Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Boost after 4 years? Can it be?!?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... Cheers!

I don't even remember where I got the plugs this time... could be aftermarket, wouldn't be surprised...
'79 924 #77 SCCA H Prod racecar
'82 931 Plat. Silver
#25 Hidari Firefly P2 sports prototype
vatoisimo  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN the past I have used the rubber compression plugs. There is a piece of rubber with metal on both sides and a bolt thru the whole thing. You slide it in the hole, and tighten the bolt. this causes the rubber to push out and seals the hole.
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Woodward Dream Cruise update Reply with quote

I was asked to show both of my racecars at a show this weekend (at a neighbor's) for the Dream Cruise... so there's no racecars in my garage to work with!!! What will I do!!!

Oh, yeah, fix the Turbo!!

Previous to this... I was able to replace the one leaking freeze plug and get it to seal, thanks to Hondabond. So the cooling problem was fixed, yay!

But the car wasn't running properly; wouldn't go beyond small throttle applies. This pointed to the throttle position switches; after removal and readjustment, all was well; note that the earlier good adjustment I'd had was lost when I rebuilt the throttle body with one of Ideola's TB reseal kit.

But then I drove it some more... running better, now makes power with throttle, but seems like no boost, as really weak power, like an NA... yet I can easily hear the boost! WTF??

Then I realized... I probably assembled the compressor bypass valve backwards, which would indeed result in no boost - instead of opening with vacuum, it'd open with boost, and allow nothing more than ambient pressure in the intake.

I popped one of the covers off; not enough to service, but enough to verify that the spring and piston were indeed reversed. Thankfully, in the process of identifying the correct orientation in the manuals, I came across a procedure for servicing the valve in-car which noted that it was possible and approved (for seal replacement) by just removing the water pump.

OK, not trivial, but doable within an hour or so, and beats removing the turbo!! Did so, sure enough with the water pump out it was easy, and reversed and reinstalled. Drove around - now the idle and mixture settings appear to be off again, it has a bit of stumble off-idle, but boosts nice, like I remember. Looks like I'll get to drive this car a bit this year before winter sets in, maybe break in the engine yet!

So today, in addition to retrieving my racecars and putting them away, the other order of business is to properly heat and bleed the cooling system, then set idle and mixture. Also have to clean off the windows properly, Rain-X, and get some new wipers. Maybe fix the one headlight that's not working - probably corroded fuse - and a couple of other gauge lights that aren't lighting up.

But it's amazing how well so many things have held up over time; too bad my tires are dry-rotted now!! Then again, they were almost done anyway... just have to find some new ones...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
924RACR  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost there. Headlight's working after a remove and reinstall of the plugs on the backside of the relay board. Still have more work to do back in there to clean grounds etc, but functional now. Also cleaned out the wiper motor; quite a bit of corrosion in there thanks to sitting in a puddle. They work at an acceptable rate now, though not fast sadly - so a return visit there would be good too, re-check grounds etc.

Defrost fan also doesn't work yet, haven't looked at that.

But I could drive it except that for a remaining boost leak; have to go back in and try again.

Almost there; just a matter of finding time again, but the weather for the next few days is sure to keep me inside and working on racecars...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
924RACR  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Followed advice of coworkers, and made a plug to replace the air flow meter, with a nipple for the compressor stuck in the middle - dial back compressor to 20psi and look for the leak.

Pretty big and obvious, once I did that! Turns out I hadn't properly seated the outer o-ring at the throttle body - for the connection to the boost tube - so a MASSIVE leak there. Just got lucky at that; last time I did that, I cut the o-ring. This time I was able to remove the boost tube, realign everything, and carefully reinsert ensuring the o-ring was in place.

All good now, holds boost great, and makes nice power once again!!

Defrost fan works fine, still think I have to fix the one lame low beam connection.

Now I gotta drive it some.
'82 931 Plat. Silver
924RACR  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: 500+ miles! Reply with quote

Just a note to mention that I cleared 500 miles for break-in last week, yay! Still have to chase down a replacement injector cup; all were leaking, I resealed and re-torqued 'em again, but one stripped the threads (off the insert, not the head!), so I'll have to replace it outright. Mostly works great, though, and running pretty close to happy/where it was again!

Boy, did I miss this car - sure makes the commute all better...

Have a number of loose ends still to resolve, then I think I can think about having some fun in the spring, maybe even finally getting that boost gauge and intercooler installed and turn the boost up! I'm also pondering making a new 3" exhaust, and wondering about a new wastegate... those Lindsey 951 units are pretty sweet...
'82 931 Plat. Silver
morghen  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

931 is such a nice car to drive.
cant wait to have mine registered to use as daily for work.
Rasta Monsta  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't beat the quality of the 931 wastegate, IMO. Lindsey actually takes 951 valve bodies and modifies them to be dual port units like ours (which also appeared on 930 and 917 variants).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> 931 Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: