Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

928 S4 Engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThomasJoseph315  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: 928 S4 Engine Reply with quote

Would that bolt in to an early 924 like mine? I found a complete 928 for $500 and wouldn't mind swapping the engines if it would fit.
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will physically fit in the engine bay (the engine bay is slightly larger in the 924/944 than the 928's). Not sure about mounts, wiring, controls, etc.

I don't know about the torque tube mating to the 928 bellhousing since the 928's have their clutch in the back with the transaxle let alone have room for the clutch and parts.

Also, the 928 motor isn't known for reliability or power (in stock, early form)

I'd look at an Audi V8:

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t2002-944-audi-v8

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t2355-posche-924-audi-42-v8-abz

Or an Audi I5:

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t1348-first-audi-20vt-converision-in-usa-is-done
Khal  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an Engine Transplants forum...

...and with a quick search, apparently it's been done at least once.
9xx  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat22turbo wrote:

I tried not to answer to this post but couldn't resist.

"Also, the 356 motor isn't known for reliability or power (in stock, early form)"

"Also, the 912 motor isn't known for reliability or power (in stock, early form)"

"Also, the 914 motor isn't known for reliability or power (in stock, early form)"

"Also, the 924 motor isn't known for reliability or power (in stock, early form)"

"Also, the 944 motor isn't known for reliability or power (in stock, early form)"

"Also, the 911 motor isn't known for reliability or power (in stock, early form)"

The 928 engine is for certain quite reliable when serviced as factory suggest. In euro form it also provides decent power starting from 240hp -->

Arguing in the internet is futile but come on, there is nothing wrong with the 928 engine

All gone: 931 '82 Alpine White, original option "220" G31 with LSD + 3 x 944
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9xx wrote:
fiat22turbo wrote:

I tried not to answer to this post but couldn't resist.

"Also, the 356 motor isn't known for reliability or power (in stock, early form)"

"Also, the 912 motor isn't known for reliability or power (in stock, early form)"

"Also, the 914 motor isn't known for reliability or power (in stock, early form)"

"Also, the 924 motor isn't known for reliability or power (in stock, early form)"

"Also, the 944 motor isn't known for reliability or power (in stock, early form)"

"Also, the 911 motor isn't known for reliability or power (in stock, early form)"

The 928 engine is for certain quite reliable when serviced as factory suggest. In euro form it also provides decent power starting from 240hp -->

Arguing in the internet is futile but come on, there is nothing wrong with the 928 engine

Compared to other options, its a boat anchor these days. 600lbs of engine and only 240hp? C'mon.

The Audi V8 is an easier swap, weighs about 200lbs less and makes 100+ more hp and requires just as much maintenance.

Not saying you can't improve the 928 engine, especailly an S4 motor, but to be honest the 924 engine can also be improved. Is it worth it? Depends on the owner and I was merely expressing my opinion based on lots of research spent on potential engine swaps that don't involve yet another LSx swap.
9xx  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you have a point there but in my opinion it is not the engine but the automatic gearbox where things starts to go wrong. 928 with manual gearbox is quite quick even with 240hp, let alone with +300hp versions. Of course the Audi V8 is not bad either.

All gone: 931 '82 Alpine White, original option "220" G31 with LSD + 3 x 944
Horizonblue  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done a 924-928 V8 swap, but I'm pretty sure you would have to fabricate a lot of special bits and pieces to make the 928 engine fit in the original 924 bay. And off course ditch the brake booster and install hydro boost.

Even though my straight six engine could bolt right onto the bell housing, I still needed to fabricate some brackets and modify the cross member.

If I was going to recommend an "easy" engine swap, it would be the 20V Audi inline 5.

I don't think there is such a thing as an easy V8 swap, unless you purchase a renegade or Texas performance kit and install an LS engine. And they don't even have a kit for the early 924, so a 944 kit needs to be modified.

The aforementioned Audi V8 swap isn't easy either. Both threads on the 944 hybrids forum has been dead for ages, without any conclusion. (just like the VR6 swap threads out there....)

In one of the Audi V8 threads, it can be seen that the engine oil pump is located at the worst spot ever. Just over the cross member/steering rack. The other guy is moving the engine towards the front to get more clearance, but then he can't close the bonnet......

"If you can't fix it, don't break it"

/P.G. Andersen
ThomasJoseph315  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horizonblue, you have any pics of your build? I'm not 100% dead set on the 928, I just seen it was selling for cheap. What size engine is the 5 cylinder? Do you have an engine code? I just know that this 1980 engine isn't going to cut it forever.

You talking about the engine that is in this? LOL,.. yea that will do it . I would have to swap out the 944 tube and rear end I think, but would be fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPbgU9D-nxM
kcoyle  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother has a 89 S4 with a manual box and it's plenty quick.
That said that motor is still old in every way and maintenance isn't cheap.
If I was going to reinvent the wheel I'd go with a common 4cyl turbo engine requiring the least amount of work.

Look like lots of work but a great choice.

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=37749&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.
Horizonblue  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThomasJoseph315 wrote:
Horizonblue, you have any pics of your build? I'm not 100% dead set on the 928, I just seen it was selling for cheap. What size engine is the 5 cylinder? Do you have an engine code? I just know that this 1980 engine isn't going to cut it forever.

You talking about the engine that is in this? LOL,.. yea that will do it . I would have to swap out the 944 tube and rear end I think, but would be fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPbgU9D-nxM

This is my straight six build.
http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=37139

Step 1 is completed, the engine is in the car and it's running. Step two is to get more power = EFI, maybe a supercharger. One thing at a time. These days I'm doing a little bodywork on the car, installing a 944 turbo front and a bolt-on badge panel, so the power increase must wait.

The inline 5 I would recommend, is the 7A engine. A guy in The Netherlands has installed such an engine in his 944.

http://www.944-20v.nl/

"If you can't fix it, don't break it"

/P.G. Andersen
nickthompson  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcoyle wrote:
My brother has a 89 S4 with a manual box and it's plenty quick.
That said that motor is still old in every way and maintenance isn't cheap.
If I was going to reinvent the wheel I'd go with a common 4cyl turbo engine requiring the least amount of work.

Look like lots of work but a great choice.

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=37749&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I'm going to check and probably purchase a 1.8 turbo tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: