Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Bought a 500 dollar 924 (build thread)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mars478  

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my update for the week. I am finally getting a move on, and am starting the trajectory on making the car nice. Things I have purchased this past week online include

-Windshield epoxy for delaminating rear hatch.

-Double DIN reverse radio wiring harness to wire in an old Mercedes radio out of my ML (will remove the benz logo, see how it looks here: http://instagram.com/p/oe8l9UI3it/)

-Cheap-o muffler and muffler clamps, to mitigate the straight pipe right now.

-Door handle dog-leg after one of them broke this past winter (drivers) and I fixed the lock on the passenger side door after removing a fragment of a stuck key.

-Shifter, shift knob, and boot.

In other news regarding the fuel pump repair, everything appears OK for now, the car doesn't appear to want to get all the way to redline unless I hold it for a long time in gear, but it starts right up. Another slight issue I'm having is that on a cold start, giving it any gas more than feathering the throttle will cause it to miss until it warms up a bit. This is a big improvement over what it was in the past where I would have to turn it on and off about 3 times before the car would stay running, but still I would like to fix this issue.

Another question: are the RPM gauge and gas level gauge on a common ground?

Daily: 99 ML320, 210k and still trucking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mars478  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's an update.

After ruining one muffler (don't ask), I finally installed one properly on and rock solid with the butt clamp. The only issue is the muffler moves around a little but I guess I'll have to fashion a make-shift clamp. The car sounds interesting now, and the exhaust leak I had forgotten about that is where the catalytic converter used to be is much more prominent now. I'll have to deal with that eventually since the car will be much quieter without it.

I have finally gotten the steering mostly dialed in, along with the steering wheel mostly straight. The tie rod end replacement made an amazing difference in steering wheel. Now I have some play in the steering shaft so I am wondering what I can do to fix it. It's nothing that's worrisome, it's just a little annoying.

My hatch is nearly completely unsealed, so I tried to reseal it and it seems to be holding up, but I think I will have to remove the glass and do it properly eventually. I have to work on the locking mechanisms for the hatch and the pins which are pretty worn out (I have forgotten to disconnect the hatch struts and the hatch opens up on me as I drive.)

I think I will strip the interior and make it "race car" style (since this is the direction I think I will take the car)

Now for two final issues that I'm dealing with, the tires, I have not changed them since I've gotten the car but they REALLY need to be replaced. They have no grip at all and are useless (which proves fun in slightly sharp turns, resulting in a pretty sweet and controlled drift!). Any recommendations for tires on the 15" 4-lug spiderwebs?

The last issue is something I think I will make a separate post on, but after like an hour of driving the car likes to run on 3 cylinders. I don't understand why but my hunch is that it's injector related.

Here's some pictures:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
deborah5123  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 500 dollar 924 (build thread) Reply with quote

Wow! Good luck with your project. I hope when you finish your project you will post the finish product here.
MikesCoupeGT  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your car is looking good.

As for request for tires. I would recommend the Dunlop Direzza Dr02. I have a set on my car, and with two days at Watkins Glen and 1 hour at my local track (Calabogie Motorsports Park) they are really good and hold up really well. Plus they are pretty quiet on the street too.

Cost effective as well.
'83 944
''19 Elantra GT N-Line
homey  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had started to say something wrong , but lucky i can edit . so just say great looking $500 toofah
BajaPro  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to get enough from this thread and I am always checking back for updates. Love seeing this $500 car come back to life!
Zeek  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say it ain't so!

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/cto/4619706802.html
Mars478  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I've listed the 24 on craigslist considering I have a much nicer condition 944. I still have both cars as of right now.

BajaPro  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mars478 wrote:
Yep, I've listed the 24 on craigslist considering I have a much nicer condition 944. I still have both cars as of right now.

Let's see some pics of the 944.
Mars478  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are tons on my Instagram account.

Instagram.com/mars478

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: