Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924 Turbo track fun ! (vid)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: 924 Turbo track fun ! (vid) Reply with quote

I add a video of from a track day i July. As a gift to my brother for his exam (BioMedicine) I took him along for a track day in my car. I was the instructor for the day and boy did he like it! It was around 28 degC in the air so it was really warm, especially inside the car, and since its quite physical to drive my car he was done after a day at the track, although with a big smile. He were a little shocked after he ran in the passenger seat with me the first time, but he got used to it, to bad its so hard to capture speed on film...

Here is some runs in my car with me driving having a little battle with a track prepped e46 M3, it was very slipper slidy, but awesome fun. To bad it wanted to overheat, think there might be some air stuck in the system since I changed the fan thermostat, had to drive of the track in the end of the vid. Enjoy som 924 fun !

Dont forget to turn on HD quality now that I have uppdated my cam (Mobius cam, crazy cheap)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80KZDmDTJAw
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me applying a dab of oppo, cant really keep the rear on track out the corner.

My brother ready to get out and drive!

Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great driving!! Way to not let the M3 take off on you. I find that these little cars can more than out drive the big monsters in the curvies.

Thank you for posting, hope your brother had a great time.

Cheers

Current:
1981 924 SCCA/ChampCar Weissach Race Car ("Serenity")
1987 924S ChampCar Endurance Car ("Der Weg")
1980 924 Euro ("Wahala")
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your suspension setup on that car? If you have adjustable dampers, I might try a little stiffer on the rebound.
morghen  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed that, thanks for sharing !
An intercooler and a tad more boost and the M3 will never pass
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasta Monsta wrote:
What is your suspension setup on that car? If you have adjustable dampers, I might try a little stiffer on the rebound.

60N/mm up front (around 350lb/inch), 28mm torsrion bars, 28/22 weltmeister + stiffer bushes. 205/50 15" Michelin pilot sport cups.

The car is acutally in rain setting, I havent changed it since my wife drove a rain track day last year. But it made the car super esasy to handle way over the limit, so I kept it like that for my brothers sake who was a first timer on track. Otherwise I would have stiffened up a bit, but not to much, its quite a bumpy track so to hard can make you bump of track. Balance was quite spot on, its very easy to go between over and understeer with help of some small inputs. If I were driving myself I would have gone maybe 5-10mm more rear sway bar though, but kept it a little safe..

I think though that I ran a little high in the tyre pressure, a little lower would have helped me. But most important for next year is getting the cooling system to work again, and stop the oil drip from the turbo oil return line (will be a bastard to change that line)...

BTW. note the post-it in front of the shifter, its a reminder note (of the shift pattern)i have in the glove box in case someone without snail shell experience drive it
Cedric  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morghen wrote:
Enjoyed that, thanks for sharing !
An intercooler and a tad more boost and the M3 will never pass

I think a tad better adjusted and a engine that wouldnt overheat I would probably had speed enough... But I have been thinking of that power hike for so long !
emoore924  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice.

Of the three gauges near the shifter, what's the one on the left doing? If that's your oil pressure gauge, better check the ground or run an extra half quart (or an accusump). It looked like it was all over the place, especially around the turns. You don't want to oil starve that engine (which they are prone to do on right-hand turns...)
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emoore924 wrote:
Very nice.

Of the three gauges near the shifter, what's the one on the left doing? If that's your oil pressure gauge, better check the ground or run an extra half quart (or an accusump). It looked like it was all over the place, especially around the turns. You don't want to oil starve that engine (which they are prone to do on right-hand turns...)

Oil is fine, my center console is not. As soon as you put a finger on the panel the oil pressure gauge goes bananas. Its something really ####, tried a new ground cable but it didnt solve the problem, ill take a look at it this winter. I have been running 924s fast on track since 2005 with sticky tyres, so far it worked out great engine wise. I always run with oil at top level marker.

I have had problem once in my na with a flickering oil light. But that was a stupid misstake where the plastic stop of the oil dip stick had gotten loose, so I ran with MUCH less oil than I though I was...That was many years ago, the engine still lives on though
MikesCoupeGT  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a fun track. Pretty fast, from the looks of it you were in 4th and 5th gears the whole time.
'83 944
''19 Elantra GT N-Line
Cedric  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikesCoupeGT wrote:
Looks like a fun track. Pretty fast, from the looks of it you were in 4th and 5th gears the whole time.

Its a very short track, lap times in this vid is 1.05 at best, but its very fluent and tricky, with lots of alltitude changes. Im in 3rd and forth, not so much gear chaning, i keeps the driving fluid, I really like this track. Too bad is about 350km to go there from my house :/

According to the log im topping out about 162km/h on the straight which is slightly uphill, and then around 145km/h Vmin in the left kink under the bridge after the straight, its a pretty hairy turn..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: