channel with stickers covering them.. My stickers were flaky and let water in there..
dubrict  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcelenta wrote:
like most I have had the same issues with all of the 924 I've owned. and the 79 euro had a nice surprise inside that channel...mad rust! so the question I have is where is all the water supposed to exit from once it makes its way into the channel...is it just suppose to come out of the rectangular little slot at the front of the channel...run into the tray and out the round drain? is there some secret drain inside the channel I am missing?

From what I can tell, the original plan was for the water to collect inside, slowly create a hole, rust through, and THEN drain out to wherever the hole leads. And then repeat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> Body and Interior All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: