Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Should I be down a gear.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bear924  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Should I be down a gear. Reply with quote

Hi all,

On the weekend I was tracking my stock 931 for the first time with R-spec tyres (so much better than normal.. yay).

Anyhow while on the track I was that I was best to stay in fourth however wanted to see if I was right. Essentially while in the fourth the lowest RPM I'd drop to was ~3k. Was that too low, should I be going down to third for that particular corner?

What are your thoughts?

Wayne
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3k isn't horrible, particularly while you're learning your car and the track.

I think on my racecar (which of course is NA so that also factors in) I don't usually get below 4k except one corner (this being with respect to 3rd gear, of course)...

If you can keep it in 4th, that must be a rather fast, open track!
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
MikesCoupeGT  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As 924RCR said, 3000 isnt too low, but what track and what corner? You might be able to talk to some of the 944 runners and see what gear they are running. But also try the corner once in third and see how it feels? Does the 931 pull strong from 3000, or does it need that higher rpm to spool the turbo?
'83 944
''19 Elantra GT N-Line
bear924  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies, below is a link to the track I was on.

http://www.qldraceways.com.au/files/Lakeside%20Park%20Aerial%20_1.pdf

When I first started I was changing into 3rd for Karrussell and Hungry. Dunlop bridge and the eastern loop are elevated.

I found my largest issue with going into 3rd was that I felt as if I was actually slowing down too much to get the 'revs right'. Certainly leaving it in fourth, I found myself going into top on MMM straight quite early out of ford corner. When I was going into 3rd at Hungry I was going into fourth until I left Ford Corner.... perhaps that's where I was going wrong, maybe I needed to change into fourth early in eastern loop??

Any other comments welcome.

edit: in fourth at 3k, I find I'm on the edge of a good push. Perhaps 3.2k it really takes off. I have nothing to prove this, just my feel on the day.
bear924  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update.

Since my last track day I took my car along to a dyno to look at torque, power and O2. Essentially I'm running way too rich which is causing my torque to collapse from 3k. I believe this explains why higher revs aren't really improving my times. Next step is to tune car however need to get some kit first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: