Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Cheap Rim/Tire combo's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThomasJoseph315  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Cheap Rim/Tire combo's Reply with quote

So I might be racing my 924 at Fontana this Aug, and I need to get a race set of tires and rims.

What would be the best bang for the buck. What is the widest tires and rims you can fit on this car and what would be the best kind or rim for this?

I'm focusing on functionality, not look...
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of racing? Autocross? Drag?

Check out the wheel thread for ideas. Since you're still 4-lug, you have 4x108mm bolt pattern which is also a 4x4.25" bolt pattern. Many early Audi and some VW's used this pattern as did many Fords.

The trick is finding wheels with the proper wheel offset/backspace, cheap or not! That is the trick.

Diamond Racing Wheels are fairly cheap for new wheels and can be made in different widths and offsets.

Figure 225 section width tires are about the limit at the front with maybe 235 in the rear with some gentle fender rolling and some negative camber to help improve handling and clearance. So 7-8" wide in the front and 8-9" in the rear.

Some might have fit wider, but getting those tires up to temp at an Autocross with a fairly lightweight 924 might be a problem unless you're running fairly soft slicks. Either way, you'll want around -1 degree of camber all the way around with perhaps a bit more up front to help keep the contact patch fairly flat with the ground when you're at the apex.

Good luck!
ThomasJoseph315  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna be some top speed and turns involved. Club racing I guess, people are bringing daily drivers. It should be fun. I just don't want to use my stock tires.

snakoil  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some 1.25inches adapters to get 4x100
I can now run typical civic wheels (42 offset) which is pretty cheap on the used market here
Mars478  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 924 came with some crappy rice wheels with 4x108 to 4x100 adapters...

Daily: 99 ML320, 210k and still trucking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you find a set of the four lug phone dials? They are great wheels for racing or track as they are very light.

Reason to swap over to five lug

I would look at Toyo RA1s or R777s. They are very good R Comp tires that have a very good feel to them and taper off gradually when they are at the edge. They have a good tread on them so they will also preform (better than Hoosiers or Kumhos) in the rain.

Falken R Comps would also suit you rather well for just and occasional track day. From what I hear they are very forgiving but can still be driven extremely hard.

Both tires will give you a very long life in the tire (for R Comps) and can be driven on the street if you need to.

Remember (I don't know you level of track experience, so no insult intended) the stickier the tires, the harder you brake pads will work when stopping as the tires will have a lot of grip and could superheat stock pads and cause them to fade rather badly. I would toss some ATE Gold brake fluid in there and some Hawk HPS pads and you should be set.

Good luck!!
Cheers

Ian

Current:
1981 924 Weissach Race Car ("Serenity")
1980ish 931 ("Alice")
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: