Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924s race at VIR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hayeslewis  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: 924s race at VIR Reply with quote

Ian and I had a great weekend at VIR. I got almost the full practice day in and found the course faster than ever, the new paving making the difference. By the end of the day I ran a full 4 seconds faster than last year.

I took the pole for the first race, but after a massive storm I made the mistake of unhooking my rear bar only to find a dry track. The car felt like a go-kart in the front and a 70's sedan in the rear. Still I held on for third

Sunday looked like it was going to be a better day as I had the rear bar re-attached and a front wheel bearing issue sorted. I looped in hog-pen on a lap that I'm convinced would have been good enough for pole. Unfortunately that was probably the end for my "race" tires as they now have 4 big flat spots to go with the 20+ heat cycles. In a tough race I held on for another podium, and Ian took home hardware too, with a 3rd in the SARRC group.

While I feel like I could have done even better, I still pinch myself every time I realize that I spend weekends RACING A PORSCHE!!!!! Racing, coming in dead last, in the middle, or first is always a pleasure.

Here's a pic of Ian and I and the Too-fahs. I wish Ian and his car were better represented, but my wife took the pic and I think she plays favorites.

2007 Armada
2013 Hyundai Elantra
1972 MG Midget Vintage project
Unstable electrified three wheeled Bicycle truck
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy. Porsche racing is da bomb!
morghen  

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, thanks for sharing.
Fifty50Plus  

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I kinda like racing Porsches too.

Wish I could have been there but it was MOTHERS DAY!!!! and the mother of my children says I should be home to pamper and lavish all day.

Looks like Kevin did another fine job in our old 2002.
1981 924 Turbo a real PoS, new engine
1982 924 Turbo nice body, blown engine
1972 911 E race car - going to Vintage
Various 944s to become IT-S race car
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry gents for the very long delay, I have been extremely busy changing careers and have honestly been too tired of working on a computer all day to hop on and even type anything....

VIR was a great time and it really gave me a very honest view of where I stand in my racing journey...I need to be way more aggressive as you will see from the start of the Sunday race, if I had moved up on the 2002 and not let the STL Miata (I thought he would have been much faster) by then I think that I would have been in a little better shape for the rest of the race. Not saying that I am fast, but my race craft is at a rookie's level, and I really had a hard time trying to get by them.

Sadly, my Autozone throttle cable did not fee like finishing the race, but I made the checker and the podium.

Next race next weekend at Roebling....where most of the guys from VIR will be....we'll see how it goes.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=668099066571298&set=vb.252353601479182&type=2&theater

( you can see Hayes up a few positions from me for the first two laps...then he takes off

Cheers.

Current:
1981 924 SCCA/ChampCar Weissach Race Car ("Serenity")
1987 924S ChampCar Endurance Car ("Der Weg")
1980 924 Euro ("Wahala")
peterld  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a great race Ian......what a hoot!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924 Racing Today All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: