Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Engine rebuild and dumb questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpdorfer  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked my way through the emissions problem and passed NC's inspection and save for one troublesum oil leak (at the flange of the oil line to the turbo) the car is running great . Oil pressure is midrange and aside from the temperatrue gauge bouncing all over the place. Life is generally good. OK so what is my question/concern?

The engine temperature is running on the high side of mid range on the gauge. Is this normal for a 931???
Zuffen  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if between the middle and three quarter mark ...yes

At least mine does in the summer and drops to th elower side of the middle mark the rest of the year, except for cold winter when it sticks around the first quarter mark.

I have Way too many cars, parts for the 931,944 and 951
larso  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's normal, to a certain extent...confirm with meat thermometer, and make sure the temp gauge is in fact working. I had a 931 with a bad gauge, or sender (never clarified), and the engine would overheat when the needle was not even halfway up.

If your gauge and everything else are ok, then it's normal, but I always turn my air conditioning fan on when the temp goes up a bit. I don't have air conditioning in my car, so I use the switch to turn on my fan (have rigged up the wires to do so). Also you can try a lower temp thermostat, plus a lower temp fan switch. I find the car gets hot when you're not moving, so the fan really really helps when you are town driving. Porsche didn't do a very good job of making the fans come on when they are supposed to (temp is set way to high, in my opinion), and this is what kills the 931 engines, and makes Porsche rich. Maybe intentional, or maybe they just didn't research or weren't smart enough to realize(yeah right) that turbos need lower temp rad switches.

But once winter comes, don't run the car too cold with thick oil, might want to swap switches and thermostats at that point. That's why I like the fan control idea, so tat I can put my fan on when I want to, instead of juggling around with switches and thermostats every season!
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to bleed the cooling system as well! Use ramps or a steep hill for the best results.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Tech. All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: