Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

audi engine

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2000 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: michaeljosbarnes@aol.com
Date: 2/13/00
Time: 11:17:43 PM

i understand that the reason my 79 924 is so 'disvalued' and 'unreliable' is because the motor was manufactured by audi
what is the weekness to this motor and how can it be fixed?
is an 81 924 still the same motor by audi or is it made by porche(or someone else)
thanks for the time and i love the site

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2000 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: webmeister@924.org
Date: 2/14/00
Time: 10:08:01 AM

All '924' and 931 share the same basic Audi100 engine. The later 924S uses the Porsche designed 944 engine.

The Audi design is actually a very durable engine. The weak link is the head but even it is not a problem unless abused.

No, it is not a trivial excersize to fit the 944 engine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2000 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: hfrick@telusplanet.net
Time: 10:19:08 AM

im actually a 914 guy,but i bought my 77?924 at an insurance auction for my wife to drive,after bringing it home i found out it would only turn over a partial revolution,upon further inspection i found a crack in the oil pan where it apears theres a rod "trying to get out"i havent yet found a donor engine in this neck of the woods,but i do have a 5 cyl audi 5000 engine.i have also looked at other engine conversions v6 & v8 any recommendations ? like everyone id like power,reliability,and dont really want to spend much.....thanks hardy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2000 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time: 10:19:26 AM

im actually a 914 guy,but i bought my 77?924 at an insurance auction for my wife to drive,after bringing it home i found out it would only turn over a partial revolution,upon further inspection i found a crack in the oil pan where it apears theres a rod "trying to get out"i havent yet found a donor engine in this neck of the woods,but i do have a 5 cyl audi 5000 engine.i have also looked at other engine conversions v6 & v8 any recommendations ? like everyone id like power,reliability,and dont really want to spend much.....thanks hardy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2000 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time: 11:30:46 AM

i had the same problem i had a 78 924 and i drove it home and was showin it off to my neighbor not really just kinda revin it up as we took off and i heard a tremendous bang and the engine died then i tried to start it and the starter just grinded away so i went out to look and i saw a piston and rod hangin out the side of the block it sure scared the hell out of me and all my friends told me the audi engine was notorious for this.
anyway i do know were there is a 924 1981 vw motor i could ship it for 400+shipping im not sure how well of a runner it is but i know it is rebuildable i know were there are some other engines from anywhere between 600 - 1500
email me at the above address and we can talk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2000 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time: 11:31:03 AM

i had the same problem i had a 78 924 and i drove it home and was showin it off to my neighbor not really just kinda revin it up as we took off and i heard a tremendous bang and the engine died then i tried to start it and the starter just grinded away so i went out to look and i saw a piston and rod hangin out the side of the block it sure scared the hell out of me and all my friends told me the audi engine was notorious for this.
anyway i do know were there is a 924 1981 vw motor i could ship it for 400+shipping im not sure how well of a runner it is but i know it is rebuildable i know were there are some other engines from anywhere between 600 - 1500
email me at the above address and we can talk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2000 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: i97lafr@itek.chalmers.se
Time: 2:05:21 PM

Hardy,

If you are looking for a smooth, reliable engine with plenty of torque and a superb sound, then look no further! I read that you already own an Audi 5 cylinder engine, and in my opinion this engine would fit the character of the 924 perfectly. Do you have the 2,3 litre, 136 hp version? If possible - use that engine!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2000 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email:
Time: 2:21:26 PM

AUDI 924 2.0 liter ....I have yet to see one blow-up, but I have heard of it three times so far. That is better than the 944, which I have seen three of them disintegrate and heard of dozens more.

I have consistently reved a 931 engine to redline on two different cars without failure. This was of course under load, if you do it without load you are looking for trouble.

The only weakness in the audi motor is the Porsche designed cooling system. The engine sits higher than the rest of the cooling sytem. Low coolant means hot head which means blown headgasket.

If you ever have a chance to look at one of the motors torn down, they are rather simple and beefy for a four cylinder. They were originally a truck motor after all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2000 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: pepworth@aol.com
Date: 2/15/00
Time: 5:44:07 AM

i too would be interested in making my 924 more powerful but there is not much info here in the uk. how easy is it to put an audi 5 cylinder engine into a 924 and would it effect the weight distribution

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2000 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time: 10:47:10 AM

do you have any idea what is involved in putting the audi 5 cyl engine in?is it basic a bolt in or are there other mods required?it looks like i should be able to use all my org.accessories,how about wiring /injection system etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2000 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: i97lafr@itek.chalmers.se
Time: 1:28:16 PM

Hardy,

As far as I know, it isn't just a simple bolt-on job. The 5 cyl oil pan might be too low and I am not sure if the original clutch bellhousing will fit the 5 cyl engine. Engine conversion issues are frequently discussed in the 924/944 list on www.rennlist.org. Post a message there and I am willing to bet there is someone who has made a 5 cyl conversion.

Best regards
Fredrik

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2000 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: Robert.Sarmiento@OAG.STATE.TX.US
Date: 18 Feb 2000
Time: 11:57:30

Bob,

Maybe I was missinformed, but was'nt the Audi 100 a 4 door sedan?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2000 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email: webmeister@924.org
Date: 18 Feb 2000
Time: 19:25:01

I think so.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2000 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email:
Date: 19 Feb 2000
Time: 11:59:29

They also were outifitted in AMC Spirits and Postal Jeeps, I've heard the were in gremlins, but I've never actually looked. I have two spirit engines and one postal engine. They are all carb engines with steel valve covers and steel oil pans, even one has a 4 speed manual tha bolts right to the block. This means they don't have fuel injection ports, it has the casting area but no machining. The spark plugs are on the exhaust side.

The engine was, as I understood it, developed for trucks and were outfitted with turbos, they may have even been diesels. I remember an article stating how in the truck application the turbo lived for well over 100K miles due to the fact they engines were left running all the time. Now I don't know if this ment the turbo on a different engine or the same audi 2.0 engine with a turbo. This was quoted from a Porsche letter looking into premature turbo failures in the 931. Porsche stated then to let the engine ideal down for 2 or 3 minutes to let the turbo spool down and to oil cool.

They were in the Audi 100 sedans. I've never seen one of them either. Our Euro friends maybe be able to find out the truth on what the engines were outfitted in and when. There may be some untapped parts and performance items out there. And maybe a supply of turbo heads and we don't know it.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    924Board.org Forum Index -> Posts Rescued From the Old Board All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: