Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

924S bolt on performance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mothman  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO far ive seen the following bolt on parts to this engine;
cone filter intake kit - 200
chip - 200
Nitrous - 550

I must say there must be something else
Any body have any clues?
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is always more but money is the question, dont forget adding a turbo
mothman  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In adding a turbo to a NA 2.5L - is it even feasible. Or would you save much time and money by just dropping a 944turbo motor in with all the bells and whistles? Or is there option for a low power turbo (such as running one under 5 or 6 psi) with out much modification?
Lizard  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the best option for you is to get a low km 944turbo but that is lots of money or you can just get a BAE turbo kit
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any BAE turbo kit for the 924S. Maybe you'd like to elaborate on this Lizard?
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mothman:

How much money are you willing to spend, and what kind of horsepower are you looking for?
There are MAF kits available for the 924S here.

There is a supercharger kit here..

And another one here.
Mich924S  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be sorely tempted to get one of those superchargers if I could find someone to install it! I'm not mechanically inclined and if someone knows someone in Michigan who could install this thingy, I would be very interested to be a *test* case on my low mileage 87 924S I think it would be perfect. Then I'd throw in a nitrous kit just for kicks.
mothman  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the links.

I am looking for horsepower in the 180/190 hp at the flywheel range. So not a whole lot but enough to blow by the stock S. As far as money goes, i dont really want to put more than a grand into it,, but its looking grim.

What Id really like to try is some DIY projects. Like maybe a rebuild of the MAF without a premade kit?? Or even the rigging of a super of turbo charger without the expensive kit attached? I definitely am going to try anything like this first. Anybody know of any plans or ideas in this fashion??
gohim  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are asking for the HP increase from 150hp to 240hp at the flywheel. That's what an early 944T is rated at (figuring 20% loss through the drivetrain.

That just isn't going to happen without serious bug buck surgery inside of the engine, with major parts replacement.

Bolt on parts replacement for $1000 is not going to do it.

Don't waste your money, be happy with the car the way it is, or sell or trade the 924S, and buy a 944T.

[ This Message was edited by: gohim on 2002-08-15 08:28 ]
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Gohim. For $1000 the best you can expect is a few horsepower. You're better off selling the 924S and buying a 944 turbo, or at least having more realistic goals. IMO, you would enjoy the car a lot more if you kept that $1000 around for maintenance, or did shocks/struts, swaybars, and maybe wheels/tires. Best of luck.
mothman  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gohim for changing my horsepower goal from 180 to 240. I do enjoy the extra power.

but i do agree with you guys, this engine is not one to be played with for one short on change.
gohim  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, brain glitch...

You did write you wanted 180-190 at the flywheel, not 230-240hp.

This is stil a gain of 30-40hp over stock, and I would think with a properly designed and installed NOS system should be achievable for short periods.

I don't think you can get that much of a hp improvement on a daily driving basis without a compression bump, and remapping the DME to take advantage of premium fuel. You would have to ask F.Wilk about that the computer reprograming and what is possible that way.

The 88 cars gained 10hp (to 160hp) with DME reprogramming and a compression bump of 1/2 point.

[ This Message was edited by: gohim on 2002-08-15 13:01 ]
924 turbo  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably should have asked if you were willing to do the work yourself. Even so, it would be very difficult (excepting NOS) to get anywhere near 30 horsepower out of a 924S without spending lots of money.
Porschephile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering a 968 motor. I have heard of one instance when they twin turboed it, and got 900+ HP! but that is friggin crazy
baker87  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For smaller gains, the big bore throttle body helps in low range, throttle response cam. High Performance fuel Pressure regulator. Design your own cool air intake. Header, test pipe, Performance muffler. All good gains. You could probably do all of these for under $1000
baker87
Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 924S Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: