Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

VW Rabbit Blower Motor Install

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: VW Rabbit Blower Motor Install Reply with quote

A couple of people inquired so I decided to post how I did this. It require full commitment as both the blower box and the motor/fan will be ruined for any further use.

On mine the POS original motor was locked up, had to be turned with vise-grips. I bought an early Rabbit fan from Autohausz and it appeared that it could fit. I first cut all the fan supporting structure from the fan box.

Then trying to fit the motor in the hole I found out that I needed to cut off about all of the existing tabs that hold the two halves of the fan together. I had to add some 1/2" aluminum strips to hold it together. I later found some plastic duct hanger tape I had that worked better. Buy an assortment of screws so as not to run into the fan blade. I think I used #6's for fastening the fan along with superglue.

I decided I needed some kind of hanger ring to anchor the fan to the housing so more aluminum strips with some foam insulation tape padding and more various length screw were added. Here I used #8's of several lengths due to the decreasing radius fan scroll.

I then fit it in the housing using a temporary 1/4" spacer to make sure it did not run into the heating coil. You can see where I had to block off part of the fan outlet. Lots of fitting and tinkering was required here. I used larger #10 screws to anchor the hanger ring to the housing, 6 of them.

Then having no idea how to clean up this whole mess I created, I just sealed off the fan to the housing I found my aluminum duct tape which doesn't decay like standard duct tape and just sealed it off.

I tested it several times during the process and it seems to move quite a bit of air. Engineering wise it is a very poor installation as rather than blowing air thru the coil, I am just pressurizing the air box, a very inefficient system. I have no idea how it compares to normal as mine was toast. I'm will use my 3d modeling software to try to mold a doghouse for under the hood to cover up the unsightly mess. I figure a 944 doghouse probably won't fit.

If doing it again I would get a used blower(closest wrecking yard is 2 hrs each way) and try to gut the fan motor and make it work before destroying everything. A couple of times in the process I was ready to quit and just go without a blower.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
ksis  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at an auto parts ware house and have access to many style of fan motors. I have been thinking about an install like this. Glad to see an effort. As I have time i will fit and different styles and see how it goes. Thanks for the inspiration..
04 Jetta
77 Schwinn Scrambler
Awsome pair of Chucks

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ksiskin
ksis  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at an auto parts ware house and have access to many style of fan motors. I have been thinking about an install like this. Glad to see an effort. As I have time i will fit and different styles and see how it goes. Thanks for the inspiration..
04 Jetta
77 Schwinn Scrambler
Awsome pair of Chucks

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ksiskin
MikeJinCO  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car is is not a daily driver as we tend to winter in Mexico. If I was doing this as a DD I would reinforce the outside of the air box where the screws go thru with some epoxy/fiberglass with pieces of aluminum imbeded(sp) in it to give much stronger anchor points. I just got really tired of fooling around with it.

'67 MG Midget Dp
'71 Ocelot Dsr Kawasaki 1000(under rebuild)
musicalannette  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

i think for the later cars you can get a replacement from a t25 transporter.

£30
leadfoot  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seal it up using silicone...
Stu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> How-To All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: