Show full size 924Board.org
Discussion Forum of 924.org

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Technical FAQ924 FAQ (Technical)   Technical924 Technical Section   Jump to 924.org924.org   Jump to PCA 924 Registry924 Registry

Bought a 500 dollar 924 (build thread)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mars478  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What on earth did the PO do to the shifter? This is with all that red crap removed

I put the red shift knob on because the one I bought doesn't fit... How is this thing supposed to fit on the shifter rod?

Daily: 99 ML320, 210k and still trucking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like he cut the top off. You'll need to replace that lever completely to fix it to use the stock-style knob.

Might I suggest this:
http://only944.com/blog/tag/porsche-944-shifter/

As a subtle improvement to work around a common problem without changing the shifter throw, just improving the stock throw and feel.
Mars478  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat22turbo wrote:
Looks like he cut the top off. You'll need to replace that lever completely to fix it to use the stock-style knob.

Might I suggest this:
http://only944.com/blog/tag/porsche-944-shifter/

As a subtle improvement to work around a common problem without changing the shifter throw, just improving the stock throw and feel.

Ack the fun never ends with this car. How hard is it to replace the lever? (I'm stupid, I read the instructions provided on that site. It doesn't seem that bad. My shifter doesn't have very much play at the moment so this isn't a priority but eventually it would be a nice mod Thanks for the tip!) I bought a shifter knob with cover from a B5 passat and am going to modify that to fit what is there know because I cannot stand the red garbage. The replaced lever will have to be down the line..

In other news, put 1 hatch strut in instead of two hoping that would curb delamination but I was wrong, it just creaked right off the frame. Seems like it was a mistake, anyhow, eventually I'll have to re seal the glass to the frame with some Urethane.

I made a small video showing the brake line leak, going to post it up and see if anyone can help me out with a source for the part or instructions on how to make it. Put in my DME relay and now the car starts and stops on it's own! Replaced center console cassette holder thingy with a new looking one, along with one of the side reflectors. I also found out today that the seats have a ferrari logo on the seat belt clip thing (the red button to eject the seat belts).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, yeah that was not a good idea to only install one strut.

944 hatches fit, shoot for as new as possible so you can avoid the separation problems for as long as possible. You can either keep the rear wing or remove it and use a smaller 924 wing or none at all.

You probably buy a OEM shift lever from a 944 for a couple of bucks, but it may have a bad/worn pin on it.
Mars478  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat22turbo wrote:
Uh, yeah that was not a good idea to only install one strut.

944 hatches fit, shoot for as new as possible so you can avoid the separation problems for as long as possible. You can either keep the rear wing or remove it and use a smaller 924 wing or none at all.

You probably buy a OEM shift lever from a 944 for a couple of bucks, but it may have a bad/worn pin on it.

Oops... Should I order a new one for the other side as well? I've seen a few hatches in the neighborhood of 150-ish so that's not too to terrible, but its expensive enough for me to want to attempt to restore this one in the near future. Not really a priority at the moment as there are bigger fish to fry... like the brakes.

kcoyle  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also just plastidip the shift know black for now, or maybe hit it with some oven cleaner to get the red off and polish it.
This would be the boot for the factory shifter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-924-944-968-NEW-SHIFT-BOOT-FOR-SHIFTER-1976-95-/130358214451?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e59f47f33&vxp=mtr

This would be the factory shifter.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-924S-944-5-SPEED-SHIFT-ROD-HANDLE-GOOD-CONDITION-/151163442509?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23320b154d&vxp=mtr

Also, this is a great help when looking for parts or figuring out how things go together. Check the brake section for diagrams.

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/de/D_924_85_KATALOG.pdf

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.
Mars478  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Found a guy selling parts who offered to sell me a complete and not delaminated hatch off a 944 along with a complete exhaust for 140, and he said he would try to get me the brake line as well... If not I'm going to try to find a shop to fabricate this line for me. Video of the leaky line(s).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsgVT7PO1f8

John The Californian  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideola has some short throws for sale in his used section.
http://garage.ideola.com/used-Interior.html?albumid=5319737039740458177&photoid=5891016411616188370
Luckily there is two because I would like to get one as well... Once I find that money tree I misplaced.
And yeah, you can pull out the whole center console and plasidip that. Comes out looking pretty nice.
Mars478  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John The Californian wrote:
http://garage.ideola.com/used-Interior.html?albumid=5319737039740458177&photoid=5891016411616188370
Luckily there is two because I would like to get one as well... Once I find that money tree I misplaced.
And yeah, you can pull out the whole center console and plasidip that. Comes out looking pretty nice.

Thanks for the link! A little expensive for a used shifter and I don't think that will work on my 5 speed (it says G31 trans and that's the 4 speed right?)

ideola  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mars478 wrote:
John The Californian wrote:

Thanks for the link! A little expensive for a used shifter and I don't think that will work on my 5 speed (it says G31 trans and that's the 4 speed right?)

That is one of the prototypes for the short shifter on my site, and it is only for the snailshell transmission. It will not work for the Audi-based transmissions (neither the 4-speed nor the 5-speed version).
fiat22turbo  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mars478 wrote:
Thanks!

Found a guy selling parts who offered to sell me a complete and not delaminated hatch off a 944 along with a complete exhaust for 140, and he said he would try to get me the brake line as well... If not I'm going to try to find a shop to fabricate this line for me. Video of the leaky line(s).

Good lord, tin worm sucks there! Get yourself some hard lines from a donor, whoever installed those was a hack as they mangled the lines badly (probably used regular pliers to do the bends, etc).
agfisher  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mars478 wrote:
Thanks!

Is that a zip tie I see holding that line in place?
Ian89C4  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I redid that section of line on my car, but pulled everything and spent the bones on a flare kit and good bender.

If you are not comfortable with trying to make the new hard lines, I would take it to a shop...a close shop...I would not drive that thing very far

Good luck on the build...you have a subscriber here...keep the updates coming

Cheers,

Ian

Current:
1981 924 SCCA/ChampCar Weissach Race Car ("Serenity")
1987 924S ChampCar Endurance Car ("Der Weg")
1980 924 Euro ("Wahala")
Mars478  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agfisher wrote:
Mars478 wrote:
Thanks!

Is that a zip tie I see holding that line in place?

It is a ziptie.... unfortunately.

Mars478  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian89C4 wrote:
I redid that section of line on my car, but pulled everything and spent the bones on a flare kit and good bender.

If you are not comfortable with trying to make the new hard lines, I would take it to a shop...a close shop...I would not drive that thing very far

Good luck on the build...you have a subscriber here...keep the updates coming

Cheers,

Ian

I've got a friend who has a shop who says he can make me the line. Haven't had any luck finding the particular part unfortunately. Last resort is for me to make the line, and although I do feel comfortable enough with my abilities to create the line, the cost of the tools is sort of a barrier at the moment.

Car is undriveable at the moment, haven't driven it at all apart from putting it in the parking spot it was in and even that was incredibly scary with no brakes (had to slam the e-brake to make the car stop).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    924Board.org Forum Index -> General Discussions All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: